session editing

turt21

I have maybe 3 routes saved called Kickstarter country and a few sessions saved in each. Is there a way to edit the sessions? If I add more to the routes then the edits dont show up in the later sessions within that route. Newbie question

Why would you have 3 copies of the same route? That will cause confusion and each will have a different kuid number. Sessions will reference those numbers and not be interchangable unless you edit the config file, which you probably don't want to know about. Sessions are always editable, by selecting the session and clicking on "Edit". Any other questions, fire away. :D

Edit session only applies to the route linked to it, not the other routes which were save as routes with a different number.
One route as a working route and a second maybe as a testing route.
Always use the working route and if it works as you want just save it. If not sure save as testing route. This way your working route remains unchanged. Sessions are only attached to the route that it was with when you did the save. If you select to save it remains with the working route. If you selected save as it goes to the testing route.

I create sessions for routes developed and under development by other creators more skilled than me. What I do to ensure the integrity of the route is, lock all route layers and work in session and additional session layers. The working session is always using the title I want for the final one. If I want to create a test session or a part session like only the last 15 minutes of the overall session I create a new session and then butcher that version leaving the original unaltered until I have edited in or out the things in the saved copy.to be sure I don't lose track I use the same prefix for all sessions of one and then add a description of what it is for e.g. Shunting session then Shunt Interlock tower for a copy adding towers and editing the paths before implementing them in the original session.
This way I am always assured of the integrity of the route.

Is there a way to edit the sessions?

That is a very broad topic. "Editing a session" can mean

• working with Session Layers
  • adding Driver Commands
  • adding Session Rules (another very broad topic)
  • configuring Commodity Loads for consists
  • configuring Industry Inputs and Outputs
among others.

A starting point is the Trainz Wiki which has an entire section devoted to Sessions. See http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo

If I add more to the routes then the edits dont show up in the later sessions within that route.

That sounds like a classic case of "Creator Confusion".

Possible cause 1: With "maybe 3 routes saved called Kickstarter country and a few sessions saved in each" how do you know which one you are editing? I would give each of the routes a different distinctive name. For the same reason, I avoid using the name "Default" for any sessions I create.

Possible cause 2: When you edit a Session (i.e. any of the bullet points above) make sure that you save the Session and next time make sure that you load the Session. If you edit a Session and then later only load the Route then those edits (which will be saved in the Session) will not appear.

It is a big learning curve but once you reach the summit it is all worth the effort. Sorry, I forgot to mention that there really is no summit that you can reach because in Trainz there is always something new to learn - even for us "old timers" who have been at it since Stephenson first ran his "Rocket" steam loco. So Trainz is more like a never ending adventure.

Last edited:
DennR refers to locking the Route layer when creating sessions, EXTREMELY wise. HOWEVER be very aware (doesn't apply to DLC cause you can't unlock them), that it you exit and come back later to do some more editing of the session, the route layer will be UNLOCKED! This is a serious flaw in the game (from day 1?) which for some strange reason N3V will not address. Are you listening N3V? You really REALLY need to make the default Locked, not unlocked. Massive headache right there...

You really REALLY need to make the default Locked, not unlocked. Massive headache right there...

I really cannot agree there. I agree that there has been an issue with the locked route-layer becoming unlocked on reloading a route. I haven't checked lately to confirm that it is still the case with the route-layer but it is not the case with other layers in the Route Group as any of those layers will still be locked when the route is reloaded.

I would find it very annoying if the layers in the Route Group are locked by default when a session is loaded and have to be manually unlocked to edit them. When I load in a Session I edit both route and session layers. The best solution has more to do with individual work discipline (something few of us are very good at - myself included) than forcing the same solution on everyone.

My thoughts.

Back