What are the different "roles" that players play in Trainz?

jimbursch

For me, part of the fun and brilliance of Trainz is the different roles I can play in this game. Here is my initial list:

Driver
Dispatcher
Session Designer/Builder
Route Designer/Builder
Asset Designer

What are the all the different roles that can be played?

You can also be a passenger which can be relaxing with the AI. Conductor can also be done although that is part of driving. Trainmaster is interesting because you're deciding what trains are coming up and the overall plan for the railroad. Yardmaster on a more local level decides how things will be split up and building and breaking down of trains.

I also am a route builder. I'm hoping to one day be an asset designer as well as a script/utility programmer. The programming side I have experience, the asset design not so much (but I'll give it a shot one day).

As much as I have enjoyed activity editor for MSTS about a decade ago, I have no interest in building sessions. I much rather go into a sandbox environment and set my own operation routines and keep advancing time and jobs as the operation progresses.

Thanks

Sean

Thanks

Sean

... I have no interest in building sessions. I much rather go into a sandbox environment and set my own operation routines and keep advancing time and jobs as the operation progresses.
But isn't that how sessions are built? Start with one train going from A to B and then add another to interact with it?

Trevor

The only sessions I build (ones that have an actual activity to run) is those with a few rules I want activated and that is it. The rest I go into edit trains and create or bring in as my RTS system generates. Now of course that system is simply a spreadsheet right now and hasn't been developed. Once I have the destinations and loads assigned to cars I operate. When I'm done for the day I save the game. So in that case having a save game is creating something I suppose, but it's not a session that you would create or distribute on the DLS for example with working AI and other things.

I think I said something up above about a system developer, but if I didn't that's another thing I like to do in Trainz (and have done in other sims in the past).

Thanks

Sean

Tester and route builder. I started my first route in December 2003 and parts of that route still exist in various forms with some renovations in the route's current iteration.

So, here's a summary:

Driver

Dispatcher
Session Designer/Builder
Route Designer/Builder
Asset Designer
Beta tester
Passenger
Conductor
Trainmaster
Yardmaster
Programmer script/utility

Any others?

So, here's a summary:

Driver

Dispatcher
Session Designer/Builder
Route Designer/Builder
Asset Designer
Beta tester
Passenger
Conductor
Trainmaster
Yardmaster
Programmer script/utility

Any others?

asset designer is content creation I assume?

Researching for the assets can be time consuming and you've missed out rivet counters. There are a number of people who spends hours counting them and letting the content creators know they've used the wrong sort of rivets.

Cheerio John

One not yet mentioned is fixing broken stuff! ;)

Other than that:
Pro-typical Route building and a lot of research.
Content Creation mostly stuff I need to be accurate that dosen't exist anywhere which seems to be a lot, I'm probably too fussy!
Beta Testing versions.
Driving when I have a route building block.
Sessions, mine are more for testing my WIP route.

Solution - ignore the rivet counters, pay attention to those that value your work even if it's not perfect (but a great place holder) for something they can create some day when they want.

I appreciate all content creators for sharing their passions. The DLS is what makes Trainz what it is in my opinion.

Thanks

Sean

Back