Cornish Mainline and Branches TRS19, Problems

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
I'm curious if anyone else has had these odd problems with this route, mainly in the area of Helston? Can't say it affects other areas, but it may be because this is where the session I am making starts. The very odd thing that is happening is when driving and selecting to change some switches in the yards, the camera view jumps to an empty wagon (built into the route) OR jumps to and locks onto another JUNCTION LEVER! Since when can a camera lock to a junction lever??

It seems to mainly happen around junctions 55944, 55938 and 55934 whilst shunting a couple of consists. It is the strangest behaviour I've seen and seems utterly impossible. Anyone else come across anything this weird?

I reported camera jumping on to a junction-lever sometime ago, but was told this is normal. The purpose of this is to show which junction is associated with a driver path. My issue with this route and other, no reflection on the authors, is close junctions are difficult to set manually. I have this issue on my own routes as well and I have rebuilt some track to make it easier for me to switch the levers. On my routes, it doesn't matter because I'm freelancing things anyway, but this can be an issue with prototypical routes.

Hm, I have never encounted this before, and it seems to be the one location. I find it hard to believe this is normal, more likely too hard to find the cause. Perhaps it's because there are so many junctions in a small area, guess it will just have to be tolerated. Another issue (not route related) is that multiple industries anywhere near a junction make it impossible to actually change a junction (again in this route so many in a small area near a multi ind.), solution, go to map view zoom in and you can change it there.

Hm, I have never encounted this before, and it seems to be the one location. I find it hard to believe this is normal, more likely too hard to find the cause. Perhaps it's because there are so many junctions in a small area, guess it will just have to be tolerated. Another issue (not route related) is that multiple industries anywhere near a junction make it impossible to actually change a junction (again in this route so many in a small area near a multi ind.), solution, go to map view zoom in and you can change it there.

You happened to encounter the camera jump in this location. I've seen it on my own routes in yard areas.

I do the same in complex areas well. Show junctions and zoom way in to spread them out on the map. The alternative is to give the AI driver a drive to track mark to get them through the mess of tracks and levers. Sometimes, it's actually faster doing it that way.

Hi Alikiwi
Are you possibly clicking on a red signal? If so, this will take you to the object that is causing the signal to show red (ie a traincar, or a junction that is set against the patch ahead of the signal).

Regards

Definitely no signal nearby, and it may jump to an empty wagon - not even close to the junction I'm clicking on, or locks onto a junction, again not the closest one to the one I tried to click on. I just need to get more vertical over it I think, instead of doing it from an external (4) view of the loco I'm driving. No biggy really just odd, thanks.

Once I uploaded the completed session, there were reports of problems with it. Now this NEVER happened to me in Tane for which I would have uploaded well more than 20 sessions. I suspect these above problems had nothing to do with the route, but with TRS19 itself. There are threads somewhere about consists magically leaving the tracks and being thrown into the corner of the map or in this case OFF the map. I believe this is a known bug, with no fix. I stated in my thread on my session creations that I would get around to rebuilding this session, but cloning it clearly didn't work, so I have started from scratch. This time I have no consists floating in neitherland (which I never created) but I have seen some serious weirdness and no problems with the above problems (so far). Take a look at this view from the problem session and then the new one. Exact same date, and time, the only difference is the original session I set snow to 100 metres and had stupid snow on some track and mostly none, so I set it to 150m to avoid that.

Original session>>

GWR-Shunt-session-1-Faulty%2C-Note-grass%21%21.jpg

and the new session >>

GWR-Shunt-Session-1A-Note-grass-or-lack-of-%28and-hopefully-not-faulty%29.jpg

Note I no longer need to mow grass or get out the weed sprayer!!

I dare you to explain that one, and do remember this is a built in route, <kuid2:515942:100169:17> Cornish Mainline and Branches - TRS19.
"TRS19, Where Weirdness Has Found A Home." trademark pending... lol

Last edited:
The problem I think is the seasons. Set your calendar back to July and watch the foliage come back. The seasonal assets really work in TRS19.

From experience the grass is dead in the winter months, at least where I live up here in northern hemisphere where we've stopped cutting the grass in late October and won't drag out a mower until next April if we really have to.

TRS19 total rubbish! Seriously insane. I recreated the session as I said, no problems. Now testing it and fixing some things that needed to be set properly the AI started to go flaky again. Then I noticed the massively overgrown grass had returned!!!! AND SO TOO DID A COUPLE OF CONSISTS OFF THE MAP!!!

These were most definitely NOT there when I created the session, yet they are now. I am not sure if this is a general TRS19 issue or the route given it has builtin hidden consists in a layer called 'HD.' I will ditch this route as unuseable, though I may import my Mini version from Tane at some stage. Fedup is an understatement.

Considering that much of the route was developed in TS2012 and was put into TS2019 with minimal changes and not much checking by anybody at N3V I'm not surprised it doesn't work.
I have an older version on my Tinware 105096 version of TS2019 and it's more or less Ok all things considered. I would think that trying to write sessions for the current version would put you on a hiding to nothing as you've just found out.

I set up a couple of sessions of my on, but they had problems.
On further investigation, it appears that there are quite a number of invisible signals, especially around the yards.
That would explain the odd view movements (click on an invisible signal does exactly what it does to a normal signal!).
It also explained a number of stuck drivers.
You may need to come the route and edit the track layer.

Colin

The original TS2012 layout used invisible signals instead of feathers at junctions and in some yards there could be dozens of them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were taken across exactly like that when the route was put into TS2019.

'1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches - Truro to Penzance' for Trainz 4.3 <KUID2:515942:100004:1> is the better version I think. 'Come Fly With Me' is the only session and it gives a magnificent view over what really is an incredible piece of route building. It's just unfortunate that it's not actually Cornwall of the 1930s since it was built using Google Earth as a reference.
I don't know if the Trainz 4.3 version is still available or not since N3V were giving it away for free before TS2019 came on the scene.

<KUID2:515942:100004:1> is on the DLS and available for download, different kuid so should install ok without affecting the newer one, think its a bit shorter though.

Yes the TS2019 version has had more done with the branchlines and has more layout boards added. The TS2019 version has a lot more problems though with poor signalling/signalling that doesn't work properly as well as other faults. Unless you mess around fixing the lighting it looks like the land of the living dead as well. I only use the TANE version to give my vintage GWR express engines somewhere to have a run and perhaps one day when I get annoyed enough about the faults I'll clone it and fix the problems and make a proper GWR line out of it.

Note:- I have submitted a bug report for this issue.

Extensive testing has shown there is a fundamental problem with the <kuid2:515942:100169:17> Cornish Mainline and Branches – TRS19 route. In edit mode every session has either two unknown/unnamed objects off the boards/map possibly consists, and in every other case at least 2 signals OFF the map. Sometimes consists 128 &/or 68 are also present. The location is almost due west of Truro Aerodrome, at a distance of a full board (700-720 metres) in every case.

Often these revert to there correct location when the session is driven, except consists which tends to only be a problem in every NEW session made. I have found these in each case when checking via Edit Session.

A Trip to Falmouth:- 2 unnamed items on one occasion, next time it was Signal 528738. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] time, showed 4 signals, 528738 536576 1265322 & 1265320.
4[SUP]th[/SUP] time, shows 3 signals 528738 (always this one) 1265322 & 1265320
5[SUP]th[/SUP] time shows signal 528738 plus possibly 2 unnamed objects.

Freight Delivery:- Edit session shows Sig 528738 & 1186098.
Helston Freight Run (Broken) Edit= sig 528738 & 536578 & 536576
Note: the results change every time you re-check...

Given the insanity of this I cloned the route and had to add 4 baseboards to reach the area. They are exactly on the intersection of these baseboards. Nothing will reveal them, zooming in on the map suggests a dozen or so rollingstock items all in the same location. Bug report made.

Wireframe mode also didn’t reveal anything, so it’s impossible to identify what they are, let alone delete them. Also pasting a blank area over them does nothing.

Conclusion:- Any attempt to make a session will always have 1 or 2 signals off the base boards near Truro. Further editing of a new session will cause 1 or more consists to move off the baseboards to the same location. Therefore given that this problem worsens once uploaded to the DLS, any attempt to make a session for this route is a waste of time.

The route is a complete mess and should never have been offered as payware.

But that is N3V's fault, not the author. I did start stripping it all back about 6 months back.

But it is a massive task. Way too much lineside vegetation and grass for the 1960's, never mind the 1930's.

Signalling is a complete mess and not proto, even discounting the invisible signals.

I have since purchased the SRS signalling diagrams for the area, so i will probably give it another go.

But update it to BR-WR steel post signals. I might even put it on the DLS, then all the fanbois can get their knives out. :p :p

Too much vegetation, that's an understatement. Especially given someone added tuftFX but didn't remove the grass splines that it should have replaced. Not only that but I copied the tuftFX into my own route and found the grass at 1/4 the height with the EXACT same settings. Something truly went wrong in that route and I blame the hidden layer which I'm sure includes hidden consists for screwing it up. So far no word from N3V but it's too soon anyway. I have my own version which I've double checked and there are no oddities floating off the map west of Truro aerodrome, so I'm updating that for TRS19.

The route is a complete mess and should never have been offered as payware.

But that is N3V's fault, not the author. I did start stripping it all back about 6 months back.

But it is a massive task. Way too much lineside vegetation and grass for the 1960's, never mind the 1930's.

Signalling is a complete mess and not proto, even discounting the invisible signals.

I have since purchased the SRS signalling diagrams for the area, so i will probably give it another go.

But update it to BR-WR steel post signals. I might even put it on the DLS, then all the fanbois can get their knives out. :p :p

I wore out a mouse and almost my wrist just getting rid of all the lineside vegetation between Truro and Falmouth on a pre-TurfFx version of the route. There's some nasty landscape fudges hidden under vegetation in places as well that will need to be fixed. The signalling is terrible, I didn't need to look at a signal diagram to see that either. The stupid thing is it's almost a good layout/route, but with it based off Google Earth as a primary reference there just so many mistakes with so many things being on the layout that were never there in the 1930s.

Back