How To Deal With Creative Burnout

If you want to do something to get over creative burnout, it would be nice if you could help me with my Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum project. It's pretty much stalled now. I just need help with structures, the turntable, and switchstands.

Last edited:
If you want to do something to get over creative burnout, it would be nice if you could help me with my Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum project. It's pretty much stalled now. I just need help with structures, the turntable, and switchstands.

Sounds interesting but I like to stick in the anthracite region...the anthracite region of the past.

If I may suggest try a semi prototypical route? I understand you feel you may not have creative juice needed, but this might help. Like you I enjoy an older style route mostly targeting the early 20th century. First target an area of interest then make a DEM.

Now here's a chance to flex those creative juices. Put pen to paper and make a list of what the route must have. Like me, throw the kitchen sink at it. Now embrace alternative history and give the railroad a reason to exist. I suggest make your own railroad company or do a what if for an existing line. One thing I enjoy doing is contacting other creators and using their fictional lines on this forum and connecting to them. Getting input from them helps flesh out the new project.

Try not being a slave to history, but go online and check out alternative history or what if topics. Example for me and my route I found the great Anglo - American War of 1928. Using that changing around a few other dates of world events and throw in a world rich in coal and poor in oil and you have a steam powered world. Biggest thing is give yourself enough wiggle room to make things fit.

Unlike you I do not possess the talent to create content. To help speed the route along only use existing content and make it fit. Of course with your talent you may find the route needs something special, whip it up, put it on the route, and move on. I believe after starting the route it will take on a life of its own and your ideas should start flowing again and the excitment return.

As I write this I'm returning from a vacation to Bryson City N.C. and a ride on the Great Smokey Mountain Railway pulled by 1701 a great steam locomotive. The sights, sounds smells, and feelings is pushing me to update the L&A to TRS19 standards along with using the suggestions given to me by the now late Norm Hart. A good train ride can do wonders for creators block.

You have made wonderful content and I look forward to seeing your new project. I would also like to offer the L&A interchange and through passenger service to your new route.

Dave

If I may suggest try a semi prototypical route? I understand you feel you may not have creative juice needed, but this might help. Like you I enjoy an older style route mostly targeting the early 20th century. First target an area of interest then make a DEM.

Once again I left this information out....I also forget information! :(

The Laurel Line Route was made in TrainzDem a long time ago. I have have a complete DEM of the Lackawanna & Wyoming Valleys mapped out with and overlay of topographic maps from 1949. I kept a blank version of the route just in case of a situation like this! The map is ready to go, so no fuss there.

The history part that I'm stuck on is just finding basis reference pictures of buildings so I can build a fairly representative model of the structure. Many of the building and bridges I need to model are long gone!

https://trn.trains.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/2/b/7/scranton-railroad-map.pdf

found this, dont know how much it will help, but its just about all i could find since i too couldnt find much

Yes, I have that map in my arsenal. Along with aerial photo views from 1939 and 1959. I also have topographic maps from 1949 with the same set of map as an overlay. and a set of system maps. Maps are pretty much covered at this point. There is actually a nice long list of buildings I need reference pictures for so I can model them.

what are some of the buildings?

No need to worry about it. This idea was a bust and it's going nowhere. People just don't like to collaborate. So I'm closing up shop a moving to something else. However, if there is a group out there that would like to take on this route or any other anthracite route in the future, I'm am only a PM away.

Well, thank you for your work so far! I've always loved your work

Scott, I'd suggest you talk to dej. He's an employee for the Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad, is based in Scranton, and is creating the Delaware-Lackawanna Railroad in Trainz. I know that you are interested in a different time than he is, but you're modeling the same area, but different times, so you might find someone who would be willing to help you with some of your project.

One thing I will add to this and that is this. I posted a similar message over at Train-Sim while talking about another Sim I was once fond of. When you like or love something, you will miss it. When you dislike or hate something, you will not. Regardless of that there are two factors procrastination, and memory filing. I take seizure medication (though I do it only to drive because I haven't had one in years now, not considered an epileptic but similar nocturnal ones based on childhood head trauma) this makes my memory not as good as most. It's also something the older you get may be part of your everyday life.

With that in mind I've used some of the advice here. I've got my son involved because he gets bored, and I reckon his Trainz projects start with good ideas but are hard to research or get the creative juices to continue. So he is very much excited about what I'm doing. I gave him permission to edit my route and trust he won't destroy it. In fact he has helped me with various techniques and his LOD is much better than mine I think.

I also start setting realistic goals and vary up the tasks. The goals are prioritized to begin some kind of operation. So I'm not obsessed now with getting the elevation right for the entire line any longer. As far as I know when it comes to session saves of a route that continues to develop is you need the track that the cars are on in a save NOT to change. In other words I have to get the elevation set in my yard.

Made lots of headway this weekend. Managed to get almost all my field video complete now. Just in time before winter weather sets in. I'm down now to the last few miles of CN mainline. I'll keep CP and the short lines as a project for the spring. Once I have the mainlines and yards in place I'll begin operating again. This as mentioned does give you the fruits of your labour approach. Have some fun with it, and I'm looking forward to that real soon.

I think one trap that I fall into is as much as some of the screenshots are very motivating, they often set your own skills to high. The shots that you see others is due to many failures in the past which you learn from and make it better next time. I can say this with very little experience still only about half a year in Trainz 2019 (2010 was more of a curiosity). I say that with confidence because that is a trait that applies to many things in life when you are trying to master a craft.

Appreciate all the ideas in this forum. Hopefully my ideas and takes inspires others as well.

Thanks

Sean

Excellent points, Sean and very true indeed.

I voiced, tuned, and regulated an Italian virginal this weekend instead of Trainzing. My projects were stuck dead fast in a rut and I couldn't get past that block no matter what I tried. I went off and did the maintenance on the instrument that I've been putting off for quite some time and it felt good doing that too. The instrument still has a bit more tweaking, tuning, and adjusting but it's in rather good shape. When I'm ready, I'll be Trainzing again in full.

So while I have nothing in the pipeline to be working on. I'm now thinking it might be a good idea to start learning about the new FBX export and the PBR texture system. This is also a desperate attempt to get my mind off of government and politics...anybody living in the US at this time knows exactly what I mean! :eek:

Anyhow, Is there any suggested YouTube channels out there yet that shows tutorials working in Blender to TRS2019?

Maybe if I know what I doing I might be inspired to start creating content again.

So while I have nothing in the pipeline to be working on. I'm now thinking it might be a good idea to start learning about the new FBX export and the PBR texture system. This is also a desperate attempt to get my mind off of government and politics...anybody living in the US at this time knows exactly what I mean! :eek:

Anyhow, Is there any suggested YouTube channels out there yet that shows tutorials working in Blender to TRS2019?

Maybe if I know what I doing I might be inspired to start creating content again.
This is a great video for starters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTXgaNOETF0&ab_channel=TrainzContentCreation
Here's a thread also: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Export_from_Blender_using_FBX
Also check out the Content Creation forum section. There you can get lots of help.

I've been working on a fictional Midwestern shortline railroad for a couple of months now. I was honestly thinking I could have Part 1 complete by Christmas, but that's looking less and less likely by the hour. Trying to high-detail as much as I can is time consuming as hell, and so exhausting, and I don't want to release it half-finished. I'm from the UK, now living in Finland, never stepped foot in the US but I've been spending a lot of time on Google Earth and watching Youtube videos to give me inspiration. There are a few Youtube channels that film footage of shortline's in the midwest, Jaw Tooth and Scott Taipale are two of my favourites, and I've found they have been fundamental in giving me the push to create something, and introducing me to prototypical track layouts, especially on shortlines. I find just spending an hour or so watching GP15's and SW1500's pushing railcars around gives me so much more inspiration!

I'm not sure if you could do something similar? I'm in the same boat though, working on one baseboard with a town, throwing down grass, fences, buildings, parking lots etc. for weeks on end really takes it out of you.

Basically, I started out with a plan on paper and in my head. Jumped into Trainz and laid a load of track using Fixed Track assets to get the straights straight and the curves to a constant radius.

Use the "DDD Sign Marker" asset to throw down placeholders, it's re-nameable, so you can throw one down and type "town", "road crossing", "river bridge" etc, or you can find a blue texture to paint across the baseboard to show it'll be a river, and I use "AJS Traffic Invisible" to map out a few main roads and such before coming back through and replacing with Yarn roads. After you've done this, just keep on laying Fixed Track until you reach your desired terminus. I found this to be fundamental, as it meant I could get all my track down whilst the idea was still fresh in my head, but the placeholders just mean I don't go back through and say "I wonder what was supposed to go here??"

Then go back and start your detailing, using your placeholders for reference. Basic buildings, marking out forests, fields, laying the buildings around your industries (getting that out of the way first, for me, was a huge help).

Once all that is done, start the super high detailing stuff. Grass & shrubs, parking lot markings, parked cars, trees, garbage, fences, power lines etc.

I've found it's worked well for me making fictional routes. Really helps to break it down and not feel like you're biting off too much, you can get in the cab and test stuff works and envision how it may look before you go too far and get burnt out and throw it all away (guilty, too many times!).

Sorry if this wasn't very helpful :)

Jack

Hi
Just found your thread, haven not had time to visit the forum here for many months as I am deep into a project i started 8 years ago, and am now 2 years into with a small team and a board of advisors and helpers. it is not easy to do an accurate historic route. Ours is set in 1864 and so we have had to make all of the locomotives and rolling stock from scratch, plus some 500 structures, 230 figures, 55 ships, 220 items of machinery, clutter and scenery and many horsedrawn vehicles for which few plans or accurate photos exist. Your project sounds much more accessible and possible. My own philisophy is start building it and they will come and you will yourself get enough gratification and encouragement from your own efforts to keep going. I would NOT try to dabble in the new fangled techniques that are being touted or use the new version of Trainz. TANE is the best so far and does perfect and wonderful work if you use good textures and take your time. So your hopes are within reach. We all have times of challenge in our work, and need to take a breath. that is part of the ebb and flow. but nothing to despair over. if i recall some of what you have shared already it is very nice work. PM me if you want to talk more. but do not give up hope and do not i repeat waste your time with new methods that just complicate the chain of updating that is bedevilling the Trainz world right now, no version of Trainz should outdate previous ones...it shows lack of respect for the fine work done by countless great members of the community. Good luck with your efforts.

Chris Gerlach

Hi
Just found your thread, haven not had time to visit the forum here for many months as I am deep into a project i started 8 years ago, and am now 2 years into with a small team and a board of advisors and helpers. it is not easy to do an accurate historic route. Ours is set in 1864 and so we have had to make all of the locomotives and rolling stock from scratch, plus some 500 structures, 230 figures, 55 ships, 220 items of machinery, clutter and scenery and many horsedrawn vehicles for which few plans or accurate photos exist. Your project sounds much more accessible and possible. My own philisophy is start building it and they will come and you will yourself get enough gratification and encouragement from your own efforts to keep going. I would NOT try to dabble in the new fangled techniques that are being touted or use the new version of Trainz. TANE is the best so far and does perfect and wonderful work if you use good textures and take your time. So your hopes are within reach. We all have times of challenge in our work, and need to take a breath. that is part of the ebb and flow. but nothing to despair over. if i recall some of what you have shared already it is very nice work. PM me if you want to talk more. but do not give up hope and do not i repeat waste your time with new methods that just complicate the chain of updating that is bedevilling the Trainz world right now, no version of Trainz should outdate previous ones...it shows lack of respect for the fine work done by countless great members of the community. Good luck with your efforts.

Chris Gerlach

Thanks for posting Chris,
I can't even imaging creating a route set that far back in time. How did you even get a group of people willing to work in it would be my first question? The research time itself must of been very time consuming!

Since I started this thread, I thought of ways not to go the through the same creative problems I went through so many times before. I set a basic schedule for the route's progress that I'm sticking with and I have someone to help with the research with the reference I'll need to finish the modeling. I also had to learn when to put my "perfectionist" thoughts on the shelf for the sake of progress.
I started a thread here....
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?161413-Lackawanna-amp-Wyoming-Valley-Railroad
Hopefully I can find some other interested 3D model creators and contributors as progress continues on the project. Right now I'm only in the second phase of laying and grading the track. I got a long way to go.

I took an 11 year break from Trainz
in TRS2004sp2 i made very advanced content using texturesharing the DOS way and many .texture files
when TRS2006 was introduced all my stuff was suddenly unusable, Content manager gave errors all over the place
i got so frustrated i quit :).

in 2019 i returned and saw all the great stuff i made ages ago, the dutch community still uses my very old stuff
So i bought TRS2019 (euro version) to see how Trainz had developed.
Joined trainzonline and started again, updating old stuff and making new.

The key for me is feedback, so create or fix something and post about it
Few tips:
-work with others
-post and get feedback
-work on something, you are proud about or really interested in.
-learn new things about trainz, there is plenty info
-apply new things
-challenge yourself
-make a good to do list and, tick off

greetings GM (kuid99999)

Back