Restoring Backup Created Havoc

jeff1959

Due to a blown circuit breaker, I ended up with my route corrupted. :( So, I simply went and restored the route from yesterday. The funny thing is that things were really messed up. :eek: Every single crossing (road intersections or grade crossings) were disconnected. Each of the stations tracks were disconnected. A couple of bridges were disconnected as well.

Fortunately, it's only 25 baseboards. But there's 3 passenger stations, 3 bridges, a bunch of grade crossings and lots of intersections as well. After fixing the track issues, I checked out the session I was working on. That was a mess. So, I had to dump it and start over. At least there was a way to restore almost everything. Could have been worse. The computer wasn't happy about the sudden shut down, but did not throw a temper tantrum.

Did you run a DBR before using the backup? That would be essential rule number one after a failure like that.

Did you run a DBR before using the backup? That would be essential rule number one after a failure like that.

Yes I did. After moving the backup into the editing folder, I ran the DBR. At least the route was saved.

After further investigation, EVERY single crossing (grade or auto intersection) was missing their attachment points. I needed to delete the piece in question and reattach the roads and track.

Last edited:
Jeff,

I would run an EDR. Press CTRL while selecting the DBR from the menu.

There's a possibility too that other assets have been completely corrupted as well. You may want to download the crossing components again.

I highly, absolutely, more than highly, recommend and not suggest getting a UPS. I have a 2000 VA (2KW) load unit that cost me less than $200 at Staples. The batteries are replaceable and are about $45 with a return of the old ones.

A UPS will have the above-mentioned batteries inside along with fast-acting circuitry as well as large filters to take care of moments like this. You can either use a program and setup connected to your PC to initiate an orderly shutdown, or you can do it manually. I prefer the manual operation because it gives me a chance to shutdown programs first. My unit is good for about 20-25 minutes on battery operation. The UPS will also take care of momentary power spikes and power sages such as those awful brownouts and hits we experience during the summer months when air-conditioners are running and there's a bigger power draw.

Back