Yarn, Yarnish, ATLS traffic systems

Seane2c

Hi Guys:

So first a bit about my current setup. I'm running TRS2019 as my profile currently shows (who knows when this post gets real old). This is why I posted in the 2019 section (mods feel free to move it if I should place it elsewhere) because I'm not sure if all the traffic systems still work with 2019 or if I'm mixing things up.

I'm usually a trial and error kind of developer. Yes I will read manuals and especially Youtube tutorials. But I couldn't find anything recent or in audio that helped. I've downloaded several Yarn roads but I know I have some Yarnish as well. I believe I have both regular US roads, a few European style (white line in middle) that I don't use, and invisible roads. I'm going to look today as I think I need some kind of controller. In editor it looks like they don't work but in the world at least they pass through the intersection. I'm not sure if you can get some to turn (of if they need turning lanes). I'm yet to see any stop signs obeyed, or traffic lights for that matter. None of the traffic lights I've seen change.

I'm thinking that I'm probably missing a controller or something. If you have any suggestions or opinions as to what is the best or what works for you I'm more than happy to hear any suggestions or ideas.

Thanks

Sean

YARN and YARNish are a similar "thick" road system. The YARN is the original system while YARNish are YARN-like, but with more options such as faster speeds on some roads, directional roads, highways, different bridges tunnels, sunken roads, and related intersections.

Both road-types have matching intersections. There are some issues with these intersections starting with T:ANE where they are missing a spline point on one leg, or the invisible roads don't quite line up like they should so that the roads twist when they are attached to the intersections. There are some that are fixed, but I can't remember the assets off hand.

ATLS isn't difficult to setup. There are a bunch of components, and your best bet is to download them all. Mike (Boat) has created some nice instructions built right into the assets as well as links to an informative website. With its plethora of components, the system looks complex, but it really isn't once you get the gist of how things go together.

So is ATLS the controller that YARN YARNish needs or is that a different beast entirely? I'm going to check the ATLS assets I do have and look for others and start looking for Mike's instructions.

Thanks for the assistance.

Sean

The ATLS pieces are pretty flexible and can be used for a lot of things. I use the traffic stoppers for RR crossings and for setting up road intersections with working stop lights. Pretty slick - if your into the whole realism thing. ;)

So is ATLS the controller that YARN YARNish needs or is that a different beast entirely? I'm going to check the ATLS assets I do have and look for others and start looking for Mike's instructions.

Thanks for the assistance.

Sean

Two different animals. ATLS is for grade crossings at any angle or shape. The YARN (-ish too) is the roads. Also look at the simpler TRC crossing components; they do a similar thing as ATLS with fewer components.

So I'm a little confused then. I actually do use TRC for crossings and find them very good. I'm just confused why you mentioned ATLS. I'm looking to have the signal lights or stop signs work at intersections in Yarn/Yarnish. I may actually try ATLS for crossings if they can be used for grade crossings at any angle however...

Thanks

Sean

Actually disregard I knew ATLS sounded familiar. I watched a YouTube video in the past on it when I did a search for Trainz ATLS on YouTube by Approach Medium. I'll go through it again. I take it TRC can only be used for grade crossing though.

Last edited:
I guess I never knew what ATLS stood for until now:) It wasn't Approach Medium as he did the crossing tutorial. It was another text tutorial that I had a hard time following on YouTube (totally forgot I just watched it the other night).

Anyways I'm at the source now you recommended. Thanks for the help, I'm going to start learning this one. Looks pretty cool.

Thanks

Sean

So I picked up the latest ATLS and have gone through the tutorials last night. I take it the Yarn intersections I have are not going to work with ATLS? Before I go too crazy with ATLS is there a YARN controller for those lights (or are they just static?). If they are static I'll likely just not use them.

I've seen some examples on YouTube for stop signs as well and lets say they look to be quite complicated. You have 1 route that isn't connected and the other has a small stop and go cycle. I may play around with triggers but I think they only work trams and not the cars on the roads. I guess the tutorial is a bit dated in ATLS versus the most up to date system I could find.

Back on the Yarn as I do like some of the benefits of this pertaining to different speed routes, passing, and a few other things. I have a funny feeling I'm going to have a hard time using Yarn in some areas then switching over to ATLS in another. Say for example I have cars on Yarn highway that go at a nice clip coming into town to a signal light in ATLS. If the Yarn intersection doesn't work I'm not sure if I can switch over.

Anyways still digging.

Thanks

Sean

So I picked up the latest ATLS and have gone through the tutorials last night. I take it the Yarn intersections I have are not going to work with ATLS? Before I go too crazy with ATLS is there a YARN controller for those lights (or are they just static?). If they are static I'll likely just not use them.

I've seen some examples on YouTube for stop signs as well and lets say they look to be quite complicated. You have 1 route that isn't connected and the other has a small stop and go cycle. I may play around with triggers but I think they only work trams and not the cars on the roads. I guess the tutorial is a bit dated in ATLS versus the most up to date system I could find.

Back on the Yarn as I do like some of the benefits of this pertaining to different speed routes, passing, and a few other things. I have a funny feeling I'm going to have a hard time using Yarn in some areas then switching over to ATLS in another. Say for example I have cars on Yarn highway that go at a nice clip coming into town to a signal light in ATLS. If the Yarn intersection doesn't work I'm not sure if I can switch over.

Anyways still digging.

Thanks

Sean

ATLS will work fine with the railroad crossings and the roads. The YARN roads will work fine to create whatever you want with the ATLS components. What won't work are the YARN intersections. They were scenery anyway with MO-Crossings to allow for fake traffic light operations. If you want to create working intersections, you need to "roll your own" using the ATLS system. Lay the roads down, and connect up the signals as outline in the tutorials.

About YARN:

Maddy Cushing developed "Yet Another Road Network", aka YARN back when we had issues with cars floating above the surface, which was an issue from the beginnings of Trainz time to TRS2009 or so when her very easy-to-use system was created. While showing their age today, the components are still quite useful, and are easily reskinned. I for example, have reskinned some of her roads, removed traffic, and even turned some into one way thoroughfares. Outside of the scripting for the intersections, there's nothing complex with her assets, which in this day and age is a welcomed thing.

With that said, Streadway and others developed what was called the YARNish system, meaning they're based on the YARN system but with some extras and some improvements. Among the improvements is faster speeds, more useful components such as various lanes and offramps, tunnels, and sunken roads configurations to allow for boulevards running under bridges complete with retaining walls. While this system is based on the YARN, the components will work and interchange with them, however, there are some incompatibilities as well such as the visible bump between the road heights. YARNish roads also don't work with YARN intersections, or the hard-wired Grade Xing US series of grade crossings. There's a visible height difference caused by some "fixes" in the version that force the roads over the tracks rather than through them, which causes the tracks to be completely blanked out.

Since the development of the two systems, N3V has ruined both in some fashion in addition to the one mentioned above with the YARNish. Their code improvements have broken the generic animated scenery traffic lights, broke the road connections to the intersections, and even when repairing the intersections, broke the invisible road connections by incorrectly lining up the ends so that the spline roads don't connect properly. With that said as well, there are some replacement assets for these that have repaired the intersections such as Jon's (jjeff1955) Jons YARN V4 intersection, for example.

So basically in 2019 it's going to be hit or miss? I'll tread carefully and keep my expectations low and hope for the best.

I've noticed some weird stuff such as cars passing (which is cool) going through the median (not cool). Good to know that the Yarn intersections are basically static scenery and nothing else (with the exception of some flashing lights).

Thanks for your help.

Sean

ATLS is very versatile in what it can do. I have manipulated it to do many things with boats, trains, traffic & planes. My ATLS demo shows a lot of different set ups and uses. It is a bit dated so I am trying to bring it up to TRS19 standard with the newer assets available.

So basically in 2019 it's going to be hit or miss? I'll tread carefully and keep my expectations low and hope for the best.

I've noticed some weird stuff such as cars passing (which is cool) going through the median (not cool). Good to know that the Yarn intersections are basically static scenery and nothing else (with the exception of some flashing lights).

Thanks for your help.

Sean

Yeah the passing thing is cool but not. That goes back to TS12 and nothing to do with the roads.

I've just been looking at those Youtube tutorials by Approach Medium mentioned earlier. They are very good but a little out of date.

ATLS crossings can now be set up a little faster using the Controller/Slave asset. It's a combination of both Controller and Slave in one, (as you might expect). This can be placed on a live line close to the controlled crossing so you only need the Triggers.
Extra assets can be controlled by the Slave/Trigger which replaces the ols Slave.

The latest pdf Tutorials are here http://www.boatztrainz.co.uk/tutorials.html

Enjoy,

Boat

Back