TRS19 on Steam vs Trainz Plus

jimbursch

I currently have TRS19 that I purchased through Steam, and I am thinking of moving up to Trainz Plus.

It looks like Trainz Plus is not available through Steam, so I think I will be buying it through this Auran site. I have a few questions before making the leap,

When I purchase Trainz Plus, will it be an entirely separate installation from my Steam TRS19?

Will my Steam TRS19 still be fully functional after installing Trainz Plus?

Will assets that I have downloaded or created in Steam TRS19 be accessible in Trainz Plus?

Will the installation of Trainz Plus overwrite anything in Steam TRS19?

Will the Trainz Plus database be entirely separate from the Steam TRS19?

Are there any specific backup procedures I should follow before installing Trainz Plus?

Is this going to be a easy seamless upgrade? Or are there some risks?

When I purchase Trainz Plus, will it be an entirely separate installation from my Steam TRS19?

Yes. I don't have Plus or use Steam but I have TRS19 (standard), TRS19 PE and TANE installed. All are separate installations and I can use any.

Will my Steam TRS19 still be fully functional after installing Trainz Plus?

Yes, as they are completely separate installations.

Will assets that I have downloaded or created in Steam TRS19 be accessible in Trainz Plus?

No, as they are separate installations, their assets are also completely separate.

Will the installation of Trainz Plus overwrite anything in Steam TRS19?

No, as per my answer above.

Will the Trainz Plus database be entirely separate from the Steam TRS19?

Yes, as per my answer above.

Are there any specific backup procedures I should follow before installing Trainz Plus?

As they are separate installs they should not interfere with each other. You can backup your user data folder as a normal backup procedure - see http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Manage_Backups#Backing_Up_All_Your_User_Content

Is this going to be a easy seamless upgrade? Or are there some risks?

As far as any upgrade of any software or OS can be considered seamless, there is always a risk. I have not seen any posts in these forums about problems using your particular install proposal. Backing up your user data before any Trainz update is always recommended.

My opinions only.

This knowledgebase article seems to suggest that I can update my TRS19 to Trainz Plus, without doing a separate installation. Am I interpreting this correclty?

https://support.trainzportal.com/in...iew/148/24/updating-to-trainz-plus-from-trs19

That is correct. Your TRS19 has the underlying code in there and gets switched on based upon your account authorization. I use another non-Trainz program that does the same thing. Pianoteq stage, has nothing but Pro has the most features with another version in between with some of the other features.

OK...

"[FONT=&quot]This is found in Trainz Settings > Install Tab > Check for Updates or Change Trainz Update"

[/FONT]
[FONT=segoe ui, helvetica neue, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Check for Updates or Change Trainz Update" does not exist for me; I suspect this is not an option because I am using the Steam platform, so all updates come through Steam.[/FONT]

[FONT=segoe ui, helvetica neue, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I'm back to a separate new installation for Trainz Plus, which sounds fine to me.[/FONT]

"Check for Updates or Change Trainz Update" does not exist for me; I suspect this is not an option because I am using the Steam platform, so all updates come through Steam..

I believe that is correct. The Steam versions of Trainz get all their updates via Steam and later than the N3V updates to non-Steam users.

Hi Jimbursch
Unfortunately due to the way that Steam works, game installed via Steam can only be updated through Steam's system. This does, unfortunately, mean that Steam cannot install the TrainzPlus updates.

As such you would need to install the TrainzPlus version separate to your Steam edition. However this does also mean that if you wanted to, you can have both on your computer without any issues.

Regards

Back