Is an internet connection required at all times to run Trainz Plus?

jimbursch

Is an internet connection required at all times to run Trainz Plus? Or, put another way, if my computer loses internet connection, can I still run Trainz Plus?

I think you can run it for 30-days without a network, but you are required to login again at that time to reauthorize, otherwise, stuff isn't authorized.

There is a DRM-free version of T:ANE and only last versions of TS12 had DRMs.

Ahh yes, thank you for reminding me. The DRM free version of TANE was, I believe, only available to Kickstarter supporters (no doubt someone will correct me if that was not the case). I did have the DRM free TANE version but I found that every time I switched DRM back on so that I could download from the DLS, TANE went into a long data validation process so after a while I simply left the DRM free option turned off, effectively I ditched it in favour of the normal version. But for those without a reliable (or any) internet access, the DRM free version would have been useful. In all the years I have been using the various Trainz versions with the "phone home once a month for authentication" feature, I have never had a problem with it.

Last edited:
The DRM free version of TANE was, I believe, only available to Kickstarter supporters.

No, I was not. At some time I got an email from N3V asking if I'd be interested in the DRM-free version then received a serial key (there was one for Standard and one for Deluxe version).

In all the years I have been using the various Trainz versions with the "phone home once a month for authentication" feature, I have never had a problem with it.

It becomes a problem if one doesn't have Internet at home. (I admit that such a condition isn't normal.)
I can't use any of the "phone home once a month for authentication" versions of Trainz on my desktop because I'm not willing to lug it to a relative's house once a month for authentication. I can and do run Trainz on my laptop, but my desktop has better hardware.

Back