Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programs for automatization routes building

I don't oppose any of this (not to saying the last post says otherwise to myself). The OP can say that they're not talking about OSM. I can assure right now that even the best DEM out there 9 times out of 10 will need adjustments. In fact I recall the author of TransDem who is a programmer much more qualified than myself mentioned OSM as overkill in a tutorial on allowing all kinds of vectors to be placed by TransDem and other programs. In other words it can already be done to a certain extent.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but realistic when it comes to what is possible. OSM is the closest thing out there that will pick up vectors used to place objects. This is why people are mentioning it and I conquer. An images color can be anything from say a soccer ball to a sprinkler (insert whatever else). I use level 19 Bing images (20 is only available in bigger city centers) and I can barely see the tracks, let alone bridge piers and bridge details. Most of the assets we have never match a project and they often need to fit (how would a program choose this?). I walked .5 miles of track today to get an up close look at a creek bridge for example and found what kind of bridge it was, what kind of piers, and it's height which the 10M DEM didn't register. Even then I couldn't find the perfect bridge, or piers. I eyeballed it at about 15 feet high from ground to track with about 12 feet of clearance underneath.

I'm afraid this is a pipe dream. Do I think in about 10 years will we have the kind of data necessary to produce automatically absolutely. From a flight simulator standpoint it's much more plausible because if your flying you won't see all these details.

Now if there is a programmer willing to take on such a challenge more power to everyone. I believe in options and nobody is going to force anyone into this automation (anyone thinking that are worrying too much). I think the examples of people saying they would hate to see it on their developments is if they used it not if they were forced to use it.

Again if it can be done, great. But for me personally I'm about data and facts. If this is about automatically building a route, what kind of data would need to be built up (and with what program?) that would be simpler than the route editor and it's own imperfections.

Thanks

Sean
    Last edited by Seane2c; October 17th, 2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: example today

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I too can see this be an optional thing for those that want, let's say, a randomly generated route based on region. The tool could set the number of baseboards, aka size, hill height, number of cities, towns, and industries. This isn't much different than those tools found in Transport Fever 2 and Transport Tycoon among other programs of similar ilk.

Random city generators I can see useful for background cities, but not for those that are up close to the tracks. There are some such tools available for the architectural and city planning industry. This plug-in integrates with Arc-GIS and other programs to generate buildings base on specific parameters and even maps. While they look really nice from a distance, the output is pretty poor with building that look the same no matter where in the world the city takes place.

Using displacement maps, we can already generate terrain, albeit, in a more laborious process. There are various websites and programs that will generate fractal landscapes. The output is a grayscale image that is then used as a displacement map. These are used for various programs and games such as Cities Skylines, Sim City 4, and other building-type games.

Track while convenient maybe a tricky one to implement. The user may have to connect the cities on the map prior to generating the terrain, or perhaps afterwards, before the output is finalized.

For those of us that like to manually create our world, the one thing that I think would be most helpful. A yard generator. Yes, something that would create our goods yards easily. Creating a yard is the most difficult thing I think and very frustrating too We have numerous templates, some old fixed-track assets that no longer work, and other things that assist us in creating a yard, but in the end our track is crooked and messy. Having a tool to create the these using set parameters, would be most helpful.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Too much to ask N3V. Problem is the documentation for the native formats are not available.
    Trainz 2019 Big Sur
    2014 Mac Mini 8gb ram, Intel 1536MB
    2014 Air 8gb memory, Intel 1536MB
    T Driver 2 iPhone SE2 iOS14: iphone

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by capdiamont View Post
    Too much to ask N3V. Problem is the documentation for the native formats are not available.
    You mean lack of.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    You mean lack of.

I suspect an element of copyright / IP is involved or as the board format was changed to accommodate PBR ground textures, it's possibly not finalised yet.

Personally if it ain't broke, comes to mind. ;o)
    Malc

I'm fairly new still but I find the yards are relatively simple just boring and a tiny bit time consuming. Using OSM does work well to speed this up, but honestly I can do a yard in about a few hours. Where I find just getting a mile of track the way I want it with elevations is much more time consuming. Perhaps I'm missing out on a detail. i just use the insert diamonds trick and eye in the connecting tracks. Mind you this is for a typical later. Not curved yards or other complex variations that would indeed take more time. For my area I'm fortunate.

Thanks

Sean