"Unknown Assets"

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
So I've had this longstanding issue of downloading things off of JointedRails, TrainzForge and the DLS and not having the required dependencies. I download them and whats left is an "unknown asset" or 2 that I can't download, so I end up with tons of incomplete assets. I'm curious as to how to fix this and would like to know so I can download these assets and get these locomotives and freight cars to be usable in trains. Thanks :)

There is a thread in this forum that could help (but it may take a lot of searching and you could still come up empty) at https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?111942-Missing-Kuids-Post-them-here.

There is also a third-party web site (KUID Index - or something similar) that provides a list of missing kuids, but this is a payware service.

My policy, and that of many others here, is that if I download an asset that has missing dependencies ("unknown kuids") and the asset creator has not bothered to provide a web address to locate them, then I simply delete the asset. There are simply not enough hours in the day to go on an often fruitless "kuid hunt" and I have better things to do with my time.

I also have a policy that every asset I upload to the DLS contains only dependencies that are either built in to Trainz or are already on the DLS.

I agree with Pware. There are unfortunately a TON of assets out there with missing dependencies, faulty dependencies and freeware routes that contain assets only found in payware. I used to spend the vast majority of my time with Trainz collecting assets like a pack rat, then trying to find and fix assets. I had a terabyte of assets. I recently backed that all up, uninstalled my TRS2019, and then reinstalled. I now have only the basics, and I am adapting Pwares policy. I would rather run Trainz than constantly search for and fix them.

I also have a policy that every asset I upload to the DLS contains only dependencies that are either built in to Trainz or are already on the DLS.

... and the benefit of that is that anyone who downloads one of your assets will not have to waste their time and energies looking for the missing assets.

Before I upload an asset to the DLS I use CM to list all its dependencies. If I find that any payware or "third party" asset has somehow sneaked in, I will replace it with another similar DLS or built in asset.

I very rarely download from third party sites. My experience with downloads from the DLS has been that the vast majority of assets reported as "unknown" are in fact, nothing of the sort. They are almost always assets that have been updated for use in a DLC and are falsely reported as "unknown asset". I get this message even in cases where I already have a previous version of the asset on my system. Clearly, Content Manager doesn't understand the Kuid system and to check if there are previous versions of the asset. It is necessary to exit Content Manager and then re-open it and check the asset (omitting the version) and nine times out of ten I find that previous versions do exist on the Download Station and in many cases that I already have downloaded a previous version on my system.

This makes for unnecessary wasted time trying to locate these assets. It's about time that Content Manager was updated to ensure that merely because the asset version was increased for a DLC item that it does not report the asset as unknown.

Mike

I very rarely download from third party sites. My experience with downloads from the DLS has been that the vast majority of assets reported as "unknown" are in fact, nothing of the sort. They are almost always assets that have been updated for use in a DLC and are falsely reported as "unknown asset". I get this message even in cases where I already have a previous version of the asset on my system. Clearly, Content Manager doesn't understand the Kuid system and to check if there are previous versions of the asset. It is necessary to exit Content Manager and then re-open it and check the asset (omitting the version) and nine times out of ten I find that previous versions do exist on the Download Station and in many cases that I already have downloaded a previous version on my system.

This makes for unnecessary wasted time trying to locate these assets. It's about time that Content Manager was updated to ensure that merely because the asset version was increased for a DLC item that it does not report the asset as unknown.

Mike

Mike,

This has been an ongoing issue which has been reported before as a bug. I recommend doing the same and see what happens.

My workaround for this issue is to use the web-based DLS. The older assets are still there, but superseded locally with the updated version. I download the old one from the DLS, install it. I get the obsolete asset then I do a bit of modifying.

I open the asset for editing.
Go to explorer and copy the asset folder to my desktop.
Edit the config.txt file to reflect the updated Kuid version on the asset copied to my desktop.
Import the folder back in.

I then revert the open-for-edit asset to original in Content Manager.

Having been around for many years, I know how to create my own versions of a missing asset. That isn't really the point though. It wastes a considerable amount of time and it is by no means obvious to a newcomer to Trainz.

I am aware that this has been reported as a bug before and also that it is of long standing. This, unfortunately, suggests that n3v consider it extremely low priority, despite the persistence of enquiries from users wanting to know the location of missing assets, only to be told that they are payware/part of a DLC.

If Content Manager simply told us that the asset in question was part of DLC, that would be a major improvement. Even better if it told us which DLC(s) the asset was used in.

Mike

If Content Manager simply told us that the asset in question was part of DLC, that would be a major improvement. Even better if it told us which DLC(s) the asset was used in.

Mike
It does already. If it is part of DLC it will be marked as payware and to find out what it is used in "view dependants". Quite a number of DLS assets which automagically became marked as payware have been upversioned and replaced on the DLS. If you find one that hasn't please bug report it.
Graeme

In order to use "View Dependants" you need to be able to right-click on it. How can you do this if the asset version you have missing is not listed?

If the asset is listed as 'Unknown' then right clicking it will not reveal previous versions and the only dependency listed is the one you have just downloaded. If, on re-starting Content Manager and searching for the missing Asset, a previous version of the asset will frequently be listed. Right clicking on this will will show other versions of the asset but the missing higher version will not be listed and hence it is still impossible to find out where it is used.

Clearly, Content Manager knows that the asset exists. Therefore the original 'Unknown Asset' report is incorrect. Furthermore there is no clear way of finding out which, if any DLC uses it. If there are more than one or two such missing assets, it can take a very long time indeed to discover which DLC or DLCs use them.
It should not be necessary to have to go to the Trainz Forum, to find out if anyone else knows where the missing asset is used.

Note: It goes without saying that the above assumes the missing asset is part of a DLC package. If it is not, a Google search will usually help in tracking it down.

Mike

Content Manager only knows it exists because it was in a kuid table to be searched for. It only knows it can't find it on the DLS or in its data files. You did not download it or it would not be missing.

If for example I have on my system an asset "abc:def" or if this asset exists on the DLS, and I then download an item which requires eg "2:abc:def:4" which I do not have and is not on the DLS, it should not report this as a missing asset. It should, at worst, report it as a missing version of the asset. Furthermore, it could show me which asset version(s) I already have, or which are available on the DLS.
There is presumably a database of those assets which are part of a DLC. Why can the Content Manager not access this and report the package that uses it.

Mike

I agree! Be cautious.-

I for one will give up looking at SALES offers from NV3 or Trainz!

I have been disappointed in the past with several of my Trainz Sales purchases, assets that don't quite work, routes that are missing assets, need tidying up etc: But, foolishly, I again purchased two items in this Black Friday Sale!

I ordered the RVSX Vegetation Control Train and the Amtrak P42 DC Phase III locomotive. They sit on the Asset Download Screen, download but don't install, so I am unable to use or install either due to unknown/missing assets? I cannot locate the missing items!

I am a Trainz addict of many years, but I have no programming skills and a very limited budget. I am running Tane SP4 build 105766.

I would agree that not a lot of money is involved but I do feel that buying from NV3 is like buying from Del'Boy in the UK TV series 'Fools and Horses'...

Bit fed up Old Bill

Back