I wish..

Don't you hate non-descript thread titles? I do too, but just couldn't help myself today.

Anyway, there was a purpose to this. I wish there was a utility or script that could run through batches of assets and auto-delete any image files not being used as textures or thumbnails by the asset.

After using PEV Images2TGA on things made with BMP and JPG files, it produces TGA versions of those files that are not used and simply bloat the asset file size. It's tedious and tricky to manually check every .texture.txt file to decide which images can be deleted and which are genuinely needed. Especially when creators have deliberately used a mixture of BMP, JPG and TGA image formats.

Well, that's my wish.

Technically, it can be done. Most of the work would be scanning through mesh files looking for texture names and suggesting image filenames that may be discarded.

I've not seen many assets that have that problem except for mine, mostly during development where I forget to remove unused images.

My wish is for the Wallabies to defeat the All Blacks occasionally and for the NSW Blues to stop throwing away games after half time. :D

My wish is for the Wallabies to defeat the All Blacks occasionally and for the NSW Blues to stop throwing away games after half time. :D

Me too, and I don't even like rugby.

As for how many assets generate the problem I described, I suppose it's not a great number in terms of percent, but it is a real pain when they do come up. I don't want to name names, but there are some creators who seem to delight in using mixed image formats and these are the worst ones to analyse and correct.

Just the fact that they could exist means that if I've run Images2TGA as a batch operation on hundreds of assets, and I'm being rigorous, I need to manually check each of them one at a time for redundant images.

I don't want to name names, but there are some creators who seem to delight in using mixed image formats and these are the worst ones to analyse and correct.

Just the fact that they could exist means that if I've run Images2TGA as a batch operation on hundreds of assets, and I'm being rigorous, I need to manually check each of them one at a time for redundant images.

IMEditor will show what textures are in use for a material in an IM file but its still tedious as you have to open up each material.

My wish is for the Wallabies to defeat the All Blacks occasionally and for the NSW Blues to stop throwing away games after half time.

If wishes were horses Paul....you'd be a rich man.....:p

Back