Cornish Mainline and Branches TRS19, Problems

Well at the risk of getting an avalanche of abuse, Annie.

I discovered the Cornish Railways route on the DLS, yesterday and installed it.

A far far better creation than this one. Which although modern era, i can still get away with running green\blue diesels on.

Which is the transition period, during which i joined BR..

I still intend to do the signalling on 1930's and remove the grass. But other than that, there is far too much that needs doing.

All the platforms are the incorrect style, way to modern. I have already removed the blue track in the air.

The loading gauge for the double track spacing is incorrect. But i am not touching that, Trainz track laying is my worst nightmare.

Mike.

I'm slowly converting part of the TS2012 Cornish route to 1880s Broad Gauge Mike. To do the whole darn thing would take forever since research takes up as much time as working on the layout. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been simpler to have started off from scratch with the amount of things I've had to delete and rebuild.

Is it the TANE version you downloaded from the DLS? I think that's better than the pre-upgrade TS2019 one if only for the fact it's easier to get the lighting adjusted properly.

I agree though that 'upgrading' the route to the latest TS2019 standards and then making it payware was a completely daft move on N3V's part because there is just so much wrong with it. Their old standby Uk routes the ECML and the S&C had been remixed so many times that no one wanted them anymore so I think they must've grabbed at the Cornish Mainline and thought that doing up it with Turf Effects & etc would somehow hide its faults enough that nobody would notice.

Last edited:
I'm slowly converting part of the TS2012 Cornish route to 1880s Broad Gauge Mike. To do the whole darn thing would take forever since research takes up as much time as working on the layout. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been simpler to have started off from scratch with the amount of things I've had to delete and rebuild.

I agree though that 'upgrading' the route to TS2019 standards and then making it payware was a completely daft move on N3V's part because there is just so much wrong with it.

Not payware as such though as it's actually free DLC, no charge for it. As to why that was done I believe it's creator was involved in the decision to distribute it that way but free.

Last edited:
Is there some confusion between the Cornish Mainline and Branches route by robert3a0 and the Cornish Railways route by marky7890?

The former, Cornish Mainline by robert3a0 is freeware, supposedly 1930's era, and is available as freeware on the DLS I believe, but it's also now been updated and inbuilt into TRS2019 (payware?) and the latter, Cornish Railways is a totally freeware present day route by marky7890 available on the DLS - a superb route it is!

Rob.

Yes you are right Rob I confused the two routes. Mike must've downloaded marky7890's route.

It's a confusing situation with the Cornish Mainline route Malc since it's listed as being payware in CM.

Yes you are right Rob I confused the two routes. Mike must've downloaded marky7890's route.

It's a confusing situation with the Cornish Mainline route Malc since it's listed as being payware in CM.

Yes it is but it's listed as £0 on the Trainz Store, marky7890's route is a far more accurate affair and was actually started long before the "Payware that isn't" version. going back into the past I believe it's creator was of the opinion it would be simpler for the route to distributed by N3V's DLC method but he didn't want any money for it thus it was free.

Thank you for explaining that Malc. It's only because of my interest in Cornish railways that I get such a bee in my bonnet over the Cornish Mainline route.

I even tried to name my route to avoid confusion! :hehe: I will be making a proper thread on this forum once I've finished the manual, made a map, and released an update with a few changes, mainly asset replacement, and fixing a few things.

I even tried to name my route to avoid confusion! :hehe: I will be making a proper thread on this forum once I've finished the manual, made a map, and released an update with a few changes, mainly asset replacement, and fixing a few things.

Yes, confusion indeed! Your rendition of the Cornish railway system is far more accurate than the N3V version, albeit yours is present day and N3V's is meant to be historical but having said that, the creator of N3V's Cornish Mainline, Robert3a0, is an Australian citizen, 12,000 miles away from Cornwall and, as far as I know has never been to Cornwall, let alone any where in the Northern Hemisphere - I accept and apologize that I may be incorrect about this!

I look forward to the update and also the manual to your Cornish Railway route, marky7890.

Rob.

I will leave it to you then Annie, BG is a far more interesting project.

The 1930's route i was refering to is DLC and for TRS19.

The Cornish Railways route is by Mark and is freeware on the DLS.

Although anything after around 1990, does not interest me.

I must say that Mark's modern era CR, is superb and is head and shoulders above a lot of payware.

So i will use it to run mostly BR Blue diesels.

Mike.

As the Route Author, I apologise for any mistakes that might be getting up people's noses. I started the Cornish Mainline in TS12 as a rendition of the Truro/Falmouth Route. I then started expanding the Route along the mainline towards Penzance. My great mistake was attempting to set the line in the 1930s, as it seemed much more interesting than in the last decade. I based much of my work on historical records from the Great Western Signal Box Register https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwdiagrams.htm#XF (where, inter-alia, signaling was determined) , the Cornwall Railway Society http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/ and several other sources. I released several versions covering different components of the Route on the DLS - all as Freeware. Once TANE became viable I converted from TS12. N3V offered to package up the final TANE version; which was released as Freeware to all TANE users around Christmas 2017. N3V then sought my permission to release the Route as a release component of TRS19. I was not involved in the conversion to TRS19 and I was not happy with the outcome. I released a later version containing a whole heap of fixes that had been requested by users. N3V were supposed to release the revised route as a patch when TRS 19 was updated. While some people were quite abusive, most were very positive towards helping me rectify the errors. I have had nothing to do with the sessions that were later released with TRS 19. Beta testing of those sessions would have revealed the session faults presented on these pages. Please note, the Route has always been freeware - I have never been paid any Royalty for it. I was well advanced in continuing the heavily modified Route towards Plymouth (a bit over half way there) but because of the the continual whiners, I discontinued work a bit over 12 months ago. Just remember folks, Trainz is a hobby. If content creators did not contribute, Trainz would die. For robd, no I haven't been to Cornwall but I have travelled much of England and the Northern Hemisphere.

Regards
Bob

...If content creators did not contribute, Trainz would die...
Indeed, you're quite right. Is N3V aware of that fundamental fact?
...For robd, no I haven't been to Cornwall but I have travelled much of England and the Northern Hemisphere...
Again, I apologize for getting my facts wrong about your travels, don't get upset, I was merely trying to state that your efforts with the Cornish Mainline are very good considering your great distance from the Cornwall!
Trust N3V to bugger it up for you!

Rob.

Bob I know I've been one of the moaners and perhaps I should have known better since I mostly model 1880s-1910s era railways and I know how difficult it is to do research. I love the old Cornish railways so perhaps it was because I saw the potential in what you'd done that the errors really stood out for me. Now that I know that N3V were the ones primarily responsible for messing up the Cornish Mainline in TS2019 I feel somewhat embarrassed about my criticisms of the route. The sessions in TS2019 were plainly done by someone who knew not a thing about Britain's railways and plainly N3V didn't know or didn't care that they were nowhere near correct for Cornwall of the 1930s.

As I mentioned I'm using part of your route's landscape to build an 1880s version and research for that has certainly been a challenge. So I hope you'll forgive me for being so harsh. Sometimes when I get passionate about things I can forget to think before I hit the keyboard and post something.

zGaUrsq.jpg

"Passionate" indeed, applies to most of us. That N3V made the sessions and didn't check they work in TRS19 doesn't surprise me, because they didn't check let alone fix any other routes. It's still a great route Bob, and I hope they learn their lesson and check ALL routes before releasing the next version of Trainz (22?). Would have been nice to see it extended to Plymouth, but it's a whole lot of work.

Hi All
In regards to the sessions for the route, our team are currently working on an update for these to resolve the known issues in them (unfortunately changing the content used in them isn't possible in the timeframe available to produce the updates), and this update should become available after TRS19 SP2 has been officially released.

In regards to the update to the route, if this was released under a different AssetID number then unfortunately it will not automatically update the route in the Content Pack. If there have been any changes to trackwork, then unfortunately releasing it as an update for the existing route would break the available sessions far more than any issues that they may currently have, as this can (and likely will) affect train placement, and trackmark and similar placement, on the route.

Regards

Should you ever get so far as fixing the content in the sessions Zec have somebody in your team talk to the Great Western Society about what rolling stock and engines would be found in Cornwall of the 1930s. The present sessions have such mixed content from all over Britain as well as from several different eras that I can't bear to run them.

Back