Updating Trainz railroad simulator 2019 on steam question

bdubtrain

I saw that the game had a beta update and I check my install tab under Trainz settings and I don't see a check for updates or change update stream. I got the game from steam (my build number is 105175), and is the beta only exclusive to Trainz 2019 premium users?

Last edited:
I also have the Steam TRS19 and I'm only just starting to understand the different product offerings.

My understanding is the beta releases are only available to Trainz Plus subscribers (and Gold members, which includes Trainz Plus).

TRS19 is pretty much locked down and won't be receiving any updates (other than bug fixes of course).

To the OP, there is no beta version available for Steam users. I have complained about this but N3V couldn't care less about Steam users. The real kick in the butt is that when SP2 is released you will be force to install it bugs and all with no way to roll it back.

William

To the OP, there is no beta version available for Steam users. I have complained about this but N3V couldn't care less about Steam users. The real kick in the butt is that when SP2 is released you will be force to install it bugs and all with no way to roll it back.

William

Hi William. Your comments couldn’t be further from the truth. Steam is a large part of our business.

The issue is that we’re a small team and every release takes time and effort, as does running beta tests. We focus our limited resources and attention on the Trainz store build, and forums here as the best way of ensuring we monitor and collate the tester feedback.

Ah, I stand corrected. Seems N3V cares very very much about getting our money minus Steam's 30% cut but not so much about the user experience of Steam users. Once again let me state the fact that Steam users of TRS19 were NOT given the option to not install the SP1 patch. Our only option was to install the patch or not be allowed to run TRS19. There was no way to uninstall and re-install the old version.

Before the SP1 patch I could easily copy an old route from my TRS2004 archive into TRS19 by dragging and dropping the route folder into CM of TRS19. It would download the newest version of any asset on the DLS it could find and then I could install any non-DLS assets from the archive to finish the process. I then could open the route in Surveyor and save it and start making changes. But the SP1 patch totally broke this process and the imported route now had no terrain at all, just objects floating in mid air. I have been told that this was a reported bug that was not fixed before the SP1 patch was released. Now I understand bugs slip through sometimes. That is not why this makes me so angry. I had a working version of TRS19 installed on my computer that I loved and was totally happy with using. I had disabled the automatic updating process of Steam. I did not want to update but I was given no choice.

And yes I am aware of the workaround using TS12 as an intermediate step but why should I waste my time doing that when the process had worked fine the way I was doing it.

The real kick in the butt is that when SP2 is released you will be force to install it bugs and all with no way to roll it back.

Just to clarify, this is simply due to the way Steam handles updates. They don't provide any way of updating outside of steam, nor do they provide any way of not installing updates (without forcing the game offline entirely, and this is only possible for a short period where available), or any way of rolling back to previous updates.

If you want the freedom to not install updates, or to install previous builds (where available), then you will need to use non Steam versions of Trainz. If you want to run Trainz through Steam, then you will need to understand that Steam's system severely limits the options we have.

Beta testing through Steam is possible, but it is time consuming, and a lot more difficult, than beta testing outside of Steam for Trainz. Doing so would substantially extend the time required for beta testing each build, or mean that we need to spend less time on actually fixing bugs in Trainz. For the most part the Steam builds have little to no difference to non Steam builds, except that they are setup to use Steam (which does require a few changes to a few things, but these are well known to our team). The core systems in them are basically the same. But as Steam requires specific changes, this means building it separately to non Steam versions, which is time consuming to do.

Regards

Hi Zec,

From my timeline above, you can see I have every version of Trainz produced by Auran/N3V for the PC. All bought directly from your company. I have also had every version released under Steam as well as many add-ons purchased through Steam or directly from the Trainz Store.

Frankly, I have always preferred using the Steam versions since they have always been vastly superior in the handling of add-ons installations and removals. You have to admit that until the addition of the in game store of TRS19 Platinum that adding and removing add-ons in earlier versions or the retail builds was clunky at best and down right impossible in some cases.

As for the effort to produce a beta test build for Steam, I know first hand that it was worth the effort in the past as I personally took part in that testing.

William

Back