help needed on patching and working with layers.

gch

oNCE AGAIN, i FIND THAT MY ENCEPHALITIS FRACTURED BRAIN HAS LEFT ME SHORT in the memory department. I am running with release assertion 109313. I have managed to lose my patching route and can't find my way back.
I end up with a message saying "checksum mismatch" with lines of information on what is wrong.

I can't find a working path and need help on which folder the patch should end up in. It would be helpful if anyone could help with this or point to a guide in plain English and not techno babble from N3V.

On another point, I have never tried using "Layers" and need to start doing thiss. I am inteding to complets a main layer in a particular year and then a second a few years later.

It would be helpul for a few words of wisdom on this and, again, a plain English guide to the process would be good if someone can do a linking thingy for me.

Many thanks

Graham

Shefford

The patches are auto installed based on your update Stream Settings

Think that would be Trainz Plus Beta Stream.

Launcher > Settings > Install > Change Trainz update Stream.

As for layers I've dabble a bit, but I'm sure there are others with more experience. As I understand it, you can only have one Route layer, any extras need to be done at a session level. You could for example make an Old Semaphore layer and a modern signalling layer. Merge the first into the route and name the route "Old". Merge the second and save as "New". More basic, I've made a hidden layer in a session to show a crash (truck on tracks) and another layer which shows the same removed. Triggers are used to show or hide layers, so lots of possibilities.

As I understand it, you can only have one Route layer, any extras need to be done at a session level.

You can have as many Route layers as you like. In my routes I have 10 or more Route layers and usually as many Session layers. Each layer concentrates on a different aspect of the scenery in the Route - e.g. trees, grasses, bushes, EITs. I have a layer for items that reside on top of other scenery assets.

For example: seats, luggage, sheds, cargo that are often found on station platforms and are impossible to move or delete without first moving the platform. I place those items into their own Route layer and the platforms into another layer. I then lock the platform layer so those items can be easily edited.

I create Session layers for assets that will only appear in a particular Session.

The only thing that has to be watched is that all track assets (track, signals, speed signs, switches, bridges, tunnels, industry active assets including stations, etc) should reside in the topmost "route-layer"

There is an extensive guide to using layers, which includes the above examples, on the Train Wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Layers

Many thanks Malc.

Not sure of the end destination of the update.

Should it track through to the build I am currently using or somewhere else

Graham
Shefford

Back