Removing acres of grass

Anyone tell me how i can remove all this long grass, please.

It's a cloned route, but the grass is not selectable in Surveyor.

All visible layers have been unlocked.

2020-11-28-133042.jpg

2020-11-28-133220.jpg

Perhaps copy a clear area with no assets in it and paste it over the grass. Make sure you de-select track (splines), terrain and textures beforehand. Peter

Edit. I'm assuming the grass is a single assets, but you could perhaps do likewise if the grass is splines.

Last edited:
I'll be honest this is the first time I've looked at this in TRS19 and the first thing I find is broken track..........
It's TurfFx, that can be got rid of by:

Topology > Advanced, click on Ground > select the grasses in turn use the height down tool to delete the grass. It's Grass 2 in the first screen shot.

That is definitely overkill with Turfx! Only good thing is that the route can be cloned in TRS19.

I don't know where people get the idea that inside mainline railway boundary fences was nothing but a mass of grass and weeds during the Uk Steam era.

Thank you Malc, you are a star buddy. I don't really understand all this Turfx stuff.

Never even thought, it wasn't a spline or splines. Hence the bewilderment, in not being able to select and delete.

Appreciate the help thank you.

wilts747, many thanks for replying and making a suggestion. I think Malc has it covered in this instance.

But thank you anyway buddy.

Mike.

I don't know where people get the idea that inside mainline railway boundary fences was nothing but a mass of grass and weeds during the Uk Steam era.

Never was right through to the early 1980's. My period on BR 1960's to 1990's

The other thing that annoys me, is fences on the top of embankments and at the bottom of cuttings. With telegraph poles outside the railway boundary.

It's the same across the pond, by the way. We don't have embankments smothered in grass, bushes, and small trees on the mainlines. Badly maintained branch lines and sidings perhaps, but the mainlines are kept pretty clean and well ballasted.

Turf-FX grass has its merits, but it's still very uncontrollable due to how it works. This is a vertex-based procedural asset, meaning it's placed on the grid-points rather than across them like paint. The fact that it's placed on the grid-points means we get those spiky things that get in the way of other things like track and roads. I have found that applying Turf-FX to a preexisting route to be an outright painful process. Applying it to a new route is easier due to the open space.

KotangaGirl makes a very valid point. Until the 60's/70's each section of track (2-3 miles) here in the UK would have a track crew of 1-3, to maintain the track and the surrounding ground. Their job was to check for broken rails, loose fish plates etc. grease signal coupling rods and so forth, and to look after the banks and keep the track clean. Growth around the track was allowed to grow but kept trimmed to prevent fires from the sparks and cinders from the steam trains while preventing erosion, and in many places their derelict line-side huts can still be seen to this day. What with efficiency drives, 'Beeching' and other so called improvement, continuous rail, automation and so forth such workers today have been long replaced by machinery and mobile maintenance teams to the extent much goes wrong before its maintained. Line-side growth is hacked back by machine, and the loss of low level vegetation has led to erosion which to often is frequently missed or ignored until banks give way, tracks are blocked, delays and cancellations unfortunately all in the name of progress. Peter

Unfortunately Peter that's what you get when railways are run by business school graduates instead of railwaymen (sigh).

On a pre-TurfFx version of the same route I wore out a mouse (and nearly my wrist too) getting rid of all the trees, shrubs and weeds that should not have been anywhere near the railway.

Never was right through to the early 1980's. My period on BR 1960's to 1990's

The other thing that annoys me, is fences on the top of embankments and at the bottom of cuttings. With telegraph poles outside the railway boundary.

Yes that annoys me too so you're not alone in that.

Back