Trainz Model Railroad 2

n3vpolsen

Administrator
We are considering a new Trainz Model Railroad (TMR2) release. This Trainz product (for those who haven’t heard of it before) focuses primarily on model railroading. It is a way of highlighting some of our brilliant content creators that like to focus on model scale creations.

While Trainz is well known for its ability to stream endless terrain that spans to the horizon and beyond, each year we have talented creators send us amazing “model railroad” layouts. While these layouts are smaller in size than the real-world scale routes that ship with each Trainz Simulator release, they are model scale masterpieces within their own right. These extremely detailed environments offer an amazing train experience and we think they deserve their own spotlight.

With that said, we are looking at producing the next instalment of “Trainz Model Railroad” (name suffix to be determined - let’s call it TMR2 for now). While we have many model railroad route submissions for the next TMR instalment already we don’t want you to miss out on the opportunity to submit your own model railroad masterpiece.

If you are working on or have finished a “model railroad” layout and would like to submit it for possible inclusion in the next TMR product then submit it to the new TCCP 2.0 submission process.

Please submit all your model railroad creations to TCCP: https://tccp.auran.com
Note that you'll need to be using TRS19 SP2 Beta (109641) or Trainz Plus in order to access TCCP. Just sign up to TCCP and navigate to the documentation section to follow the instructions for submitting your route directly via TRS19.

Alternatively if you have any questions regarding TMR2 or content submission you can send them to contentcreators@n3vgames.com

We are also interested in hearing from clever session creators to help develop new and exciting sessions for TMR2. Anyone interested can apply to contentcreators@n3vgames.com

Shout out to Phil Skene and Approach Medium for getting in early with some potential routes for TMR2.

It is expected that each route that makes the final product will earn significant royalties for the creator so why not submit your works and maybe turn your favorite hobby into an extra source of income! Look forward to hearing from you all and seeing your model railroad creations!

Disclaimer: Before we greenlight the project we want to give all Trainz creators working on model railroads the opportunity to put forward their routes for possible TMR2 inclusion. Once we have all the submitted content we can determine what work and timing is involved in creating a new TMR version.

cheers,
Paul Olsen
Trainz Team

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the new TMR2 release be based around the TS2019 game engine in one of its versions. And when you say 'Model Railroading' does that mean you are only looking for US content?

Last edited:
Would the new TMR2 release be based around the TS2019 game engine in one of its versions.
TMR2 would use the latest engine technology.

And when you say 'Model Railroading' does that mean you are only looking for US content?
Not limited to US content no. The original TMR shipped with different locations with US being just one of them. You can find information on the original release here.

Last edited:
I own the original release so I know what was included Paul. Possibly I'm being a little pedantic, but for the majority of non-digital railway model enthusiasts (and I used to be one) Model Railways and Model Railroads are two quite separate things and deal with completely different prototypes and approaches to layout building. I'm not trying to be difficult it's just that I can't help feeling that should I build a representation of a classic British layout from the 1940s-1950s era I would be on a losing streak before I even submitted it.

I have 2 submitted that I hope will be good to be included with the game :)
They also come with achievements, so those that want to earn the achievements can.

Cheers

I would never speak ill of another chance for revenue, I just shudder to think of all the DLS routes that are going to include assets from this DLC. We see plenty of it from TMR, and now there will be more from this version. I guess its just as inevitable as stuff from S&C and many others. Life goes on....

So to confirm, Routes can be summitted in TRS19 cdp's for inclusion?

You can upload your routes to TCCP directly within TRS19. (You'll need either the current TRS19 Beta version or Trainz Plus to get TCCP access)

Those who haven't used TCCP 2.0 before I suggest reading the TCCP documentation here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off at a slight tangent, could I suggest the opportunity is taken with this to see if any tweaks can be made to the core code to better support the model railway concept? I am particularly thinking of stacked layouts where these are built on more than one level which, while not impossible, is not particularly easy applying the TMR concept to the existing builder engine. We also need something done about tunnels - the shortcomings of the current dighole system are nowhere more apparent than trying to fit a network of tunnels in close proximity, with all its associated issues. Likewise, we need to be able to dive under the terrain to work on sections that may be buried under the scenery or another level on top.

I own the original release so I know what was included Paul. Possibly I'm being a little pedantic, but for the majority of non-digital railway model enthusiasts (and I used to be one) Model Railways and Model Railroads are two quite separate things and deal with completely different prototypes and approaches to layout building. I'm not trying to be difficult it's just that I can't help feeling that should I build a representation of a classic British layout from the 1940s-1950s era I would be on a losing streak before I even submitted it.

Gentleman. Railway is an American term. Railroad is a British term. We Canadians always say railroad. The fact that they are be associated with with different approaches to layout building is hardly surprising. Please let’s not hear about the Canadian Pacific Railway!! It’s Railroad.

Off at a slight tangent, could I suggest the opportunity is taken with this to see if any tweaks can be made to the core code to better support the model railway concept? I am particularly thinking of stacked layouts where these are built on more than one level which, while not impossible, is not particularly easy applying the TMR concept to the existing builder engine. We also need something done about tunnels - the shortcomings of the current dighole system are nowhere more apparent than trying to fit a network of tunnels in close proximity, with all its associated issues. Likewise, we need to be able to dive under the terrain to work on sections that may be buried under the scenery or another level on top.

Hello Vern, I couldn't agree with you more. I tried using TMR 17 to build my 2 level model railroad I'm building in real life to no avail. I'm sure the builder engine works great outside of model railroads but the "dighole" process just doesn't work for this. Working in construction, mainly framing houses for the last 30 years, I would say building a virtual model railroad needs to be more like building a real model. A model railroad need benchwork. It needs a room with doors and windows that you can work inside of, because a real model railroad is limited by the space you have. Although I love Trains and the way it looks, I was forced to search elsewhere to create my model. On Steam I found a cheap game with rudimentary graphics called Rolling Line. I've had some success on this platform but it still wasn't easy. Really hope TMR2 happens and happens with a better building process. Here's a video of what I built on Rolling Line.

https://youtu.be/-HrOeVdqzSg

Last edited:
Awesome work Euromodeller! Wish I could get the hang of Trainz TMR17. I would much rather work on Trainz than Rolling Line. If you happen to know of any tutorial videos showing how to build rooms and layouts like yours I'd give Trainz another shot.

Again, nice work
Rod

Not so. Railways in the UK are always named as such. "The road" is a term applied to a length of track, eg. "The train has a clear road" and can proceed.

Ray

Same in New Zealand Ray. It's always been 'railway' here. If you'd said 'railroad' in my engine driver grandad's hearing he would have laughed at you if not told you straight that we only have railways here.

So perhaps, N3V could make 2 versions - Model Railway 2 & Model Railroad 2. That way we can buy the version whose terminologies suit the buyer best.:hehe:

Back