Unwanted PAYWARE Placed On My System.

boleyd

In the past 3 hours I have had 22 payware routes placed on my system. I was not even at the computer.
I do not want ANY of them. Now I have to waste my time getting rid of all of them.

===============================================
I hoped to just use the Date Installed in the Package folder to delete them.
BUT, there is no new entry. Latest is 10/11. I may have a permanent gift!
===============================================
Looking further, an option was changed on the menu from Installed to Owned.
Installed looks good. Owned is not correct. Never owned most. Some of that stuff I never opened.

So right now The impact on my system is none. Only the Menu is false.

Last edited:
If you have Plus, you get these routes as part of your package. You had to have installed them. If you don't want them, you can remove them using the Content Store. The alternative is to hide them because some of the assets are used in other routes and you know what happens then.

Conversely, we previously got many complaints about "I bought the game and all the extra content is missing - what a ripoff!"

If you select the items you will see it says "Download" rather than "View Sessions" for items not installed.

The advantage is that you now know that you have all that content that you CAN install if you want to. If you don't want them, just use the filter or search to find your own content, favorites etc.

Last edited:
The actual problem was that the Menu Option was changed to allow these items to appear. Putting it back to My Routes restored the display to only the routes I have. Traumatic.

I looks like the filter you set up does not save. Unless I am missing something, I have to set it up every time I start the game.

That is correct. Customer Menu Settings are not retained. Instead the old system of putting payware in front of the customer, in the hopes they will buy, is resurrected. It is blast type advertising where the first thing you see is an advertisement for the vendor's stuff. This was stopped for awhile but something caused the vendor to restore the practice.

Some customers like the presentation of products in this manner so it will probably stay.

That is correct. Customer Menu Settings are not retained. Instead the old system of putting payware in front of the customer, in the hopes they will buy, is resurrected. It is blast type advertising where the first thing you see is an advertisement for the vendor's stuff. This was stopped for awhile but something caused the vendor to restore the practice.

Some customers like the presentation of products in this manner so it will probably stay.

The word is CUSTOMER. Some like it and some do not, so there should be an option available.

N3V had annoyed lot of customers by heaps of payware items, which were never created as payware by their authors, and which were turned to payware by N3V themselves. Probably because of some kind of rather dirty way of market research? It made lot of customers helpless and/or angry, those items were blocked for editing, deleting or any other standard operations. N3V bothered big part of community by that. And they are just keeping this style further...

This old argument crops up every now and again.

Firstly, at the risk of preaching to the "wrong crowd", I will make the statement that I have no problems with N3V advertising/marketing/pushing (choose one) their products onto their customers. If that is what they need to do to survive then I am all in favour. The presence of the payware items - which consists of 3 suggested routes I "may like" crammed into the small space below the description of the currently selected installed route and to the left of its "thumbnail" is easily ignored and has, so far at least, not tempted me to buy.

Compare this to the "sea of green" payware product names that appears in the TANE route selection screen.

But N3V are not the only ones to do this, in various formats.

Everytime I turn on my laptop the DELL logo appears. WD (Western Digital) has its logo on one of the external HDDs I use. Those are items I have paid for and own outright but are still carrying logos/advertising. Likewise every car I see is branded with the manufacturers name, badge and model.

And before anyone complains that they own the software and that N3V have no right to plant their advertising on it, you should be reminded that you do not own Trainz, you have paid for a license to use it. TRS19, TANE, etc remains the property of N3V and they can put anything they like on it.

Retiring to my bunker.

N3V had annoyed lot of customers by heaps of payware items, which were never created as payware by their authors, and which were turned to payware by N3V themselves. Probably because of some kind of rather dirty way of market research? It made lot of customers helpless and/or angry, those items were blocked for editing, deleting or any other standard operations. N3V bothered big part of community by that. And they are just keeping this style further...

The old DLC system's packaging method marked 'payware' content based on if the content was on the DLS. If the asset was on the DLS, it was considered freeware, and hence was marked as 'builtin'. If the asset was not on the DLS, then it marked it as 'payware'. There was no way for the system to know that a non DLS asset was freeware or payware. There wasn't much at the time that could be done here, as there was no simple way at that time (well, not without having an absolutely complete list of every non DLS asset ever made) to differentiate freeware and payware assets.

There were a few cases where DLS assets were incorrectly marked as 'payware' (generally due to an updated version that wasn't on the DLS being included, but IIRC with a couple of DLC packs this was a bug in the packaging system), however these issues were resolved (although it's possible that there are some DLC packs that were not re-packaged after this).

The good news is that the new TCCP system should resolve this issue. It now allows the author to specify which assets will be 'payware', anything not specified this way will be marked as 'builtin'. This should prevent any non DLS freeware assets being marked as payware (they will still be compressed as 'builtin', but can be overwritten with the cdp version of the asset). However it will take time for DLC packs to be updated for this, and existing DLC packs may still sometimes show errors unless re-submitted using the new TCCP system.

Regards

Back