Blending Tracks?

You can join different tracks together at their end points. I often do this when transitioning from a mainline, to a yard, to a siding, to the totally unused end section of the siding.

You can join different tracks together at their end points. I often do this when transitioning from a mainline, to a yard, to a siding, to the totally unused end section of the siding.

I know that you can join them, but is it possible to blend them so its not such an abrupt color change?

I know that you can join them, but is it possible to blend them so its not such an abrupt color change?

Yes it is, it's been done with a transition track, not sure if there is any for TRS19 specifically but there are these as an example

<kuid:132952:100365> SAM Track TRANSITION 01
<kuid:132952:100370> SAM Track TRANSITION 02
<kuid:132952:100462> SAM Track TRANSITION 03
<kuid:132952:100224> SAM Track CONCRETE transition

You could make your own by doctoring the ballast image on a clone of the track on non protrack, gets a bit more complicated on protrack as that uses mesh libraries.

Yes it is, it's been done with a transition track, not sure if there is any for TRS19 specifically but there are these as an example

<kuid:132952:100365> SAM Track TRANSITION 01
<kuid:132952:100370> SAM Track TRANSITION 02
<kuid:132952:100462> SAM Track TRANSITION 03
<kuid:132952:100224> SAM Track CONCRETE transition

You could make your own by doctoring the ballast image on a clone of the track on non protrack, gets a bit more complicated on protrack as that uses mesh libraries.

Sadly there are no tracks by those names, thanks however.

The ones I’ve seen are not tracks, they are classed as trackside objects, meaning they will be in the same tab as signals, bumpers, speedboards etc. and snap over the actual track. You can then slide them along to the place where the two different tracks join and they cover the hard transition with a blended texture.

I've use those track-objects myself and they do a good job. I only wish there was a better way though, but I can't think of any other way other than create a transition track with a blended ballast between types. There used to be some like that way back in the TRS2004 and before day.

To get around the sudden change between tracks, I will also use a grade crossing or bury the tracks a bit so the transition between the rails isn't so obvious. For really bad track sidings, shrubs and small trees up close to the tracks works well also.

I must admit, the track-object transition pieces I was thinking of were only for the tops of rails - clean to rusty. I wasn’t thinking about transitions in ballast or sleepers/ties.

I must admit, the track-object transition pieces I was thinking of were only for the tops of rails - clean to rusty. I wasn’t thinking about transitions in ballast or sleepers/ties.

Those work well too and I've used them in a few places along with the others.

Two ways I do it: Maintain a yellow spline circle so the track joint is fixed. Now bring up the terrain just a little so it covers the ballast, and paint it with whatever blend looks about what you want. Make this transition at a tunnel, rail crossing, bridge or other suitable object (more or less as suggested on #8). Haven't seen a transition track from rusted to shinny rails, so tough luck and live with it.

Two ways I do it: Maintain a yellow spline circle so the track joint is fixed. Now bring up the terrain just a little so it covers the ballast, and paint it with whatever blend looks about what you want. Make this transition at a tunnel, rail crossing, bridge or other suitable object (more or less as suggested on #8). Haven't seen a transition track from rusted to shinny rails, so tough luck and live with it.

Nexusdj has some rail transition assets that do shiny to rusty.

Back