Help for session saves

lenscab

I would like an explanation of the session list please. I choose a route and then view sessions and see a row of them at the bottom of the screen. which one do I choose. The first one says default and if I remove that one they have all gone. Can you tell me what the procedure is with dealing with all these please?.
Len

My first piece of advice is that whenever you save a Surveyor route and/or a Surveyor session, always give it/them distinctive and descriptive names. Each saved session will have its own kuid value so you can easily end up with several saved sessions all named "Default".

This advice applies to saved Driver games as well. I suspect (without knowing for certain) that the "sessions" that all disappeared when you deleted the "Default" session may have been saved Driver games based on that Surveyor session, so when you deleted the session, all its saved games went as well. My theory at least.

Driver games will have a date and time stamp added to their name which makes it easier to identify them.

Open route and session, do any work on your route or session. Do a save before you go to driver and this saves to route and session. If you save and only a session save with a date and time shows cancel the save and move an object and then save. Don't save from within driver unless you want to save the game session at that point in time.

Thanks for that info.So when I open a session should it be the last on the right or the default on the left and when I save to cdp in cm does dit save the session with it?.
Len

When you use CM to save a session to a .cdp, only that session will be in the .cdp. When you use CM to save a route to a .cdp, only that route will be in the .cdp. None of the scenery assets, rolling stock, etc that are included in the route and session will be saved in the .cdp, only references (their locations, set properties) to those assets will be saved.

I am somewhat concerned that when you open up the "view session" load screen for a route you are working on, you are facing a list of different "versions" of the one session to choose from. The only time this should happen is when you have deliberately created a series of different sessions based on the same route - for example, a "night train" session, a "local stopping freight" session, a "day passenger run" session - where each is very different with a different focus and different consists.

When you save a session in Surveyor, are you using the "Overwrite" option or the "Create new" option? Overwrite will replace the previous version of the session with the newly edited version and you will not get a list of sessions to select from when you reload. Create new will create a completely new copy of the same session and result in a confusing list of sessions as I have described above.

Thankyou for telling me that, someone sent me a cdp file of a route and when I opened it ,, it had the session incorporated , can you tell me how that was done in one file please. and I have some unknown assets that I want to delete but cannot delete them.
Len

Yeah, I wish they would come up with a way to do this that's not so confusing, because it that way for me too, I have done the same thing too, not fun.

Yes, when it comes to saving, the distinction between a route and a session that is based on that route can be a source of much confusion - second only to route layers and session layers. The arrival of the Universal Driver Surveyor interface where you can exit Driver straight into Surveyor, edit, save, and then jump back into Driver where you left off has muddied the waters even further. Don't get me wrong, the UDS is a great feature and one that I am now frequently using, but it does have a trap that I have sometimes fallen into.

You are merrily moving along a route in Driver mode when you notice a problem, such as a tree that has somehow planted itself in the middle of the track. You use the UDS to jump into Surveyor mode to fix the problem and then you save before continuing in Driver mode. It took me a little while to realise that when I save it should be the route only and not the session. If you save the session then the consist will be saved in its current position, not where it started at the beginning of the session. So when you restart the session the consist is not in its correct starting position but is somewhere down the track.

Yes, when it comes to saving, the distinction between a route and a session that is based on that route can be a source of much confusion - second only to route layers and session layers. The arrival of the Universal Driver Surveyor interface where you can exit Driver straight into Surveyor, edit, save, and then jump back into Driver where you left off has muddied the waters even further. Don't get me wrong, the UDS is a great feature and one that I am now frequently using, but it does have a trap that I have sometimes fallen into.

You are merrily moving along a route in Driver mode when you notice a problem, such as a tree that has somehow planted itself in the middle of the track. You use the UDS to jump into Surveyor mode to fix the problem and then you save before continuing in Driver mode. It took me a little while to realise that when I save it should be the route only and not the session. If you save the session then the consist will be saved in its current position, not where it started at the beginning of the session. So when you restart the session the consist is not in its correct starting position but is somewhere down the track.

Yup been there and done that more than once myself when not focusing on what I was doing.

To keep track of the sessions, I put the route-name in them plus the session name. This ensures I can back both up together and upgrade both together by updating the session map-Kuid in the config.txt to match the new one in the upversioned route. I wish there was an easier way to do this besides open heart surgery.

Back