Pofig and other trees in TANE

rwk

What do I do about Pofig and other non working trees and shrubs in TANE and higher? How would I replace them with working ones? I mean the route is usable without the trees, but then there will be bare areas where trees and bushes should be.

Simply use the bulk asset replacement function. Add the one you want to replace on the left and add the new tree you want to use on the right. Takes 1 - 8 seconds depending on how many there are. So up the top when editing a route from the tool wrench, 3rd item is "Bulk Asset Update/Replace" tool.

Maybe. When I tried to replace some faulty (I think they were pofig) trees with newer trees on a route using Bulk replace, it refused saying they were not the same "kind". Kind of what? Trees? vegetation? I have postings going back a ways, but no one ever posted any answers or helps for it. It just came down to having to clone a replacement for the original KUID of the faulty tree...

Kind, a fundamental property listed in the config.txt file of every Trainz asset. Examples of Kind include scenery, track, mesh, turntable, groundtexture. Assets must at least be of the same Kind if you want the bulk replacement to work.

If an asset is faulty, I don’t think it will even appear in TANE, which makes it impossible to bulk replace using the tool (or am I mistaken in that belief?).

Last edited:
That is correct. A faulty asset won't be installed, therefore, it can't be replaced.

In this case, we can thank IDV for this mess. They have zero upgrade path or even backward compatibility between Speed Tree versions. I'm sure this is great for those locked down programs where the developer makes things, but if anyone else wants to make trees for TANE and TRS2019, they can't just get the latest version of Speed Trees and expect the trees to work.

The program too is quite expensive to buy and even rent. I was curious one day and totally shocked, shouldn't have been actually, by the cost of the program.

There seems to be no easy fix for this. Some of the affected routes are Reading and Northern, and an unfinished Philly area route by rrsignal they both have faulty trees and bushes by pofig and mcguirel in T:ANE. You can't replace the trees in surveyor because I believe you can't replace faulty items that don't display. But what about in the config list of kuid's? Does that work, to replace faulty kuid's with working ones in the config? I would have to identify each tree, bush, and find a similar one, like if it's an oak tree, search for a TANE compatible oak tree. I want the new trees to be in the same spots as the faulty ones, which means somehow replacing the kuid's in the config. And I have no idea where the missing trees are unless I view the route in TS12.

I can probably still recreate this in T:ANE and supply screenshots and KUIDs. I actually posted screenshots back when I tried it before. They were trees that showed as red in the Surveyor content list. So I tried to drag one over to Bulk replace and then drag a good tree over, but it said they weren't the same kind. I do recall checking the conifg.txt files, and maybe one was a tree and one scenery or something, I don't remember. I tried to change one to the same kind as the other but it still did not work.

I don't think I dreamed this, but thinking back to an old post somewhere...
Download / use a tree that works. Change the kuid number to the faulty object number. Install it. It should populate the route. Then use bulk replacement tool.
Never tried this procedure, but it seems logical.

There seems to be no easy fix for this. Some of the affected routes are Reading and Northern, and an unfinished Philly area route by rrsignal they both have faulty trees and bushes by pofig and mcguirel in T:ANE. You can't replace the trees in surveyor because I believe you can't replace faulty items that don't display. But what about in the config list of kuid's? Does that work, to replace faulty kuid's with working ones in the config? I would have to identify each tree, bush, and find a similar one, like if it's an oak tree, search for a TANE compatible oak tree. I want the new trees to be in the same spots as the faulty ones, which means somehow replacing the kuid's in the config. And I have no idea where the missing trees are unless I view the route in TS12.

To do that you copy the folder for the faulty item to the desktop. Change the kuid number to the one you want (a place holder). Can be anything. Import the folder into Trainz. then do the bulk replacement.
Cheers,
Mike

Fire up TS12 and bulk replace the pofig trees with Clams billboard trees. Then in TANE or TRS19, bulk replace the billboards with a your tree of choice. Works every time and no arcane config crunching.
Graeme

Fire up TS12 and bulk replace the pofig trees with Clams billboard trees. Then in TANE or TRS19, bulk replace the billboards with a your tree of choice. Works every time and no arcane config crunching.
Graeme

Don't you just love TS12, it just works and gets the job done.

Cheerio John

I did just that myself. Any route I wanted to bring over to TANE, I did the tree replacement thing at the time to Clam1952 trees until RMM came out with 100% obsoleting trees that exist in both versions. This didn't occur to much later so my earlier routes were a bit boring with the same trees on them, but at least I got past that conundrum and moved on.

My methodology was to get the dependencies for the route in Content Manager, sort on authors Pofig and and McGuirel to get their trees. I then added these particular assets to pick-lists.

In the routes, I found a blank spot or added a blank baseboard, placed the trees I wanted to replace, and then replaced the trees one at a time using the bulk replace assets. I used trees that were close in shape, not necessarily the same species when I could find the exact type. For the biggest routes, the process took a very long time, but for the smaller ones, it was only an hour or so.

It was during this transition period that I discovered why a route kept crashing in a particular area. One of the Ultra Maple trees was corrupt in TS12 and when I clicked on it it disappeared and TS12 crashed.

The ultimate solution is not easy, nor quick. After weeks, nay, MONTHS of replacing Pofig and mcguirel trees in each individual route, and NEVER ending up with consistant replacements between routes (who remember which one of 1000 trees you replaced one of 401 trees with in that last route?) I have come to realize the best, but most time consuming method is to manually change the KUID of my desired tree to that of Pofig ...

Essentially, find a pofig tree, one at a time, and find a replacement for it (I really like the Forest series by BFF11, I think it is, but there are also a LOT of Eastern European assets that are nice), then open BOTH in Editor, copy the good one, and replace it's KUID with that of the Pofig tree to replace, then import the new "asset", either deleting the original pofig one first, or overwritting it and re-commit ...

I tried this once before, and managed to get thru about 200 before losing interest, but I made the mistake of using a generic object, rather than figure out the direct replacement tree ... THOUSANDS of Stop signs populated my forests, and then I still had to try to decipher the Pofig name and find an equivilent to replace it with. Ended up a huge waste of time and effort, and created more work... Very discouraging.

I would wonder, at this point, if someone where to take on the task, if they could somehow be shared, so each of us do not have to re-create and invest so much effort repeatedly .. Perhaps just release the Config.txt files without the 3D models and textures .. I also wonder about the Ethics of asking for donations to cover one's time and effort for such a helpful "service" ... Thoughts?

Edit: A second Effort I made was to MERGE all the Routes with a blank board between each, then do my Bulk replacements ( an attempt to change all the same trees to all the same trees) .. Also getting discouraging, because NOW I have to DELETE each and every baseboard that is NOT a part of a particular Route, until I get back to just ONE of the original routes .. Again, VERY time consuming ... Cloned and re-KUID'd trees seems to be the best solution, but I need to commit to spending a month or so of 10 hour days to it, I'm sure. ...Heck, just scrolling thru the asset list to find a tree takes about an hour each tree ... I have shortened THAT process by creating a single baseboard that has ONLY the best trees on it, that are also TANE compatible ..still needing to merge it into a route, then use the bulk replace, but much quicker finding what looks right than scrolling and placing, then not liking and having to delete and find the next, over and over... PickLists are okay for shortening the amount of objects to search thru, but still need to actually place and compare the looks of each.

Last edited:
Graeme

This is the method I used to bring my routes in from TS12 to TANE initially before there were any other alternatives. A bit later, RMM made some TS12 trees that obsolete automatically in TANE. This made the replacement a bit less painful, but the process still required replacing similar-looking trees a time-consuming process.

If IDV offered an upgrade path, or allowed for backward compatibility for that matter, this would have been a lot nicer.

Is TS12 still available? It appears to be needed to bring older routes into newer version, but I don't see it in the Trainz Store....

Back