Trainz 2019 packages - Regional vs Platinum

alexl102

Learning... slowly!
Hi,
I'm considering finally investing in Trainz2019 as i'm hoping to upgrade my laptop in the next few months. Black Friday sales seem like a good opporutnity!

I'm slightly confused about the options though. I can afford to go for the Platinum bundle at it's current sale price, but I'm really only interested in UK content so was considering just gettting the UK regional edition. Other than 'international' content in terms of routes and rolling stock, what else is included in the platinum bundle?

And just to be absolutely sure - this $34.99 is a one-off payment, not monthly, right? I don't want a subscription model.

Hi,
I'm considering finally investing in Trainz2019 as i'm hoping to upgrade my laptop in the next few months. Black Friday sales seem like a good opporutnity!

I'm slightly confused about the options though. I can afford to go for the Platinum bundle at it's current sale price, but I'm really only interested in UK content so was considering just gettting the UK regional edition. Other than 'international' content in terms of routes and rolling stock, what else is included in the platinum bundle?

And just to be absolutely sure - this $34.99 is a one-off payment, not monthly, right? I don't want a subscription model.
With this version you will receive all the add-ons and you will not have to look for additional content in the future.
In addition, the installation of all additional product occurs at your request, whatever you want and download at a good speed at any time.

The Platinum Bundle is for TANE, It is just TANE SP4 with some DLC included in the bundle. TRS19 Platinum is the newest version of TRS19 that isn't a subscription based product.

TRS19 UK will either be at SP1 when you download it or will update once installed. SP2 is in development and will likely drop just before they go on the super long and extended Christmas break that Aussies enjoy.

I have both the TRS19 North American Edition which I love and TRS19 Platinum which does have some newer features but to me is still a bit buggy. I don't know if those bugs will be fixed in any update.

William

The Platinum Bundle is for TANE, It is just TANE SP4 with some DLC included in the bundle. TRS19 Platinum is the newest version of TRS19 that isn't a subscription based product.

TRS19 UK will either be at SP1 when you download it or will update once installed. SP2 is in development and will likely drop just before they go on the super long and extended Christmas break that Aussies enjoy.

I have both the TRS19 North American Edition which I love and TRS19 Platinum which does have some newer features but to me is still a bit buggy. I don't know if those bugs will be fixed in any update.

William

This page seems to suggest that you get more with the Platinum edition of 2019 than the normal: https://store.trainzportal.com/pages/trainz-railroad-simulator-2019#purchase

I've noticed that the platinum package includes the LMS Duchess Pack upgraded for 2019; presume that isn't included in the regional pack?

I would go for Platinum, the unified driver/surveyor is worth the extra on its own. The UK version is the original TRS19 with less routes and assets to use and the new 'content store' is far easier to use than the old in game downloader. Then there's the new camera modes, drone, walk and in-car.
cheers
Graeme

It depends what you want. I have the Uk Edition at SP1 and no international or US clutter to take up space and get in the way. The new updated Duchess models have new meshes and all the PBR texturing bells and whistles, but to my mind they just look weird like they are coated with hyper-shiny jelly. I've tried the unified driver/surveyor system, but wasn't that impressed with it and if you're not careful you can end up with the work that you've done going missing into the wrong layers or being lost altogether. As you might have guessed I have a simple is best approach when it comes to Trainz and I just want it to function properly without being buggy or destroying the hard work that I've done.

Last edited:
I will confirm what KotangaGirl says about the Dutchess, it's fine in TANE but in TRS19 it's a load of over polished useless cr@p! More suitable for Sodor than UK use.
Who wants a depot full of working locos that are too shiney? not me. The blue one looks like it has a coat of Hammerite paint and all of the tenders vanish after 500ft viewing distance!
I tried the unified driver/surveyer in Plus subscription, not suitable for me, I ditched Plus subscription and went back to TRS19 basic. (although my build shows as 106618 still).

The Duchess's look like they have just come out of the paint shop in TRS19 because they have been converted to PBR, obviously by someone who has never seen one in the flesh and as they can't be edited not a lot anyone can do about it.

Older CP rolling stock

Where can I find older CPR CAnadian rolling engines like was available in the original Trains?

William[/QUOTE]

The Duchess's look like they have just come out of the paint shop in TRS19 because they have been converted to PBR, obviously by someone who has never seen one in the flesh and as they can't be edited not a lot anyone can do about it.

I'm not at all impressed by PBR shiny jelly coat that seems to be the default for any engines now being made for TS2019. With the Duchesses you're better off buying the ones sold by GP Locomotives since they look reasonably nice in TS2019 with no stupid over shiny paint work.

I'm not at all impressed by PBR shiny jelly coat that seems to be the default for any engines now being made for TS2019.

Actually, TRS19 introduces new materials that make it possible to have any range of shininess or not. The problem is older content that doesn't specify how shiny (or not) the material should be.

Stuff being made specifically for TRS19 should appear far better than old content in the older engine.

And a good few legacy engines in TS2019 look better than some of the made for TS2019 engines Tony. Done well by someone who knows what they they are doing the PBR materials can look very good indeed, but I get the feeling that some creators haven't got a clue. The new Duchesses are awful, - there's no other word for it. They have a rubbery plastic appearance that is nothing like a real steam locomotive.
With most old engines as far back as TS2004 shininess settings in their mesh materials can be readily adjusted and I have yet to find one where I can't do something with it to improve its appearance.

Isn't the point that the engine and materials now support any amount of shininess? Preservation locos tend to be very shiny.

Here's a couple of shots to compare: (sorry large images)

Shiny (Credit: By This image is copyright. You may use it for any purpose, including commercially, but all uses outside Wikimedia projects must be attributed as follows:© Simon Robinson, 2006, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5894894)
Duchess_of_Hamilton_-_2006-05-06.jpg

LMS_Coronation_Class

LMS_Princess_Coronation_Class_6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton

Not shiny
b597a8e159d2a8e7e73d9c0e064d4b91.jpg

What I think you're really after is different skins so you can select your preferred option.

I'd say our version is not shiny enough. Fwiw, I like Brendan's update as is:
2020-11-27_162256.png

Last edited:
Yes I suppose you are right Tony. I know I can be a terrible Luddite when it comes to Trainz, but I do like my engines to look like they work for their living.

This is 'Duchess of Buccleuch' from my TS12 early BR West Coast borders layout strangely finding itself at Penzance in TS2019. It's a build 2.8 engine, but despite that to my mind it has mass and presence and it looks like a real locomotive that works for its living. It also runs beautifully in TS2019 even if it does have a scruffy council binman wearing hi-vis for a driver.

McNmUyS.jpg

Where can I find older CPR CAnadian rolling engines like was available in the original Trains?

William
[/QUOTE]

Almost everything that was in earlier versions is now on the DLS.

William

Not everything is made with "shine", my work is with the use of PBR textures

(pictures snipped)

And I have to say your work looks good Olegkhim with PBR properly enhancing your models.

I'm not against PBR it's just that sometimes it's not used that well.

This shiny Duchess has really p'd me off. I paid for the standalone package and now I can only use that package in TANE (which I don't use any more), If I want to use it in TRS19 I need to wear sunglasses to avoid the supernova glare. Why can't I use the version I paid for in TRS19 without it being converted to a shiny plastic looking lump with chrome plated motion parts?
Maybe if you stopped the shiny one from obsoleting the original you might make some people happy.

Back