Niagara Prototype Drone Footage

Seane2c

Can't help it I'm addicted to this hobby now. It's actually helped me learn plenty of operations details. More to come and on my YouTube channel. For now here is a taste.

Thanks

Sean

This is a fun little operation. Loads 5 bio fuel cars at a time and has 5 empties attached behind it to spot in place.

Thanks

Sean

Amazingly the Mavic Mini doesn't take much of a clear space to get up above the trees. Though if your in a canopy then of course you'd have to take off in a park or open area. The example here I actually took off in the middle of a quiet road to view an active rail yard. Note I'm in between plenty of wires etc. but had no problems. If you compare it to a toy helicopter for example which I also own, the helicopter will drift with the wind. Now the Mavic Mini retains it's current hovering location based on GPS. It will only move when you want it to (or if you fly in conditions above 8 m/s ).

Thanks

Sean

This of course is also a very powerful tool that shows you things that Google Earth just can't when creating a route. So with Google Earth and similar images you have a top down look. Not only do you get closer and more detailed even at a safe height (I'm often as high as 100m though I clear most obstructions above 30m). The perspective of being able to see something from an angle where the Google mobile or roads is not always available.

In the Dain City example there are no roads to get a view of the loaders. Port Robinson the only way you would get a similar side view is on railroad or private property along the right of way (I took off from the closest street available).

I've got another window opening up tomorrow at lunch and have a flight plan ready.

Thanks

Sean

Nice!

I agree this is way above what Google Earth can gives as a tool, no pun intended. With a drone such as this, we can see stuff of course that is not visible from the ground that gives us more than a snapshot of what's in a location. I noticed the track layout here, for example, then wondered what kind of track I would use for the various lines. I saw some that look similar to JR US 132# track, for example, with the grey ballast. The buildings in the industrial park too look something like Dave Snow's industrial buildings. The best part though is watching action as it unfolds. This gives us operating ideas such as the DPU units waiting for the full freight to be made up. I noticed that there is no switcher doing the work and only the front power units doing their on switching. This too is another operating idea for me.

As far as drones go, yeah, we're quite treed in here farther south in Southern New England as well as highly populated. This doesn't mean we can't fly drones, however, it means we're more restricted with permission required for flying even the smallest drones in the area as was witnessed by my brother a few days ago. For some reason, we're considered to be in a restricted airspace due to being in "close proximity" to two major airports according to the FAA. In reality we have to drive 100 km north to Manchester New Hampshire and 35 km south to Boston in order to be in close proximity, but the FAA thinks we're still close even though flights are a number of km above us, and I don't think a drone such as yours, or the one we were looking at which might be the same one because the model number sounds the familiar, can fly as high as the jets.

Yeah the drones can fly as high as the jets for sure. I'm not sure what is happening in the United States, but here in Canada we're fortunate to have very little rules for micro drones below 250 (the mavic mini is 249g).

I recorded some close mainline views on Wednesday (more detailed than Google Earth). I'm hoping to get more operations video on Saturday.

Thanks

Sean

Got to register now in the UK and take a test for Drones and remote controlled planes from 250g to 20kg and limited to a radius of 500m and an altitude of 400ft, presumably that's above ground level and not actual altitude above sea level!

Decided it's probably safer to avoid getting one although I was tempted by a bankruptcy sale last year.

Good videos though. :)

In the U.S. they have cracked down a bit because of idiots flying them near aircraft, and I don't see them in the wild much, but I do see lots of footage on the local news broadcasts and things, and it seems they have them for sale just about everywhere I look....

Yeah fortunately in Canada the micro-drones have saved any of this for now. Give 'em time, governments like to have their control.

I've actually been away from Trainz for over a month. Finally starting to calm down a bit as the colder weather chills the enthusiasm to get out as much now (not to mention the elements at times).

This one is another example of a place that Google Earth or even the road can give you a shot of. 16 Mile Creek is only reachable by canoe (no trails). This was the first time I got to see if in motion with a train passing over from the side. I have other videos of 20 Mile Creek but they have a bit more access.

This was probably one of the last videos I've done that didn't include music. I started adding that in a couple weeks ago but it takes a bit more effort to get them up. Still not sure if it's worth the added effort, but since then I've tried my best. My son keeps me up to speed on Trainz as he is very active. But I've started to do a few things again.

Thanks

Sean

Back