Trainz 2004 - 2006 Query

Franglen

I know it's going back but can any one remember the little program Tafweb created to choose which version you wanted to install your CDP's in?
I only have 2004 and 2006. My gaming computer decided to send the motherboard and graphics card to PC heaven. Henceforth a $&00 upgrade and I have to reinstall.
Kind Regards
Frank

Hi Dinorius,
I think I'm a bit on the redundicus side lately. I think it's called "cdpset". The original was called "TrainzHelper" I believe. I'll find out soon enough.
Trainz Objectz is a brilliant program. It scans the simulator and tells you exactly what assets you have and also gives you the option of repairing faulty ones very quickly. You can also Archive all of your assets for reinstallation if your machine crashes as mine did.
Thanks for trying to help.
Frank

Hi RailPilgrim,
No mate. It was definitely a Terry Franks program. I've never heard of the 'Protocol Changer'. Thanks all the same. I'm pretty sure I have it here amongst the 38 gigabytes of stuff I have stored. Just a matter of sorting through it.
Thanks mate
Frank

Frank,

Looking in my archives, I see 2 things that might be what you want (I can't tell if they were Terry Franks' utilities or not). They are both stored as setup.exe programs, so I'm not sure how to safely get them to you if you wanted them, but do either of these names ring any bells?

CDPset

CDPsave

Hi again Dinorius,
Yes they are both Terry Franks programs. I have them both in my archives as well thanks mate. Old Terry Franks (Tafweb) uploaded some pretty good stuff for 2004 and 2006.
I don't know if he is still alive. He was pretty crook for a while there. His website is gone now.
Thanks again.
Kind Regards
Frank

Thanks William. Will check the site out. I have found what I'm looking for. Now the long process of reinstalling everything.
Kind Regards
Frank

Thanks William. Will check the site out. I have found what I'm looking for. Now the long process of reinstalling everything.
Kind Regards
Frank

If you can lay your hands on a copy TS12 will run on the same hardware and give better performance with the same assets and the same viewing distances. TS2009, 2010 are the same but TS12 is the best performance wise.

Cheerio John

Thanks John,
I have been trying to get hold of a copy of TRAINZ12 here in OZ but it seems no one sells the older versions any more. I like the graphics in 12 from what I've seen on YouTube videos. TRZ9 & 10 seem to be a waste of time to me. Same old engines and rolling stock with frozen wheels. From what I've seen they are just 2004 & 2006 combined. Auran want to charge top dollar for the same old products and then rely on the 3rd party contributors to improve the assets and upload the to the DLS and then have the hide to make us pay to download the free content these people including you and myself (albeit a small way for myself) over the years have worked so hard to contribute. I don't hear of you guys getting paid royalties.
If I can get a copy of 12 apparently it's compatible with my 04 - 06 content and I can transfer my stuff over.
Sorry for the whinging but I lost faith in Auran years ago.
Kind regards John.
Frank

Amazon seems to sell the digital version of TS12 (at least the US domain does), so you might be able to look at that.
Else you might have to buy a 2nd hand version, which of course you won't be able to register the serial number since it'll be used already, but that will help to get a copy of TS12.

Cheers

The other thought would be use TANE which will run trs2004 /6 assets quite happily for the most part. There are some updates on the DLS.

a GT1030 which draws 30 watts will just about run TANE, a 1650 will draw 75 watts TDP https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php ideally you want a score of 10,000 but I've run it on Intel integrated graphics but I wouldn't really recommend the experience it is somewhat limited as to the assets you can run.

Cheerio John

Older version TRS 2004

It is a wonder that the old TRS 2004 would work on a new Windows 10 supported computer.
By memory the TRS 2004 was only a 4:3 format screen size product and did not have a Content Manager.

You can upgrade to Trainz Simulator 12 and the T:ANE product from Steam.

Added note:
Most of the TRS 2004 assets are online and can be downloaded into a newer version of Trainz from the DLS download station.

davies_mike57:)

Last edited:
It is a wonder that the old TRS 2004 would work on a new Windows 10 supported computer.
By memory the TRS 2004 was only a 4:3 format screen size product and did not have a Content Manager.

You can upgrade to Trainz Simulator 12 and the T:ANE product from Steam.

It does work. You need to run as administrator and you can set the resolution in the trainzoptions.txt file manually. if you want to use native resolution. The alternative is to run it windowed which I did using the option to do that in the trainzoptions.txt as well.

Installing content is done painfully through the package manager. It's awkward from what I remember when I did it a few years ago.

Yes guys. It does work. I installed it on Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit with no problems. I then installed TrainzObjesctz version 6.0 Build 544 by TafWeb. Then proceeded to copy over 3Gigabytes of Archives using TrainzObjects. It only took about 20 minutes maximum. The only problem I have is TO telling me that Paintshed is not initialised even though it appears to be installed and I have to create one piece of rolling stock and save it. Which I have done but keep getting the same warning. If I rmember correctly this was a fault with TO build 544. The item shows up on my layouts and so do all my other Paintshed Items.
I am running it at 1024 x 768 Resolution Bit Depth 32.
My machine is as follows:
ASRock 970 Etreme3 CPU Socket Motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU
Radeon RX570 Graphics Card
8Gig Dual-Channel DDR3 RAM
!TB Western Drive SATA SSD HDD
Windows Pro-64Bit System
REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO.
AND SHE FLIES GUYS!:D
I have no problems with FSX and FPS games like CRYSIS, FEAR, GHOST RECON ADVANCED WARFIGHTER (ALL OF), CALL OF DUTY ETC ETC. The machine has no problems.
I haven't turned into an axe murderer yet either. I play the Simulators and FPS games because I am a Chronic Pain sufferer. I had a Spinal crush injury years ago. The Neuro Surgeons, Government Chemists say it's a good thing because it takes my mind off the pain and I'm using less meds.
So there you have it.
Kind Regards
Frank

Yes guys. It does work. I installed it on Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit with no problems. I then installed TrainzObjesctz version 6.0 Build 544 by TafWeb. Then proceeded to copy over 3Gigabytes of Archives using TrainzObjects. It only took about 20 minutes maximum. The only problem I have is TO telling me that Paintshed is not initialised even though it appears to be installed and I have to create one piece of rolling stock and save it. Which I have done but keep getting the same warning. If I rmember correctly this was a fault with TO build 544. The item shows up on my layouts and so do all my other Paintshed Items.
I am running it at 1024 x 768 Resolution Bit Depth 32.
My machine is as follows:
ASRock 970 Etreme3 CPU Socket Motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU
Radeon RX570 Graphics Card
8Gig Dual-Channel DDR3 RAM
!TB Western Drive SATA SSD HDD
Windows Pro-64Bit System
REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO.
AND SHE FLIES GUYS!:D
I have no problems with FSX and FPS games like CRYSIS, FEAR, GHOST RECON ADVANCED WARFIGHTER (ALL OF), CALL OF DUTY ETC ETC. The machine has no problems.
I haven't turned into an axe murderer yet either. I play the Simulators and FPS games because I am a Chronic Pain sufferer. I had a Spinal crush injury years ago. The Neuro Surgeons, Government Chemists say it's a good thing because it takes my mind off the pain and I'm using less meds.
So there you have it.
Kind Regards
Frank

I'd consider running TANE or TS19. Currently you're only using one of your cores when running TRS2004/6 and the graphics processing is taking place on the CPU for the most part. ie your GPU is idle. TANE / TS19 are fairly good for compatibility with older assets and there are a lot more assets available at TS12 and above.

Cheerio John

If you still want TS12, the copy I used I got through Steam and the current price is $9.95 USD. It is often on sale for 50% off. The big advantage of going through Steam is that it installs the most recent version available in one go. The retail version requires 8 updates to get it up to date. Since I have several serial numbers for the retail version I tried installing it too but after three hours update #5 failed and would not roll back so I could try again. I gave up and uninstalled it.

William

Back