Updating Route for TRS2019. Suggestions? Tips or Tricks?

maxwerks

I've started updating my Clovis to Lubbock route to look and function better in TRS 2019. I'm replacing old track with procedural track and non-PBR textures with PBR textures, removing/replacing faulty assets, and trying to minimize non-DLS assets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for updating an existing route to TRS 2019? Any gotchas? Tips or tricks? Ways to enhance performance while still maintaining visual interest?

This is my first try at this, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Max (maxwerks)

Max --

Textures.

PBR textures should not be rotated. And the scale needs to be appropriate -- you can use a larger scale away from the tracks but you will need to use the minimum setting, or close to minimum setting, close to and under tracks -- otherwise the "bumps" will protrude through ballast and sleepers.

My approach when upgrading has been to strip out all the old textures and start from scratch with the PBR textures.

And you should also add TurfFX. It certainly adds to the overall effect. And replace any foliage with SpeedTrees.

Phil

waxworks - Hoping this project goes well for you. Love the route! It's representation of the real thing is amazing, even down to the details.

Procedural track does not look good, IMHO, in yards when viewing at a distance. The ballast crawls away because of the LOD.

If you plan on releasing it, there has never been a more challenging version to do so! Make sure you get lots to test it as built-in assets for you may be totally unobtainable for others... I had to find out the hard way with Coal Country.
I still include grass splines where they look good, don't feel you need to use Turfx everywhere, PBR textures don't like rotation or being layered ontop of others, if you do want to use them its probably better to restart texturing over again rather than using the bulk replace tool. They also look terrible on slopes, so I steered toward the use of cliff splines
:)

I have updated several of my routes from T:ANE to TRS19. Here is a checklist I use for that process which I hope you will find useful:

1. Replace the BI2 General industry tracks with the newer BI3 versions.

2. Replace the existing region with my new "<kuid2:439337:104491:3> 1980s Plus USA" or the "<kuid2:439337:101127:4> 1950s Glory Years USA" as appropriate if a U.S. route.

3. Replace all the old 2D ground textures with new 3D PBR Parallax ground textures.

4. Add TurfFX 3D grass and weed effect.

5. Replace the existing track withTRS19 procedural track.

6. Correct any track issues resulting from the replacement.

7. Replace older content that didn't look good with newer better looking content.

8. Replace old billboard trees with SpeedTrees.

9. Replace all of the old bridges with newer PBR textured bridges.

10. Replace the old road system with new road, junctions and 90 degree corners that are PBR friendly.

11. Reset fog and colors to TRS19 defaults.

12. Add CMTM4 portals at all locations where the track exits the route.

13. Replace old passenger stations with better newer ones.

Bob

Hi Bob --

Just a quick response. I'd suggest doing the track replacement before the PBR texturing. Otherwise there is a good chance that the PBR textures will protrude through the track.

And do the TurfFX last. That way it's easy to select and place the grass effects.

Phil

Hi Bob --

Just a quick response. I'd suggest doing the track replacement before the PBR texturing. Otherwise there is a good chance that the PBR textures will protrude through the track.

And do the TurfFX last. That way it's easy to select and place the grass effects.

Phil

Phil:

Thanks for the tip. That list was in no particular order but an edited one I thought he could use. BTW it is possible to apply TurfFx to exclude splines and certain textures. See these links:

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:TurfFX_Effect_Layer

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhrJ5z3uQc

Bob

To the original poster:

Max --

I have the feeling that Bob and I are amongst the few who have actually uploaded routes to the Download Station that go the TRS19 "Fully Monty" -- track, textures, TurfFX and SeedTrees. In fact, we may be the only ones.

As a suggestion, perhaps consider downloading a couple of our more recent routes and then take them apart to see what we thought works best.

Phil

I have the feeling that Bob and I are amongst the few who have actually uploaded routes to the Download Station that go the TRS19 "Fully Monty" -- track, textures, TurfFX and SeedTrees. In fact, we may be the only ones.

You may very well be correct. I did "have a go" at using PBR textures, TurfFX, procedural track, speed trees, better looking (more recent) scenery, on my current project - updating an older (very old) route of mine to full TRS19 standards. All except the PBR textures and TurfFX worked very well. Those latter two I ended up putting into the "too hard basket" as they will need me to go through a learning curve first, which I really did not have the time or inclination for in the project.

I will eventually get to climbing that curve but it will be on a brand new project starting from scratch.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated.

I'm starting to think revamping such a large route may not be the best use of my time. Even if I ignored aesthetics, just replacing everything that no longer functions in TRS 2019 will be a long row to hoe.

I'm starting to think revamping such a large route may not be the best use of my time. Even if I ignored aesthetics, just replacing everything that no longer functions in TRS 2019 will be a long row to hoe.

You make excellent Routes, so just take it in Stride.............Always appreciate your hard work and dedication to detail.........:cool:

The big killer for me is the pbr ground textures, I mix textures and rotate a hell of a lot to avoid repetition, replacing everything on a 50 mile route would take years. I was considering updating my recent update of the timber ridge for 2019, replacing trees and missing industries would not be too much of a job, but as soon as one gets stuck into turf and textures it just goes in the too hard basket, it's probably easier to start from scratch.

Maxwerks, you did such an outstanding job on Clovis to Lubbock, it is hard to see how much improvement there could be. I think your route will stand the test of time as it is, very well done!

Outstanding job on Clovis to Lubbock (yes indeed)

Maxwerks, you did such an outstanding job on Clovis to Lubbock, it is hard to see how much improvement there could be. I think your route will stand the test of time as it is, very well done!

Dittos Forester1,

I love this Route, and I intend to keep it too.........:p

In fact I have 3 of his Routes and enjoy them all, and you just reminded me to go back and check on some others I forgot to download.....:sleep:

The faster I think I can move, in reality, the slower I am......Getting Old.....:hehe:

+1

Good luck with the update I expect it will be great!

Back