moving assets

eddieprice

I am building a station. I have two platforms, a main station building and two sets of waiting rooms. When trying to place the waiting room on a platform, the plaform moves as well as the waiting room. How do you lock each asset in place? The asset I am trying to move is highlighted in surveyor, eg the waiting room, but the platform moves.

If they are separate assets, try moving each of them into a different layer. Then lock that the layers that do not contain the asset you are trying to move.

This is an old problem often discussed here. Elegant solution is to use the layers system. But what if you don't want to mess with that? Here is what I do:

Notice that there is interaction between objects. The larger the object the larger is the radius of action/interference, so a smaller one is overwhelmed by the larger one. However, splines are not affected by objects. Use the selected spline just as a reference or marking point where an object should be placed. Move away the larger object. The spline is still there, so you place the small object exactly where your reference point should be. Move back the larger object to where it should be, again using a spline reference point. Examine that this is what you want and delete the spline. I use this system also for adjusting passenger height on platforms that interact with invisible platforms. Splines can be adjusted precisely so the surface of the platform matches perfectly the soles of the shoes of standing passengers: delete the spline and move the platform/station object to a perfect position. Is fun and works quite well.

On the case of passenger elevation, I use a road. I think it was road 2; it is flat and may have traffic, but who cares? On the case of assets that require a precise location, use a wall with a defined vertical end. This end is the reference point, and if you line it as best as you can, it will stay in place while you move the station or platform. The length or shape of the spline is unimportant. Also, for the sake of accuracy, make sure the splines show yellow circle so they stay level. Experiment with all this. Don't think I found the way to do it reading from others or in the manual: it requires imagination, initiative, experimentation and boldness.

On the matter of the platform passenger height, I think I used "road 2", just because is wide and flat. But it may have traffic (unimportant). Make sure the end spline circles are yellow so they will stay level both at same height. On the case of the objects, I use a wall. A wall that has a sharp vertical end. Use it as reference point just mark a position/place. Move the platform and station and play with exact positioning of both. Obviously you'll position first the invisible station and then the offending large radius of action building or object, and then remove the spline. I also found that other kind of splines can be used for unintended purposes, such as making perfect straight rails in crowded yards with gazillion turnouts, but that is a case for other threads. Use your imagination, experiment and try.

Back