TRS2019 Driver interface, 9/10 for Pretty. 4/10 for Functional improvement.

K3JohnHO

New Driver route display is nice as is the white on transparent background styling.

The black background pop-up for ‘Driver’ monitoring clashes nicely with the style of the ‘Driver’ interface. Reminds me of the saying, ‘The camel is a race-horse designed by a committee’.

Why would any ‘AI’ layout controller want the ability to see 7 Driver Locations plus Status in a discrete, click through sidebar in a single glance?

Much better to have a big black display covering ~10% of the screen instead. Cutting the display from 7 to 4 drivers and duplicating the driver RClick+CTRL Menu is a further improvement.

Using the CTRL 1-7 and next/back keys is great instead of leaving the new pop-up on screen. Trying to remember which driver is under which key is great for keeping your memory sharp, particularly if Drivers change position as they come and go through Portals. Having to use more key & mouse actions to perform the lost functionality should improve any ‘Repetitive Strain Injury’ (RSI) no end.

Gamers do not need good ergonomic design! People do not spend hours at a stretch on Trainz as they would on business applications.

All in all, a near perfect example of ‘Change’ for change sake. A clash of styles, reduced functionality, a space stealing pop-up addition, and poorer ergonomic design.

P.S. The loss of the ‘Display Customer HUD’ is also great. Who needs to be able to display custom information like accurate session runtime for debugging or displaying variables used for setting signals and switching junctions etc...

Great feedback. (The full Driver list implementation we designed had to be shelved in order to hit our release date and this was the "workaround" version which still has a number of open tasks on the "To Do" list.

Join in our beta group and make a difference next time round.

Btw, Custom HUD is still available to show variables and you can write you own HUDs as well using Trainzscript.

Antithesis!
I give the OP high marks for creativity. It took my reading through several of the points to realize the antithesis!

I play with Trainz for hours every night after work and more on the weekends. I love my Trainz.

RJ Artim

Last edited:
Thanks to all who read and/or commented.

Yes, it was meant to be Tongue-in-Cheek.

As for 'Display Customer HUD' being available, this is what you get when you attempt to edit it.

"Note: The Custom HUD is obsolete in this version of Trainz and will not normally be displayed"

Of course the ever helpful 'no description provided' in near all AURAN content in download Manager including 'Display Customer HUD' advises this change for TRS2019. NOT until you download and attempt to edit it.

Last edited:
I've found the mc Display Custom Hud show when you start a session, however if you go to Surveyor when you come back to driver it has disappeared. Same goes for Trackview rule.

Back