Is this normal for a new install?

Forester1

Feeling that my 2019 Platinum install had grown over-bloated at a terabyte, and wishing to reinstall back on the system drive for a leaner and more efficient system, I backed it up and uninstalled it. Then I installed it to the system drive. After downloading my DLC, I thought I should be good to go. But wait. 216 Built-ins have "Newer version available". And if I try to select them all, the Download button goes gray, so one at a time? This could take a while.

Oh, and there are three built-in sessions with Missing Dependencies. Fortunately these are all from one place, the C&O Hinton Route region, <kuid2:439337:101127:4> 1950s Glory Years USA. This is missing some 58 assets, all available for download of course.

But this is not a new install, so no FCT applies. The 58 assets will probably take tonight, and then I can start on the "Newer version available" assets tomorrow night after work.

So if I were a new customer with a brand new install, would I have to figure all this out? Since this is all core product and DLC, are these things not being kept up as assets change? If I WERE a new customer I think I would be frustrated right off the git-go that I had to spend days getting all this to where is should be on a new install. Just sayin'.

The new install is as it was when it was released as is the DLC. Trainz has newer builds and may need to update assets to work with those updates hence newer versions available. In most case you don't need to update assets. The new install will work without those newer assets. DLC may use assets from other DLC packages so would recommend all free DLC packages are downloaded with the TANE update packages.

Make sure you get all the DLC packages. There are some TANE assets as well as some TRS2019 extras that need to be installed as well. Once they go in, the missing assets should disappear.

Hi John. Yes, I Installed everything that was in the content store as installable. I think in this case there were some changes/additions in the assets for the region file, so it had missing assets. And other assets have been updated over time, leading to Newer version available. One would hope these updates would be reflected in the install files, but that would probably require an ongoing effort for every Trainz version and DLC package out there, so it probably isn't doable. Mostly, I was just putting myself in the place of a brand new purchaser who stumbles across this after first purchasing. It would be frustrating to find out you had several days of downloads ahead before you had the complete purchase.
I got the missing assets overnight, and as I work from home, I am getting the newer versions. Fortunately most of them are small, but there are a few in the 10-20MB range that really slow down the process without an FCT, something a new user would be unhappy to learn he needed to finish the purchase, but then a new user may get a 24-hour FCT. It has been a while, but I know I have an expired one I never knew I had...

Hi John. Yes, I Installed everything that was in the content store as installable. I think in this case there were some changes/additions in the assets for the region file, so it had missing assets. And other assets have been updated over time, leading to Newer version available. One would hope these updates would be reflected in the install files, but that would probably require an ongoing effort for every Trainz version and DLC package out there, so it probably isn't doable. Mostly, I was just putting myself in the place of a brand new purchaser who stumbles across this after first purchasing. It would be frustrating to find out you had several days of downloads ahead before you had the complete purchase.
I got the missing assets overnight, and as I work from home, I am getting the newer versions. Fortunately most of them are small, but there are a few in the 10-20MB range that really slow down the process without an FCT, something a new user would be unhappy to learn he needed to finish the purchase, but then a new user may get a 24-hour FCT. It has been a while, but I know I have an expired one I never knew I had...

Yup I can see that being a put-off. I agree that updating the packages is quite an undertaking and it should be mentioned somewhere that there are possible content updates that need to be downloaded from the DLS. Most new users get a month or two FCT so that shouldn't be a problem for them.

Being a Plus user, I have no issues with an FCT running out so I never thought about that.

Once all your stuff is installed, I recommend defragging your hard disk and then running a DBR. The DBR seems to clean up any loose ends after downloading the content. The defrag really helps after all is done as well with all the writes and data being moved around. This is has been my experience anyway.

Yep. I always run an EDBR, so that will be after the next 140+ remaining Newer versions available if nothing else crops up. The updated Shell gasoline station needed a coke machine, so that got added to the missing asset uploads... :eek:

Back