QR Rolling Stock

Franglen

Hi All,
Most probably a silly question but did anyone upload a QR TLV, TGV, TDV, Steel Van or a HWO or a QFC Flat wagon for the TRZ2004 to 2009 versions?
We used the QFC's in Townsville NQ for Containers mainly. But when the Army exercises were on we used them to transport APC's, Tanks etc from the Lavarack Barracks in Townsville. We would back a string of these up to the car loading ramp in the South Yard and the Army guys would drive their gear onto the wagons.
Pretty to watch as they just went from wagon to wagon.
They chained everything down. Then we would put a couple of coaches and a van on the back and away they would go.
The link below gives you an idea what we did.

QFX / QFC wagons / News / News / Railpage

When they came back to unload they would give us shunters huge tins of peaches and pears etc from the rations they brought back.
Kind regards
Frank

Did you check CM? Although as you have such an old version I'm not sure how that works, you probably have to search the Download station online. No to the first item but yes to the second although these are VERY old Build 1.5 and five versions by Wiley4 (the very guy I tried to contact months ago - narda) <kuid:45203:100479> TGV QR Unit 1. Unfortunately nothing for any of the others.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of rolling stock for Queensland and it is all dated, and lots even the wrong gauge!? There are bizare references to MG meaning medium gauge which is an unknown term never used to my knowledge and actually refers to NG, which 3ft 6in is. I'm having major problems finding rail/road crossings that suit or even work properly, I tried Proxing types which would have been ok except the support for the boom arm is invisible! I've discovered I can use the NSWGR railway crossing by elstoko but I have to patch the road as the crossing is too narrow.

All in all, it's hard to find good assets for QLD, but still plugging along.

Last edited:
Thanks Ali. I'll have a look at it. The amount of QR & QLD content in the Trz 2004 - 2006 era was unreal. But from then on it becomes pretty sparse. Most of the old hands have since departed as did I for quite a few years. I think we became disillusioned with the way Auran was going. Starting the FCT finished it for me even though I did not have much content uploaded. Some of the old content creators even took legal action. I was advised to. I still have the email. Now I see NV3 Games are calling for content creators to upload so they can put more cash in their coffers at someone elses expense and hard work. I don't see any creators getting royalties for their work. Not on as far as I am concerned.
As soon as my FCT time is up I am out of here again because I mainly like the QR blue livery content which I shunted with years ago.
Also I do not do any financials online. If the put DVD's in the game shops again just maybe I might invest in a newer version. At least with a physical disk you had permanent backup.
Kind Regards
Frank

Yes, having to hook into the internet to get it to recognise it as a legitimate game is a pain, especially when you have back ups and a second pc. I rarely use an FCT, not working means I can't afford the luxury, and I'm happy usually with a slow download, I'll even leave the pc running all night to do it whilst asleep. Tane SP3 is pretty good, TRS19, just a damn nightmare which is getting worse. Good luck!

Quote: 'not working means I can't afford the luxury, and I'm happy usually with a slow download'
I know what you mean mate. We can only get ADSL+ here and since the upgrade to Wind-Woes 10 things are a bit slow at times.
I'm in the 'Old Farts', 'Geriatrics' club myself. They call it the Golden Years but some bugger must have stole my nuggets. I haven't seen any.
God Bless and stick with it.
Kind regards
Frank

BTW: the TGV Unit 1 by Wiley 4 is a passenger car on the tgv train Ali. I'm looking for QR Steel Guards Vans.
I also for the life of me can not understand why they did not put a Guards Van for the Sunlander in the Built in objects. I know the train had one because I shunted it plenty of times to take the 2nd baggage car off on the Townsville to Cairns part and put the darned thing back on when she was going back South.

Thanks for the effort though.

Ah well, it is what it is. At 65 I should be retired especially with crushed vertebrae but you know who raised it to 66 and they are pushing hard to find me a job! Good luck to us all. Meanwhile maybe a brief shot of my version of Townsville, very incomplete from Mutarnee in the north, Woodstock SW and Giru and cane fields SE. Mind you this view has changed as I saw more detail of the trackwork, and have since added more junctions.

Townsville-W.I.P.-Looking-east-towards-Harbour.jpg

Hi guys,
I feel your pain.
Being disillusioned with the lack of QR "Blue Era" stuff and the fact that most of the existing stuff is either historically inaccurate and/or way out of date, I ended up modding a lot. Re did paintwork, added grills, lights, auto numbering, fans, etc, animated air hoses, sounds, engine configs, windows, passengers, drivers, bogies......the list is endless. Also made a few bits with my limited blender skills (Photoshop, yes, blender.... not good..lol). Unfortunately, due to copyright, policy etc, I cannot and will not upload any of it to CM, as I do not own the rights to all meshes etc. and I respect the work of original creators. I gave up trying to keep everything in 3ft 6" as it just ended up not being practical.

As for the TGV, TDV, steel guards vans, I have never found anything like them anywhere, I also have never been able to locate anything even similar that I could mod and be happy with. Especially when it comes to the "lookout" mirrors on the roof. I did however, manage to make up a reasonable facsimile of the MMV Van (Lander guards/mail van).

I have so many fond memories from the Blue era, as that is what I grew up with. My old man was in QR for close on 40 years, same for my grandfather. I remember sitting on the verandah of the SM's residence next to Redbank Station watching the crews put up the overheads for the electric service in 79/80. Sitting in the Freight Offices watching the freight unloading and shunting at Roma Street Freight terminal when the old boy was the Freight Superintendent there. The list goes on.

I know this doesn't really help you guys with finding content. but you touched on a personal cord.....

Cheers
Richard

Looking good mate. In Trz04 I used the Inbuilt Large Brick Station as it was the closest I could find to resemble Townsville even though it is not a curved platform. In real life, on the road side of the incoming Signal was a small Signal Cabin we called B Cabin. It only had 6? levers from memory. Shunter in Charge's did a couple of nights in it once every 19 weeks. It controlled points coming from the Bridge to the Diesel Sheds and also from the Mainline to the Loop which you already have. The signals were the semaphore(?) type which you will see in the pic below. As you can see behind the DH the 2nd Baggage car has been cut out of the Sunlander and been shunted into 1 Dock. Sunlander on Mainline, beside the mainline is the Loop, then 1 Goods where we stored a few Coaches and Vans, 2 Goods with the containers. Beside that is the Ramp with the Inlander on it. And beside that is what we called the Electric Light Shops where we used to put the Power car from the Inlander for service each time the train came in.
Which Bridge have you used Ali? I really like it.
I sympathise with the crushed vertibrae mate. I also had a crush injury to the Cervical Spine. 2 major surgeries and severe nerve damage and a reduction in height didn't help.
Chronic pain is no joke mate. We may look ok on the out side but they don't know what is happening inside.
I'll see what else i can find. Would you prefer me to PM you or keep this thread going?
Regards
Frank

51801919_2006616506059304_9053835676088270848_o.jpg

Right on so many counts! I'm in Tane at the moment so can't check the bridge but will do so later. I'd keep the thread going, it may interest others and maybe someone will get inspired to make some QR rolling stock, we can dream. Nothing comes close to that station but I'll get a screen shot of what I mashed up for it in the next day or so.

I don't know too much about Queensland's Railroads, but I really like the picture you presented here.........Worth a 1000 Words at least.......

Hi BladeRunner,
Best job I ever had mate. I always wanted a train set as a kid. Little did I know I would end up with the real deal ;-D.
Yeah Richard, as I said, The content creators in the 04 - 06 era were putting out a fair bit of QR and QLD gear. But that seems to have gone by the wayside.
NV3 don't want to put AU content in their socalled original versions. Why would I want to buy something that still has 04 - 06 content as the built in assets when I have already got 04 - 06 - 09?
I was thinking about redoing the Townsville Shuntyards more tru to scale but what is the point unless for my own benifit?
BTW: Did you upoad the Inlander Van at all? It was the same as the Sunlander Van with a dog box and a special compartment for sliding coffins in. Saw a fair few of them coming and going.
All the best mate.
Frank

Hi blueoddessey, QUOTE: "Worth a 1000 Words at least......."
I don't know about 1000 but here's a quickie for you. I had been a Classified Shunter in Charge for a while and had a new shunter with me one day. We had to take the Inlander off the mainline and take it over and put it on the Ramp after cutting the Power Car out and putting it in the Light Shops. I was under the train between the Power Car and the 1st Coach un hooking power gear etc when the damned train started to pull out with me under it. I managed to grab hold of the main draw gear and started booting the crap out of the airbags to separarte them so the Westinghouse brakes would come on and the driver of the DH which was around a bend, would know something was up with the sudden air release, which he did and hit the anchors thank the Almighty. The idiot shunter fresh out of a shunter school waved the bloody train out. I had put my hands up in the hold fast position before I went under and the clown thought I had waved him out. Guys came running out of the light shops waving frantically as well. They said I should take the rest of the shift off. I got my revenge giving the idiot a hard time showing him how hard shunting could be. I never got to work with that kid again. I don't know if he threw in the towel or not. But I'm glad I never died that day.
Not quite 1000 words, but I hope it gives you some insight into how dangerous a job shunters have ;-)
God Bless
Frank

Hi Ali,
I don't know if you have seen this Youtube clip but it shows the old Bridge on the B cabin end of the North Yard with an engine heading to the Diesel Sheds.
Shunting QR style.mpg - YouTube
Also a couple of shunters working on the Runner in the Nth Yard most probably cutting out Cement hoppers to run over to the South Yard for the Stuart Shunt.
The DH in the first part of the clip is the North Yard Shops Shunt with the Sheldon Brake down crane behind it.
You did NOT loose shunt that thing. Man she was a heavy mother.
Youtube have quite a few clips on QR.
I type 'qr trains townsville' in the search box and there is a fair bit of variety there.
I have a program called 'Viddly Youtube Downloader' (used to be Free Youtube Downloader). I copy and paste the URL into and download the videos as MP4's to watch later.
Regards
Frank

Hi blueoddessey, QUOTE: "Worth a 1000 Words at least......."
I don't know about 1000 but here's a quickie for you. I had been a Classified Shunter in Charge for a while and had a new shunter with me one day. We had to take the Inlander off the mainline and take it over and put it on the Ramp after cutting the Power Car out and putting it in the Light Shops. I was under the train between the Power Car and the 1st Coach un hooking power gear etc when the damned train started to pull out with me under it. I managed to grab hold of the main draw gear and started booting the crap out of the airbags to separate them so the Westinghouse brakes would come on and the driver of the DH which was around a bend, would know something was up with the sudden air release, which he did and hit the anchors thank the Almighty. The idiot shunter fresh out of a shunter school waved the bloody train out. I had put my hands up in the hold fast position before I went under and the clown thought I had waved him out. Guys came running out of the light shops waving frantically as well. They said I should take the rest of the shift off. I got my revenge giving the idiot a hard time showing him how hard shunting could be. I never got to work with that kid again. I don't know if he threw in the towel or not. But I'm glad I never died that day.
Not quite 1000 words, but I hope it gives you some insight into how dangerous a job shunters have ;-)
God Bless
Frank

Thanks Frank,

That is one heck of close call to what could have been a tragic Death.......I have many a Railroad Worker Friends and have the Highest Respect for you. When you goto work each day, you never know how it will start, or how it will end......!

I worked in some tenuous positions over the years, one of the safety items we were trained in, no such thing as a Routine Day, always have your best mindset, and plans in place.

From the sounds of your near death Train incident, your Training kicked in. Thank the Train God it worked and your still here with us......

I can't imagine what it was, as you were being dragged along the Tracks.........

God Bless you and the Family..........:wave:

Quote: 'your Training kicked in.'
Not training mate........... It was survival instinct. Grab the first thing you see.
Kind regards
Frank

Hi Frank. Gees mate that was a close call, glad the survival instinct acted quickly! First here is a screen shot of what I concocted to make the station.

Townsville-Station-Circa-1940s-WIP..jpg

Obviously still working on it, and appears I've gone overboard with the mangroves, although there seems to be more there today, than back in the 1940s? As for the bridge it's by pware, <kuid2:45176:100396:1> Bridge Brick Steel 1T NG42 3ft 6in gauge. Back to rolling stock, more disappointed there isn't a decent DD17 Class. There is one, plus 2 for spare parts at the Zig-Zag not far from me, but the only one on the DLS is very old and shiny bright blue! I believe the colour is close to sky blue. My other problem is a lack of decent roads for Australia, noting that from about the late 1970s and backwards, we had yellow no overtaking lines, not white. There are a set of YARNish Aus Highway which I use but they have white solid lines, and no intersections, unless you use the American (YARNish) ones, which have the stop lines on the wrong side. Then there are the railway road crossings. Proxing are old build 2.9 but would work and have various angles and grades. However the support for the boom arms in TRS19 are invisible! There are some NSWGR railway Crossings which will take 3ft 6in gauge track but only come in level and at 90 degree crossings. The problem with them is they are too narrow for the YARNish Aus Highway roads, but if the terrain is flat I can slip and unconnected piece of road across the crossing to make it look right!

Given N3V has always (?) had the Warwick to Wallangarra route in the game, you'd think they'd make the occasional item of rolling stock, but then limited people and time, always is a problem.

And Bohle River crossing, far from complete yet>

Bohle-River%2C-Townsville-Circa-1940.jpg

Frankie did not want to die that day Ali. Especially after what happened to a mate when a Phosphate train ex Duchess went over him. Tripple up front, 32 wagons, double in the middle with another 32 and a TGV van. He was trying to hop skip and jump from the 3rd engine to the 1st and slipped in between. The driver and fireman didn't know they had got him because he wasn't supposed to be there. The cops were walking backwards and forwards from Forkline to the phosphate dump at the jetty for a week with little plastic bags picking up meat. Not pretty. He was a Kiwi and owned a SS Monaro. His family came over for the funeral but made sure the Monaro went back to Kiwiland with them. Big bucks over there appently.
I gather you don't have a copy of TRZ04 or 06 Ali? I'll check out the roads I used in the Shuntyards and also in Aus all inbuilt. Back then Auran had some pretty standard roads.
Can 04 - 06 stuff go into your TANE? If I can find suitable Kuids I can try to send them to you. Gee, I remember the old Bruce Highway from Brisbane to Townsville in th 70's. There weren't many lines on it especially from Rocky on. The St Lawrence road was dirt.
As for the mangroves, I remember seeing a photo somewhere of the banks of Ross Ck around the station area. I'll see if I can dig it up. I can remember as a kid in the 1950's going with my dad and putting crab dillies in off the bridge that takes you to the Sth Yard on this end of the station.Used to get some nice muddies there. From memory there were always plenty of mangroves there. Especially on the Southern side and there were like swamp flats there.
Do you have this mate? 1910 Architectural plans for the old Townsville Stn?
Proposed_Townsville_Railway_Station%2C_1910.jpg

As per my name, I only have Tane and TRS19. Lots of old stuff is still being used and whether it works in TRS19 or Tane even is rather hit and miss. I am building it in TRS19. By the way older roads are not likely to work, I can't use the wide range of QLD rail crossings as the roads attach to them underground! I think I'm stuck with using the NSWGR Railway crossings, except for any angled crossing as there are no versions for that. I probably should start a separate thread for the route but it'll be two years before it's complete! I don't suppose you know where I can get my hands on yard plans for the period? I got NSW ones for the Lithgow to Bathurst route for all stations and quarries.

Getting the yard plans is hard. I have been trying for years. They say the QR Historical Society may have some. You'll pay through the nose though. I've been thinking of trying to contact 'Greg Hallam' to see if he could help. He is the chief historian of the QR system. The only other way is to Google for Toppos of the place. Like in the site I sent you. I thought there would be toppos of Townsville from the 40's because of WW2. Everywhere else keeps records but Qld doesn't think it's necessary.
Are you in the Library up there? I have used ours to find War Records and even trace when my wife gave the Queen Mother a bunch of flowers as a child in Ipswich many years ago. You can also get a couple of free searches per year by a librarian from the John Oxley Library in Brisbane. You do an online request and it's free. They are relentless in their searches mate.
I just found a gem Ali. Story about Shunting the BP installation. Has a couple of pics of Original Townsville Station as well.
Newsletter_October_2018.pdf (townsvillemuseum.com.au)

Last edited:
Back