Thread: Trains randomly derailing

Blog Entries

Default Trains randomly derailing

So I’ve noticed this happening on and off and it’s driving me nuts. Trains will randomly derail on track for no entire reason, even if the curves aren’t too tight, the track is connected, the switches are properly set, and or if there are no switches at all. I’ll have the train moving for like 2 seconds then suddenly, all or part of the train derails for no entire reason. This happens even when the derailment mode is set to “none.” I typically experience this with freight trains more often than passenger trains.
    -Jack

A real locomotive engineer for a full size 3' gauge diesel hydraulic steam outline, and the grandson of a PRR engineer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slsffrisco1630irm View Post
    Trains will randomly derail on track for no entire reason, even if the curves aren’t too tight,
    Well obviously there has to be a reason.

the track is connected,
    That can be deceptive. Track can "look" like it is connected but in reality it may not be. Pay particular attention to the colours present in the track splines. Solid yellow or solid white means connected. Alternating yellow and white means not correctly connected - for example there may be a height difference between the two track spline ends. If you see red or alternating red and white then that is a procedural track connection problem which, in my experiences, does not cause derailments.
    Last edited by pware; October 18th, 2020 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo
    TRS19 Platinum Edition SP2 (beta) 109037 - TRS19 SP1 (standard) 105096

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

Delete the section of track where the derail occurs and lay it again. Maybe a hidden consist on it?
    I7-8700K
    1070Ti
    Z370
    PCIe SSD operation ( build)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    Delete the section of track where the derail occurs and lay it again. Maybe a hidden consist on it?
    I know there are “invisible trains” at crossings, so maybe that has something to do with it?

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I know there are “invisible trains” at crossings, so maybe that has something to do with it?
    That has nothing to do with it if you are using ATLS crossings.

What's being mentioned here has to do with something else where somehow trains get hidden and are derailed. You can't remove them, you can't unhide them or couple to them. The only way to remove these hidden trains, is run Delete Missing assets. In T:ANE, this is found under the main menu while in the Session editor to remove them from the session and try again.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

United States of America, New York, Allegany
    Blog Entries

I've had this happen. went to the section of track and tried to delete that section by the normal means of deleting any track. The problem was that the track wouldn't delete and I made sure there was no rolling stock around to prevent the track from deleting. Using the copy and paste feature, in utilities menu, I copied a square of the map with nothing on it as pasted it over the stubborn track. That worked. I still don't know what the cause was, but deleting that section of track and replacing it worked.
    Only other time I've had this happen was when there were two short segments of track that got mistakenly place over each other.
    As far as trains randomly derailing .....I've had it happen but never knew the cause, just how to fix it.
    T:ANE Standard SP2 to SP3
    TRS 2012 build 61388