Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pofig and other trees in TANE

Default Pofig and other trees in TANE

What do I do about Pofig and other non working trees and shrubs in TANE and higher? How would I replace them with working ones? I mean the route is usable without the trees, but then there will be bare areas where trees and bushes should be.

Simply use the bulk asset replacement function. Add the one you want to replace on the left and add the new tree you want to use on the right. Takes 1 - 8 seconds depending on how many there are. So up the top when editing a route from the tool wrench, 3rd item is "Bulk Asset Update/Replace" tool.

Maybe. When I tried to replace some faulty (I think they were pofig) trees with newer trees on a route using Bulk replace, it refused saying they were not the same "kind". Kind of what? Trees? vegetation? I have postings going back a ways, but no one ever posted any answers or helps for it. It just came down to having to clone a replacement for the original KUID of the faulty tree...
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Kind, a fundamental property listed in the config.txt file of every Trainz asset. Examples of Kind include scenery, track, mesh, turntable, groundtexture. Assets must at least be of the same Kind if you want the bulk replacement to work.

If an asset is faulty, I don’t think it will even appear in TANE, which makes it impossible to bulk replace using the tool (or am I mistaken in that belief?).
    Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; December 3rd, 2020 at 06:25 PM.
    3DS Max 2009/2012. T:ANE SP4 (105946) & TRS19 SP2 (110491).
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB vram, 2x512GB SSD.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

That is correct. A faulty asset won't be installed, therefore, it can't be replaced.

In this case, we can thank IDV for this mess. They have zero upgrade path or even backward compatibility between Speed Tree versions. I'm sure this is great for those locked down programs where the developer makes things, but if anyone else wants to make trees for TANE and TRS2019, they can't just get the latest version of Speed Trees and expect the trees to work.

The program too is quite expensive to buy and even rent. I was curious one day and totally shocked, shouldn't have been actually, by the cost of the program.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

There seems to be no easy fix for this. Some of the affected routes are Reading and Northern, and an unfinished Philly area route by rrsignal they both have faulty trees and bushes by pofig and mcguirel in T:ANE. You can't replace the trees in surveyor because I believe you can't replace faulty items that don't display. But what about in the config list of kuid's? Does that work, to replace faulty kuid's with working ones in the config? I would have to identify each tree, bush, and find a similar one, like if it's an oak tree, search for a TANE compatible oak tree. I want the new trees to be in the same spots as the faulty ones, which means somehow replacing the kuid's in the config. And I have no idea where the missing trees are unless I view the route in TS12.

I can probably still recreate this in T:ANE and supply screenshots and KUIDs. I actually posted screenshots back when I tried it before. They were trees that showed as red in the Surveyor content list. So I tried to drag one over to Bulk replace and then drag a good tree over, but it said they weren't the same kind. I do recall checking the conifg.txt files, and maybe one was a tree and one scenery or something, I don't remember. I tried to change one to the same kind as the other but it still did not work.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

I don't think I dreamed this, but thinking back to an old post somewhere...
    Download / use a tree that works. Change the kuid number to the faulty object number. Install it. It should populate the route. Then use bulk replacement tool.
    Never tried this procedure, but it seems logical.

Quote Originally Posted by rwk View Post
    There seems to be no easy fix for this. Some of the affected routes are Reading and Northern, and an unfinished Philly area route by rrsignal they both have faulty trees and bushes by pofig and mcguirel in T:ANE. You can't replace the trees in surveyor because I believe you can't replace faulty items that don't display. But what about in the config list of kuid's? Does that work, to replace faulty kuid's with working ones in the config? I would have to identify each tree, bush, and find a similar one, like if it's an oak tree, search for a TANE compatible oak tree. I want the new trees to be in the same spots as the faulty ones, which means somehow replacing the kuid's in the config. And I have no idea where the missing trees are unless I view the route in TS12.

Australia, South Australia, Christie Downs

To do that you copy the folder for the faulty item to the desktop. Change the kuid number to the one you want (a place holder). Can be anything. Import the folder into Trainz. then do the bulk replacement.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Fire up TS12 and bulk replace the pofig trees with Clams billboard trees. Then in TANE or TRS19, bulk replace the billboards with a your tree of choice. Works every time and no arcane config crunching.
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by grazlash View Post
    Fire up TS12 and bulk replace the pofig trees with Clams billboard trees. Then in TANE or TRS19, bulk replace the billboards with a your tree of choice. Works every time and no arcane config crunching.
    Graeme

Don't you just love TS12, it just works and gets the job done.

Cheerio John

What a great idea, Grame and John. I'll have to remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post

Cheerio John

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I did just that myself. Any route I wanted to bring over to TANE, I did the tree replacement thing at the time to Clam1952 trees until RMM came out with 100% obsoleting trees that exist in both versions. This didn't occur to much later so my earlier routes were a bit boring with the same trees on them, but at least I got past that conundrum and moved on.

My methodology was to get the dependencies for the route in Content Manager, sort on authors Pofig and and McGuirel to get their trees. I then added these particular assets to pick-lists.

In the routes, I found a blank spot or added a blank baseboard, placed the trees I wanted to replace, and then replaced the trees one at a time using the bulk replace assets. I used trees that were close in shape, not necessarily the same species when I could find the exact type. For the biggest routes, the process took a very long time, but for the smaller ones, it was only an hour or so.

It was during this transition period that I discovered why a route kept crashing in a particular area. One of the Ultra Maple trees was corrupt in TS12 and when I clicked on it it disappeared and TS12 crashed.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post

Cheerio John

unless it decides it simply MUST do a database repair, in which case, you may have to wait a few hours before its usuable ......
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    unless it decides it simply MUST do a database repair, in which case, you may have to wait a few hours before its usuable ......

Use the second computer?

Cheerio John