Gmax question, Help save me from my stupid self please.

OK, normally in Gmax to move something about I select the object, , then right click then go over the X,Y, Z indicator and to to what I want it to move, either x y or z,, same as in rotation to select which axis to rotate.
Well, I did something stupid and I know not what I did or selected 9maybe unselected??)

That no longer works, I mouse over the object and it goes all different directions of xy or zy etc, , depending on the window I am in.
what do I do please to get the old way back??
Thank you in advance!

Not sure, but is the "reference coordinate system" selector (the drop-down list on the Main ToolBar with options like View, World, Screen, Parent...) on a setting that you don't normally use? If so try choosing World and see if the object's tripod axes align correctly with the grid's X,Y, Z axes.

Also check if you have one of the "restrict to.." buttons selected to a direction or plane that isn't appropriate to what you want.

Last edited:
Nope, no luck there, I jsut noticed too that the x y z when I select an object went from red blue green to just gray in all three lines.

..the x y z when I select an object went from red blue green to just gray in all three lines.

That might not mean anything is wrong. I just checked on my gmax and apparently my color scheme is such that the tab of the active toolbar is gray, while all the other tabs are green. Within the active Main Toolbar, the background of the "restrict-to" buttons (X, Y, Z, YZ etc) is also green, while the background of the Move, Rotate and Scale buttons is orange. I think it just depends on how you have customized the color scheme and should not affect their function.

LxKwYN9.jpg

Perhaps to aid understanding, you could show some similar screenshots of the interface while it's misbehaving. Otherwise we are simply imagining and guessing. The fall-back option, if it can't be solved, might be to uninstall then re-install gmax.

Last edited:
found it, your firsdt answer was what led me to find the issue, Thank you,
Some wehre, somehow, I had gone into preference settings and changed the size of the gizmo to 1 and I was not seeing it at all. Thank you!!!!!

That's great, but at the same time very curious. Mine is set to "40" which must be a default because I've never visited that part of the Preferences before. It makes sense that a size of "1" would be hard to see.

The size of the transform gizmo is not something I ever would have thought of because it's buried so deep in the menus and cannot be changed accidentally. I'm quite surprised you didn't mention fiddling with Preferences before.

I would be a terrible doctor, motor mechanic or IT service desk person! :hehe:

-

Back