Portal derailing cats when consuming.

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
I have build 106618. I have noticed a problem where both the portal and basic portal derail vats when they consume a train. I have replaced the portal, replaced the consists, and did a data base repair.

I have a temporary work around for now. I run a section of track into a tunnel with a track mark when inside the tunnel and then do a “delete consist” command. It’s a little cumbersome but it does work.

anynideas on why the portals are derailing the trains. They emit them just fine/

Well this is a doggedly difficult problem to solve if the portals are being catty. ;)

Okay... Is the portal facing the right way? I did that a couple of times and drove myself nuts, although I didn't have to go too far to do that, as I checked around to see what was causing the portals to delay my entering trains.

Portal is facing right way. One can get confused on the portal basic but not on the full portal. When I look at what is happening in the portal, using the map view, the portal consumes the first half or so of the consist and then it looks like it gets jammed up and you can see the tail end of the consist getting derailed - lots of red x’s and jumbled up cars. I use the “remove derailed assets” rule in my routes and this does remove the jumble from the portal. But the next train to be consumed will not enter the portal.

Portal is facing right way. One can get confused on the portal basic but not on the full portal. When I look at what is happening in the portal, using the map view, the portal consumes the first half or so of the consist and then it looks like it gets jammed up and you can see the tail end of the consist getting derailed - lots of red x’s and jumbled up cars. I use the “remove derailed assets” rule in my routes and this does remove the jumble from the portal. But the next train to be consumed will not enter the portal.

I had that once and I don't remember what I did to repair the problem. You ran a DBR, but did you try an EDR? Hold CTRL while selecting the repair database.

It's a longshot, but really I don't remember what fixed that because this was an issue with TS12 or earlier.

I find that happening every once in a while on well-established routes and sessions.

It means it is time to close everything and shut down the computer, then re-start. A cold boot may be indicated.

"Windows gets tangled up in its own underwear," to quote an IT professional I once worked with. When that happens, rebooting is all you can do.

:B~)

I find that happening every once in a while on well-established routes and sessions.

It means it is time to close everything and shut down the computer, then re-start. A cold boot may be indicated.

"Windows gets tangled up in its own underwear," to quote an IT professional I once worked with. When that happens, rebooting is all you can do.

I've heard that once in my old IT days! We used to run NT 4 SP6a (scary) servers and the mantra was to reboot twice a month. Doing that little restart periodically kept the boxes running for 11 years, or until the company closed. On the other hand, an ancient Sun server had been left up and running for 526 days before needing a restart and that was because an upgrade came down and a restart was needed.

The reboot here, I'm not so sure, but it's worth a try.

I've heard that once in my old IT days! We used to run NT 4 SP6a (scary) servers and the mantra was to reboot twice a month. Doing that little restart periodically kept the boxes running for 11 years, or until the company closed. On the other hand, an ancient Sun server had been left up and running for 526 days before needing a restart and that was because an upgrade came down and a restart was needed.

The reboot here, I'm not so sure, but it's worth a try.

Hah. Yeah. So far the reboot has always worked for me. Let's hope it does for Paul.

Back