Not Another Broad Gauge Layout.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
I really don't know how this came about or where it's even going yet. I was looking at an old CJ Freezer trackplan for Ashburton and somehow I ended up doing this. I don't think it is Ashburton anymore, but I haven't figured out a suitable name yet.

jkzY0LM.jpg

DrZhnX1.jpg

I have my special Broad Gauge 'Sharpie' track testing engine and a train of 6 wheelers all ready to go though for when things get a little more advanced.

l3aSD63.jpg

Trying out wallpaper for a room

Just trying out some ideas with the possibility of using wallpaper on the walls of the layout room at the moment. Both of these will eventually end up on the DLS. The texture for the floral striped wallpaper was fairly easy to do, but the green Victorian one was tricky to get right.

q8zTC5S.jpg

mt2EPcQ.jpg

I like the idea of wallpapers - the concrete block wall that Ive always used is - well - frankly a rather stark garage setting but I've found it really easy to use - thanks, itareus! I've tried making something more homelike - I decided years ago that I preferred to do my modelling indoors, in the warm - but ran into some colour problems which fortunately seem now to have been resolved.

The new layout looks promising, even if it's not Ashburton! In fact, Cyril thought Ashburton had some severe limitations as a prototype for a model, and published Chagford, also using just six points but rearranging the tracks slightly. I used that as the track plan for one of my virtual layouts - I must check to see which one it was as I can't remember! As usual, it was probably not published or even completed - but it was fun at the time.

Ray

It was Appleton, an S-shaped layout with three stations in TS10, and never finished. Perhaps I should update and finish it. My "maltings" were the main feature.

Later I see I've started one in T:ANE using the same tarck plan - Glavenford (pronounced Glan'f'd, of course) - that would be easier to finis rather than correcting all the problems with importing.

Last edited:
The station trackplan is still something like CJF's Ashburton plan Ray, but expanded to give a little more space as well as opening out the radius on curves. And it's not a terminus anymore since it will be a through station once I've devised how the rest of the trackwork will go.
Still very much a work in progress and when it's done it will take up two layout boards. Hopefully once it's done it will be a Broad Gauge layout with a completely different character to 'Lynborough'.

qKCOK7r.jpg

After staring at the new wallpapers for a while I've decided I'll go ahead and make two sets of walls using the same meshes as I used for my planked wall set. If I can find other Victorian wallpapers that won't be too horrible to make textures from I may make some more.

Yes, I can see it would work well as a typical British rural through station. Aldeburgh in Suffolk was very similar to Ashburton complete with overall roof or train shed. I've been looking at Stoke Ferry, Norfolk, which was designed as a through station but never progressed beyond being a terminus. Both stations I've mentioned are long gone!

More wallpapered walls would be very welcome.

Ray

Back