WHY-Open For Edit, Obsolete?

boleyd

Why do we see an Open For Edit, Obsolete. Why does this happen. What is the official process for the customer in this case? Many morning scans show new issues, why?

Also, this morning I have 594 Modified, Obsolete status items. Why? 581 Modified, Obsolete another why is this happening?
The last two are after a basic rebuild. Without a stable database this product in marginalized.

I should note that a complex route I am working on suffered no harm from this last wave of negative labels.
I have developed the habit os checking the database firat and trying to fix gross errors that were not there yesterday.
There are strategies but they are contrived by knowledgeable customers. A new customer faced with a large array of errors may abandon program. This is especially true if their route was severely impacted.

Since my route was not hit I will enjoy the rest of the day messing with a route and probably creating some of my own problems.

Last edited:
If you visit various trainz web pages and download and install the content offered, it is very normal to have afterwards in your content organizer:
- Obsolete content
- Obsolete content in open edition
- Modified content
- Modified content in open edition
- Content of the DLS in open edition

What to do?
Everything that is in open edition must be reverted to the original, if you do not want it to be changed or modified.
Obsolete content is useless and only occupies space on the hard disk, it must be eliminated, if it is obsolete built-in it cannot be eliminated.

It can also happen to get obsolete after a rebuild of the database or the installation of a game update.

More specifically, my issue is that I have a route working. There may be one or two issues related to database context but that is it. Then one morning I open the Content Manager and a a significant number of RED events of various descriptions. In the past, a few of those multiple new error displays also appeared as various issues in the route(s). Why is a route totally error free one day and the next day there are hundreds of RED elements in the database manger? The vast majority of the time a morning scan of the database all is well. Maybe a few errors, but certainly not hundreds.

Most "morning errors" are recoverable, but some cause a loss of data. Also, I would like to have an N3V recommended strategy for dealing with each type of error. I know that some customers share their solutions but I prefer to get that from N3v. A change by N3v can invalidate a customer solution. Whereas holding N3V responsible for the invalidation of the solution, is best.

Right now all is well, except for 579 "Modified, Obsolete" items. If I delete those will some might appear as ok tomorrow, but I was foolish and deleted them. The error are harmless so no action that might be regretted later.
The route (purchased from a 3rd party) is working. But what will the next morning bring?

Last edited:
Back