Looooong delay when moving layers - why?

pware

Trainz Veteran
In TANE and TRS19 SP1 when you moved a layer by dragging it up or down to a new level in the layer tool, the swap was instantaneous. In TRS19 PE SP2 each layer move is immediately followed by watching a progress bar crawl its way across the screen at a glacial pace. The slow pace may be a product of a large number of layers (more than can fit into the display area) or the large layout size (151Mb according to CM) or both. But the same route when used in TRS19 PE SP1 never produced such delays when moving layers.

My question is - what is TRS19 SP2 doing that requires such an excruciatingly slow process that TRS19 SP1 was not doing? I did not think that the order of the layers made any difference, apart from not having the layer containing track objects (levers, signals, etc) higher up the order list than the layer containing the track.

If you are moving layers regularly because they will not all fit in the display area, then this is quite frustrating.

Reasonably large route. Has 7,500 baseboards and nearly 700MB in file size. 14 different layers are used plus session layer.

When you move a layer, do you get a progress bar and info display that shows messages such as ...

"Layer lock taken, beginning validation pass" which takes about half the time, then

"Validation step complete, beginning move", finally followed by

"Operation complete, layers updated successfully".

I have run a few test with a completely bare single baseboard and several empty route layers (L1, L2, L3) and these message appear when moving the empty layers but the process completes in a second or two.

I then used the Add Random Scenery tool to populate one layer with hundreds of bushes and there is a slightly longer delay (my perception) but the process is still quite fast.

In my current route I timed the process of moving a single layer up or down the list - just under 2.5 minutes.

I move layers that I am working in so that I do not have to keep scrolling the layer list up and down.

I don't generally move layers around but I tested this feature as you laid out above.....and get pretty much the same results. I can move around quite freely while layer move is in progress but can not edit as a lock is placed on that ability. I don't see any degradation in video response while this is going on.

Thank you for that info. I must assume that TRS19 SP2 beta is doing something different to TRS19 SP1 when it comes to layer management.

For now I will simply have to place my active work layers at the top of the list, go through the "process" delay and then work with that arrangement from that point on. Hopefully I will need fewer layer moves now that my project is nearing completion (after 14+ years).

Back