Curved screen and Surveyor

simtrain

Hi,

Is anyone using a curved screen?, if so what's it like when using Surveyor? Is there any screen distortion?

Simtrain

Yes, I have been using a Samsung Odyssey, 27 inch, 2560x1440, 1 ms, 240 Hz curved gaming monitor for about two months now. The curvature is more extended compared to the more "normal" curved monitors available. I have not seen any screen distoration or distortation of any kind in Trainz surveyor, drive, or in any game at all so far.

It only took a couple of hours in game initially to get used to the curve having come from a flat screen, but it was a big wow for picture etc, plus a lot more 'immersive'. The peripheral vision is more focused in game and not so much outside the monitor fame. The only thing that did stand out a bit, which took a couple of days to get used to, was when having a web page up, the curve was more noticible with the straightness of the web page. But now I am used to it and it is fine. The higher refresh rate is very noticible for the eyes and they do not get tired or dry now. I highly recommend a monitor with a refresh rate of at least 144 and up.

Yes, I have been using a Samsung Odyssey, 27 inch, 2560x1440, 1 ms, 240 Hz curved gaming monitor for about two months now. The curvature is more extended compared to the more "normal" curved monitors available. I have not seen any screen distoration or distortation of any kind in Trainz surveyor, drive, or in any game at all so far.

It only took a couple of hours in game initially to get used to the curve having come from a flat screen, but it was a big wow for picture etc, plus a lot more 'immersive'. The peripheral vision is more focused in game and not so much outside the monitor fame. The only thing that did stand out a bit, which took a couple of days to get used to, was when having a web page up, the curve was more noticible with the straightness of the web page. But now I am used to it and it is fine. The higher refresh rate is very noticible for the eyes and they do not get tired or dry now. I highly recommend a monitor with a refresh rate of at least 144 and up.

I was initially looking at the G9 49 inch because I do flight sim, but now thinking it maybe to big, so looked at the 32 inch G7. I like doing 3d graphics, and scenery etc., so wasn't sure if a curved screen would be any good because of the curvature.

Steve aka simtrain

I am not sure if the curvature would interfere with what you are doing regarding the 3d graphics and scenery. Perhaps it will depend on the size of the window of your program as the Samsung screen curve is more exaggerated. If you could find a retail store to physically see the monitor curvature, it would give you a better idea perhaps. It is a hard decision to make as I went backwards and forwards whether to buy or not. Looked on Youtube and reviews and not all were five star. There were comments on how exaggerated and unecessary the curvature was, but at the end of the day it still did not make my mind up. I took the plunge (not normal for myself) and purchased and have not regretted it one bit (so far). When I see another brands curved monitor now, it is like "that is not a curve!" :hehe: .

Yeah, 49 inch is definitely big, but the 32 is a decent size. Anyway, there are a lot of monitors out there, so one may pop out to be suitable for what you are looking for. :)

The point of a decent curved monitor is that your eyes don't notice the curve.

I was unsure how I'd get on with one, so bought (second hand) a 32" 21:9 Acer Predator X34 about six months ago, having previously had an LG 29"21:9 flat screen, and my eyes are still thanking me - both for the curve and the 3440 x 1440 resolution.

TRS19 looks a treat on it, and the GTX1080Ti with G-Sync runs it really well.

I've finally settled on the Samsung crg90. The curve is 1800R, so not too much of a curve.

PC wise, I've gone for;
10th gen i9
32Gb RAM
Nvidia RTX3090.

Simtrain aka simtrain

Last edited:
Nice! That is one very long monitor :) and will be great for your flight simulator. Are you already using it or waiting on delivery?

Exciting! At work the hours would feel like they were so slow in passing when impatient to get home. In other words "are we there yet?" :( :hehe:

Back