Moving TRS2019 Installation and Mods to SSD Temporarily.

cvffan113

Hello, all. Today, my older brother brought me over a brand new computer that he built for me after looking at the specs of the one i'm on now, and we both quickly realized that the specs were not up to task for a game like Trainz 2019. New tower isn't hooked up, i've been transferring over a lot of stuff onto a 4TB Seagate SSD.

Gotten my documents, pictures, videos, music and such copied over onto the SSD, and now here comes the part where i copy over my Steam games. I have chosen to move over TRS2019 first. While this tutorial has explained to me well on how to move over Steam games onto an external, i haven't found any other tutorials that have been as good about telling me how to move over Steam game add-ons, My installation of TRS2019 having its add-ons installed in AppData/Local/N3V Games.

None of the other games in my library have any mods installed, so getting them on the new computer will be an easy task. However, i want to say this before anything else - Never have i had to move any game mods over to an SSD as well, so i'm kind of a newbie to this. I'm guessing that i just copy and paste said AppData/Local/N3V Games folder onto the SSD? Want to make sure, and if there's another way i have to do it, i'll gladly follow the steps. Believe i have over 10,000+ Trainz add-ons, and i absolutely do not want any of them to disappear into nothingness upon loading up Content Manager once on the new computer, particularly as some of them are from sites that aren't around anymore.

whats-the-best-way-to-back-up-my-computer

Hello, all. Today, my older brother brought me over a brand new computer that he built for me after looking at the specs of the one i'm on now, and we both quickly realized that the specs were not up to task for a game like Trainz 2019. New tower isn't hooked up, i've been transferring over a lot of stuff onto a 4TB Seagate SSD.

Gotten my documents, pictures, videos, music and such copied over onto the SSD, and now here comes the part where i copy over my Steam games. I have chosen to move over TRS2019 first. While this tutorial has explained to me well on how to move over Steam games onto an external, i haven't found any other tutorials that have been as good about telling me how to move over Steam game add-ons, My installation of TRS2019 having its add-ons installed in AppData/Local/N3V Games.

None of the other games in my library have any mods installed, so getting them on the new computer will be an easy task. However, i want to say this before anything else - Never have i had to move any game mods over to an SSD as well, so i'm kind of a newbie to this. I'm guessing that i just copy and paste said AppData/Local/N3V Games folder onto the SSD? Want to make sure, and if there's another way i have to do it, i'll gladly follow the steps. Believe i have over 10,000+ Trainz add-ons, and i absolutely do not want any of them to disappear into nothingness upon loading up Content Manager once on the new computer, particularly as some of them are from sites that aren't around anymore.

Just a suggestion here,

Whenever your anticipating a movement of substantial Files/Programs etc......It is a good idea to get some type of Portable Hard Drive, Not SSD, but Platter Drive because SSD's Die on the Spot, Platter Drives usually give a warning to let you know they are starting to fail....SSD is great for Computer and will really help things, Programs, Windows to speed up......I have a ASUS ROG Strix, that had Platter Drives, which I upgraded to two SSD's and it works great..........

As stated earlier, I use my Platter Drives for backing up, along with Carbonite to backup too Cloud as well.....Multiple Backups are a must for me.......I have 570K of Assets in Trainz and Family Photos in Digital Format......Don't want to lose any of it.....Some would be irreplaceable for sure........

Portable Hard Drives or storage in general is very cheap now to purchase...........;)

https://www.howtogeek.com/242428/whats-the-best-way-to-back-up-my-computer/

Hope this helps you........:wave:

Thanks for that. Never heard of a platter drive before, thanks for telling me. And that should help...

And i might have been confused a bit on the terms, this is actually an external drive. Still, i assume just copy AppData/Local/N3V Games onto there to keep all my add-ons?

Thanks for that. Never heard of a platter drive before, thanks for telling me. And that should help...

And i might have been confused a bit on the terms, this is actually an external drive. Still, i assume just copy AppData/Local/N3V Games onto there to keep all my add-ons?

Open up the App-data folder.

Just copy this:

N3V Games\trs19

You don't need the whole App Data folder because that also contains system-specific information and that will mess things up on your new computer.

Ah, so it is as simple as i thought it'd be. Had to ask here on the forum just to make sure, though. And i found no other threads with anyone planning on doing this, so i guess this makes me the first one.

Went ahead and did so. Gonna take quite a while for it to finish, but i'm glad that i quickly got my answer. Thanks, JC.

It is best to add-in another layer using "off-site" storage. Carbonite, as mentioned above, is a reputable company with longevity on their side. It ain't cheap but price a reconstruction that might only yield 85% of your data versus 100% barring an atomic war.

Back