Why does Surveyor keep saving track spline points thousands of feet away?

janathan

I've noticed a lot of glitches with my routes that I've converted from T:ANE to Trainz 2019. In addition to Surveyor saving all track spline points at 0.0 meters, even if their height has been altered, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXVFtXYNxHA), now I have another similar issue when MOVING track.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUvEp3QJwKA)
This specifically happens on a replica I'm making of the Norfolk Southern Reading Line in the Allentown / Emmaus, PA area. Now I was moving some of the track in the Allentown area because my original method for measuring where to lay track was less than accurate and I was moving them to a more accurate location, spline point by spline point. I did this for a stretch of track between the Allentown Yard and the Klines Rd railroad crossing, a distance of 5.23 miles, then I saved the route. I re-opened the route the next day, to find it in shambles. Some of the tracks were missing their spline points because the game saved the tracks where I laid them, but saved the spline points at their original locations before I moved them. If I tried to move one spline point, it refreshes all the tracks, causing me to have to move every single track again. (Thank goodness I didn't delete the rulers!)

So my questions are:

Why won't Surveyor save the tracks AND spline points at THE SAME location?
Why does it only save the track locations, but leaves the spline points unchanged?
Why does editing tracks always take two attempts? (One to move the track, and another to move the spline points)
How can I prevent this in the future?

The usual is to first to s normal Database (Content) Rebuild. No luck? Do the extended while you watch a movie.

Last edited:
I don't know why everyone keeps recommending a database repair. It never fixes anything. All it does is waste my time. I've tried both a regular AND extended database repair back when the game saved all the track splines at 0.0 meters, despite them being elevated, and it did absolutely nothing. I highly doubt it'll fix the game saving the tracks where I laid them, but saving the spline points at their original location and this happens every time I move a track in this one route. It's likely not a database issue.

Is it just this particular route that's doing this? If it is, the route is hosed so I hope you have a backup. This explains why the DBR or EDBR didn't fix this particular problem.

The DBR does repair things and can actually make the performance faster due to reindexing the assets in the data tables and removing the white space in the data files as well. An EDBR goes one step further and verifies the integrity of your content. Should there be corrupted content, this will point it out. Your step then is to update, remove, or repair this content. During this phase, there's also the possibility of assets being falsely flagged. By viewing errors and warnings, which should be done anyway once the DBR or EDBR has completed, you'll find that many errors will be removed. The remaining assets will then have to be updated, repaired, or deleted whichever works to solve the problem.

It happens on two routes. This one and a Springfield, OH route (which I gave up on because I was tired of the glitches). I don't have a back-up. I ended up having to spend a whole morning moving all the track back where I meant for it to go. I've tried creating a new route and merging it with the existing one on both routes, but the glitches still won't go away.

Pays to keep daily, cdp backups of wip routes and its session/s. Even more than once daily when doing lots of work and it only takes a moment to do.
DBRs do help in fixing issues, but obviously not in your case.

Have you tried "Saved as" and changed the name slightly to make a "new" version? This can correct problems too.

The following may or may not work for you of course, or even be feasible especially if the area is very big, but it may beable to be done in "chunks".
A trick which I have done a couple of times a while back, is copy and paste an area of baseboards which were giving problems. For example, when using the topology tools on an area (approx three or four board) the ground would very, very slowly rise even when the "sensitivity" tool was turned far right for max speed. It felt like a brake was on. I tried a dbr, save-as but it did not correct my problem.

I put down one baseboard on the edge of my routes baseboards, then added a number of new baseboards off the furthest edge of this new single board. This was to make sure there was no overlapping onto my route when pasting later.
Using the "Tools" (F5) with the required boxes selected, (height, brush etc), copied the buggy area then pasted this onto the new baseboards, and tried to keep it at similar angles to the copied area.
Next, the "buggy" base boards were deleted and in this same area replaced with new baseboards.
Next, copied the area from the other baseboards and pasted back onto the new baseboards keeping the same/similar alignment. There was only a little bit of adjusting to get the track/hills etc joined and lined up , but it worked fixed my problem as well as saving heaps of time if I had to recreate the area. It did not take long to do, but I did reload the route a couple of times (do not save ) to get into the swing of how to do it. Once happy with the outcome, then saved and backed up.

There's one thing you can try that appears to solve a bunch of evils.

Run a delete missing assets. Believe it or not, this does fix weird things too. It must reset the tables in the route data or something because I've had it solve a weird problem where track-objects ended up not moving when I moved track.

Back