Signal overlap in TRS2019 - reducing or eliminating?

davidbird

ex-Chilwellian
I am using the ATLS system by Boat to control level crossings on my route. In previous versions of Trainz I was using an ATLS "Inverse Slave" to inhibit the signals pretecting the crossing from clearing until the crossing has opened. This creates an invisible train (which obviously holds the signal at stop) which is deleted when the crossing is operated and recreated after the crossing is closed.

I cannot use the ATLS compatible signals as I am using several different signals. One crossing I have prototypically has a 3A with sub on the Down, semaphore stop and semaphore distant on the Up and a double disc for setback from the Up to the Down Main and Down Branch, all these routes over the road crossing.

Boat has kindly produced a TRS19 compatible V3 of the Inverse Slave which works perfectly in a simple setting with just a single signal.

However in a more realistic setting, I cannot get a train to approach the crossing, as the invisible train created by the Inverse Slave occupies the overlap of the protecting signal, preventing the previous signal from clearing. I was not aware of this problem in TANE.

Apart from placing the protecting signal a ridiculously long distance from the crossing, is there a way to reduce the overlap of a signal?

This has always been the case right back to when ATLS came about. You need about 40m between the slave and a signal or trigger as they all have a radius of 20m. Move the slave further away from the signal. As long as the slave is within the block after the signal it will control the signal, it does not have to be on the crossing. The ATLS triggers also need that distance so the slave won't activate them.

Well it seems that the signal I had chosen on my test had a ridiculously long overlap, which must be hidden within the script. I've replaced it with a different signal and now works fine. With the protecting signal a sensible distance from the crossing, the previous signal clears happily even when the Inverse Slave/Invisible Train is still active.

.... As long as the slave is within the block after the signal it will control the signal, it does not have to be on the crossing. ....

It does need to be on the crossing. If it is before, it may still be within the overlap of the signal, if after then, as the crossing opens, there is the risk of the invisible train being recreated before or even as the real train is passing over, causing derailments.

Any reason your not using TRC signals ?

TRC signals? I'm not using the ATLS controlled SEN CITY signals as there is not the variety I require for my prototypical UK route. Is that what you mean? I could only find 1 TRC signal (search on CM for "TRC" and "sig"), which is US style.

Thanks for all your help

It does need to be on the crossing. If it is before, it may still be within the overlap of the signal, if after then, as the crossing opens, there is the risk of the invisible train being recreated before or even as the real train is passing over, causing derailments.
As long as the slave is between the 2nd and 3rd trigger it won't operate until the train has passed the 3rd one. You can also delay the slave from operating for a period after a train passes the 3rd trigger.

Back