Selecting Trees - New Objective

boleyd

I like accurate trees in my route. I have looked at all the various trees and recently very closely on the assets that have a description that begins with the word Tree. The reason is that if I use third party, the morning would show a treeless landscape except for thousands of orange boxes due to a new overnight Faulty status. I have no way to bulk re-populate since the Content Manage has the trees marked faulty. So, while they are on the database as faulty that status prohibits the customer from even using the trees as an "existing" asset for purposes of bulk replacement. You are now faced with hours restoring forests and landscapes.
Are any trees permanent?

Solution - for assets that could be used in large amounts, develop a method to allow the customer to still use them as an anchor for bulk replacement should they be marked Faulty. Any asset used in a universal manner can be deemed Faulty should a developed feature be in software conflict of some new feature. Restoration can waste a lot of time IF a suitable replacement can b found.

All the assets that begin with the word "tree" should be a safe replacement to faulty tree assets. But only if you buy into, all trees have a white trunk and ranches.:eek:

Given all the problems you have with faulties, are you sure you're not trying to use the one local data folder for more than one Trainz install? Or do you do any other manual steps anywhere?
If things are not faulty when you go to bed and you don't download, update, or change anything, it will be in the same status as when you left it.
I would love to get to the bottom of your troubles so perhaps explain all the steps involved in this comment:
"The reason is that if I use third party, the morning would show a treeless landscape except for thousands of orange boxes due to a new overnight Faulty status."

Dick, I have had the same trees on my routes for years and none have gone faulty, particularly overnight after use.
It is my firm belief that your wounds are self inflicted, as I have never seen so many problems fall upon a trainzer, ever.
Ok, why are your trees faulty? What is the error? It is possible that all you need to do is update a library file. Some simple maintenence may solve your problem, go to the "out of date" filter in CM and if there are any assets in there they should be updated. (select all, right click and select "list asset versions" sort on "status" and download all "available for download)
When the download has finished, delete all obsolete DLS and third party assets. Check your faulties after this. If you see an asset which is faulty and "list dependents" is empty feel free to delete the file. If it is a dependent of a route, investigate the reason for the fault (view errors).
If you have room on your PC, I would suggest a fresh install of TRS19 perhaps on a second drive to use as a reference in case your working copy gets broken again.
I'm definitely not having a go at you, I'd just prefer to see you having an enjoyable experience in Trainz.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
I do have both Plain Platinum (TRS19) and Plus, both latest versions and fresh installs.
The Plus uses a database that evolved from Platinum when I installed Plus and is on an SSD.

The Platinum database is on the C: drive in the NV3 folder.

I am going to go through the cleanup steps recommended and see what happens.

Thanks for your attention. Given that this is my main entertainment during a 8 month self-quarantine it has some importance. Toss in the USA election and Trainz becomes a "safe-haven".

Last edited:
Hello,
You have Tony's ear (3 posts above). If I were you I'd take that opportunity to answer every question he asks in detail. You have problems that no one else has and an answer needs to be found. Your installs are messed up or something is drastically wrong. Since installing TRS19 early release in Oct 2018 I have not had the asset issues you seem to have weekly. You need to figure out and understand what is going on. You would be wise to work with Tony.

I would advise: Until you can get a core copy of Trainz working consistently I would not even consider other installs (beta, etc). In fact, if you don't understand what is happening and you don't enjoy testing beta I don't know why you would even want additional installs. Focus on a core install for now and figure out what is happening.

I am staying with 105100 the latest non-Plus build. The reason I got Plus was to get the new Turfx tools. It is a separate database.
I have completed some strategies to clean my database. All trees are as expected but I still have horizontal boxes (orange) on a rail yard. A very similar rail yard on the route has no issue. The same horizontal red boxes show on Plus, which is a separate database. It maybe a GPU issue if two separate Trainz versions have the same issue. The number of parallel tracks in a large yard may be a trigger to a card fault. I will revert to a backup to correct that.

Regardless, I think you need to stop what you are doing, focus on one thing, and answer Tony's specific questions. It's seems you are just going around in circles. It's also impossible to solve things without specifics. ie: Which route? Does the route show missing assets? Does your content manager show missing assets? If so which ones. etc etc. Statements like: "The number of parallel tracks in a large yard may be a trigger to a card fault" does not get you anywhere. Again, opinions only and just trying to help.

Thanks for your attention. Given that this is my main entertainment during a 8 month self-quarantine it has some importance. Toss in the USA election and Trainz becomes a "safe-haven".

Amen to that. Prayers for you in PA for un-corrupted success. I had a similar problem when transferring my "route in progress" from TRS 2012 to T:ANE. Most of the trees I used where from McGirkle (spelling ?) which worked well in 2012 but faulty for T:ANE. It took a lot of time to find decent replacements ....and then trying to reforest a big chunk of NY state ! Not fun.

After you get rolling again:

If the route you are doing is in PA, the trees and vegetation will be close to what I'm trying to create in Central NY state. Lots of tree covered rolling hills, golden rod, and thick woods. Once you get the tree situation straightened out, maybe we could share some screen shots and exchange ideas. I found a list of common trees and vegetation for this northeast region and set out to match it up with what's available. Now if we could get some fireflies for the late spring and early summer...( I've got a 9 mile swamp that could use a few).. Good luck with what you're going through...having to spend so much time working backwards isn't any fun.

I was referring to a route where the majority of the trees are from a single source (Ultra or SAM). Should the need arise to "remove these trees" You could loose all the trees on the route if they were all from a single source.

I assumed that a new feature was in conflict with the trees so they were set to Obsolete in the database. Therefore, they no longer displayed. Since they were now Obsolete they could not be used as a "target" in "Bulk Asset Replace". Thus hand replacement would be needed. Also, because the original trees are now obsolete there are no trees on your route.

Hey, thanks for the interest. I am a danger to myself since I tend to relate today's stuff to the 1960's through 2005.

I am a danger to myself since I tend to relate today's stuff to the 1960's through 2005.

Nothing wrong with keeping at least one foot on some solid ground. Beats the hell out of modern day quicksand. Within minutes you could lose yourself. the cart and the horse. :eek:

I was referring to a route where the majority of the trees are from a single source (Ultra or SAM). Should the need arise to "remove these trees" You could loose all the trees on the route if they were all from a single source.

I assumed that a new feature was in conflict with the trees so they were set to Obsolete in the database. Therefore, they no longer displayed. Since they were now Obsolete they could not be used as a "target" in "Bulk Asset Replace". Thus hand replacement would be needed. Also, because the original trees are now obsolete there are no trees on your route.

Hey, thanks for the interest. I am a danger to myself since I tend to relate today's stuff to the 1960's through 2005.
Dick, you seem to be suffering a misconception here. For an asset to be marked obsolete in CM it would require it's updated asset to be present also. The obsoletes MUST be deleted as they WILL cause other assets to become faulty. For example, in the case of speedtrees, each version revision will need its own library asset as a common reference for that series and revision of tree. The problem occurs when the obsolete is not deleted and the tree asset goes faulty with the error message: eg. Sample texture not found in sample asset <kuid2.xxx.xxx.1>. Once the obsolete asset is deleted the error goes away, because the route was using the obsolete asset, which the config called for, rather than the updated one with the new library. The references the new library uses are different than the old library, therefore a fault is generated.
I hope this helps.
cheers
Graeme

One other condition I have now - there are 172 Obsolete tags on Built-In assets.
I do not know of a way for them to be deleted.Looking at configs I do not see a way to overcome the "no delete" condition.

I can see how an obsolete asset going to the Library for common info could be referencing the wrong value and thus use that value with nasty results. I assume that there is logic in the config processor to handle the fault setting based on the return value from the library.

Last edited:
One other condition I have now - there are 172 Obsolete tags on Built-In assets.
I do not know of a way for them to be deleted.Looking at configs I do not see a way to overcome the "no delete" condition.

I can see how an obsolete asset going to the Library for common info could be referencing the wrong value and thus use that value with nasty results. I assume that there is logic in the config processor to handle the fault setting based on the return value from the library.
Sorry Dick, I forgot to mention that while you can update payware and built-ins, you can't delete their obsoletes. I believe they are handled differently anyway. Don't assume anything in Trainz, it's always better to ask a question about how to do something, than asking how to fix a mess
cheers
Graeme

I finally deleted my last Obsolete piece of concrete pipe. I had to use the Revert command. Long shot that worked. Lots of builtin, etc. items that are obsolete but you can only hope they are harmless. Old pointers, process status flags, etc. could still be accessed as long as the stuff was live.

After many years of fixing and programming computers I decided I wanted to be a plain customer and not become involved in the programs logic. So, I am far behind on the internals of the program. Thus, I am dependent on the technical charity from generous people such as yourself. Thanks....

Ok, finished identifying all the Obsolete assets.that can be deleted. Stable so far.

Trees, etc. My objective is to match the trees where I live - 25 miles East of Pittsburgh, Pa. I have lived here all of my life except for short periods in upstate NY, Washington, DC. and Minneapolis. Traveled to several foreign countries but did not pay attention to the trees. Work background - fixing Univac-I computers, programming later vintage Univac computers and finally managing the international telecom network for Westinghouse (early internet/email).

Leaf color is foremost. I assume a summer setting. Leaves are dark green and stay that way at any distance (LOD). Some tree types become bright green at a distance - totally wrong. Then, a full set of leaves on most trees. A few can be more sparse. The shape of the leaves natters in areas that can be seen from the tracks. Dense population of trees is needed. Remember you are evaluating this from a coach or cab window. A trick I use is to grab a set of trees and place them directly, with no design, into residential areas. Again you view from the railroad and you can't see trees in roads or sprouting from roofs except on the front row of homes.

I avoid all trees whose name begins with "tree". Those are horrible. Plus, some deranged person decided that all trees had white trunks and branches.

Up until recently I thought N3V was deleting things with no recourse for the customer. As you can see from the thread that has been corrected. Therefore I now believe to use non-N3V trees since contributed trees are unlikely to be deleted without apparent cause.

So, M;URST and SAM trees seem the best for this region. Bark is correct, shapes are good and the leaves are correct. There are some trees from other groupings as well. Tough to find good pines, spruces and firs.

Ok, that is about all I can remember after sundown.... Regards, Dick

st_rmm trees are good, but you have to translate the species because they are Russian, so spruce is "elka", chestnut "kashtan", pine "sosna", etc. Below is a table I copied from somewhere:

Russian English
Akacia Acacia
Buk Beech
Bereza Birch
Dt Dead tree
Dub Oak
Egevika Blackberry
Elka Christmas tree (spruce or pine?)
Evkalipt Eucalypt
Grusha Pear
Ingir Fig
Iva Willow
Katalpa Catalpa
Kashtan Chestnut
Kedr Cedar
Kiparis Cypress
Klen Maple
Kust Bush
Lavr Laurel
Lipa Linden
Magnolia Magnolia
Mandarin Mandarin
Oleandr Oleander
Oreh Walnut
Osina Aspen
Persik Peach
Platan Plane
Riabina Rowan (or Ashberry)
Sosna Pine
Topol Poplar
Vinograd Grape vine
Vyaz Elm
Yablonya Apple

It's been in the forums before, more than once, but gets lost in the history as with so many things. ....... A quick method for replacing speedtrees gone defunct in T:ANE & TRS19 uses the following steps .......

If you know that speedtrees that work in, say, TS12 won't work in T:ANE or TRS19, you need to perform a transmutation process as follows:

First, make a copy of your route for transport from a pre-T:ANE Trainz Build to post T:ANE Trainz Build.

In TS12 (where the speedtrees of your route do appear and are unproblematic) you then must go about replacing them with other, simpler trees that will also work in T:ANE & TRS19. As you do so, it's best to keep a correspondence list of which TS12 speedtree you replaced with what simpler tree that'll work in T:ANE or TRS19. A kuid number to kuid number correspondence list is best, although you can also include names or tree types (if your original speedtrees have a name and tree type).

Personally I replaced all the McGuiral speedtrees I had in TS12 routes with Clam's high quality static trees, carefully noting which Clam kuid and treename replaced which McGuiral speedtree kuid and treename.

Clam's trees will also work in T:ANE and TRS19, so eventually you have a copy of your route that will work in T:ANE & TRS19, with Clam trees rather then non-working speedtrees in it; and your correspondence list.

Next step is, in T:ANE or TRS19, to replace all the Clam trees with speedtrees that do work in T:ANE and TRS19. You need to find them from the various speedtrees that work in T:ANE and TRS19. There are some McGuiral ones but a lot more of the Russian ones that have been mentioned in this thread. There's plenty to choose from, though.

You can use the bulk-replace tool in both the above steps - old TS12 speedtrees to Clam trees in TS12 Trainz Build; then Clam trees to new T:ANE / TRS19 speedtrees in a T:ANE or TRS19 Trainz Build. Even with 50 varieties of tree, you can do a whole route in about 2 - 3 hours - more if you spend a lot of time looking at and choosing which new T:ANE / TRS19 speedtrees to use for which old TS12 speedtree / Clam temporary substitute trees.

I've done this successfully many times. A bonus is that you sometimes come across Clam trees that are better than a speedtree for some locations. No need to change those ones out, see? They are very good, especially in a tanglewood of mostly speedtree, where the Clams can add colour and texture.

Lataxe

Back