Alienware Desktop

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
Alienware is now selling their New Aurora R11 desktop with the NVidia GeForce 3090 and Intel Core i9-10900F Processor with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB storage.

The price seems reasonable for the specs. Delivery times are 2 to 3 weeks out. Apparently Dell has made their own version of the 3080/3090 graphics cards for their Alienware brand.

Has anyone had experience with the Alienware desktop? I have on of their laptops with a Nvidia 1080 graphics card and it performs well with Trainz.

I would think this configuration would be an improvement over my present system using a GeForce 1080TI graphics card and an Intel i7-5930K processor.

Alienware is now selling their New Aurora R11 desktop with the NVidia GeForce 3090 and Intel Core i9-10900F Processor with 32 GB RAM and 2 TB storage.

The price seems reasonable for the specs. Delivery times are 2 to 3 weeks out. Apparently Dell has made their own version of the 3080/3090 graphics cards for their Alienware brand.

Has anyone had experience with the Alienware desktop? I have on of their laptops with a Nvidia 1080 graphics card and it performs well with Trainz.

I would think this configuration would be an improvement over my present system using a GeForce 1080TI graphics card and an Intel i7-5930K processor.

This would definitely be an improvement over the system you have now. Your laptop has almost the same specs as my desktop. I have a 5960 instead of the 5930 also with a GTX1080TI.

I also have an older (sic) Alienware laptop with a GTX980 SLI configuration. It works well and runs TRS2019 okay for what it is.

As far as owning one of their desktops, I never have, but based on what others have said the machines are quite nice. If I remember correctly, Ben Dorsey (rip) had one of their high-end machines at that time and loved it.

I reported the post above as spam, and waited all day for them to pull it, but it looks like they are asleep at the switch. So I will get a PM about responding to spam, so be it.
I wanted to say that I have an Aurora I7 with a 1080 graphics card, and it appears to do very well for the most part. I WOULD be VERY careful of DELL's versions of graphics cards. Years ago, The 6800 was a good graphics card, and I bought a Dell with a "special" 6800GT graphics card. Gotta be great, right? NO! After I bought it I found out that the 6800 cards had banks of shaders in 4-port groups, to make16 total. but if they had one bad shader, they would have to disable that group of four, so the result was a 6800 with only 12 shaders instead of 16. Guess what? Those were the ones Dell bought and labeled as the "GT". CRIPPLEWARE! I swore I would never again buy a "DELL" graphics card. BUYER BEWARE! I would LOVE to have a 3080/3090 card, but DON'T BUY DELL'S WITHOUT RESEARCHING! Done shouting.... :eek:

I was going to add a couple of things to the post above. Trainz may need a great GPU, but the database for it is a real CPU burner, so I think the I9 would be a great idea. Anytime 2019 does anything with the database I can hear the fan on my I7 kick into high gear. Also, mine has a big "Optane" cache, which is really not so much more than an SSD I think, but it has a faster pipeline t the processing and is just used as a cache. So, it has to load up at the start, but then when you are playing Trainz I think it is a great thing to have as it can cache a lot. I could have opted for a standard SSD, but since my TS2019 alone ended up at a terabyte I think I would have run out of room on it in short order. I have since downsized my TS2019. Anyway, lots of options to consider.

Back