needing help. C-19 RGS tender length

Hi all.
I've gone through my books but found nothing. Please, what is the lenght in ft and inches of the C-19 RGS tender shell. just the body shell please. Thank you in advance.

If you haven't looked in The RGS Story Vol. 12, I'd be glad to look for you. I assume you are asking about the tenders that #40 and #41 used?

William

i used some measurements of the loco wheels, used them to scale the tender, and it seems the tender was about 30 feet. (not an exact number!!!)

Hello. Yes, those two . i do not have access to this series. thank you

It appears that the tender shell as delivered from Baldwin to the D&RG was 17' 6" long and 6' 8" wide. By the time they made it to the RGS, the auxiliary tank had been moved from the rear footplate of the tender to sit on top of the rear of the tender shell and the coal bunker sides were extended upward by a couple of feet.

Here is a link to a page that dates various shots of #41 during her RGS years that might be of help.
https://www.cumbrestoltec.org/images/stories/Dorman_Catalog/RD161_RGS_Locomotive_41_Catalog.pdf

Here is a best shot of the tender of #40 I could find.

http://blackstonemodels.com/new/c19/c19historyind.php?l=40

William

Last edited:
oh, i was way off lol, some good finds

I bet you got fool by the fact that everything was a lot smaller than you would think. The RGS was built with 35 lb rail so the wheels are really small but look normal in photos. When the D&RGW started to replace narrow gauge track with standard gauge the RGS was able to get second hand 55 lb rail. That was a big upgrade.

I saw a Youtube video interview with a couple of guys who worked on the line till the end. They were laughing when the interviewer asked about derailments. He thought that would be a big problem but they said that as long as the loco or tender stayed upright they could use the rerailer and the long pry bar that you can see hanging from the side of the tender to get the loco or tender back on the rail in about 20 minutes. The RGS never used ballast so the ties just sunk into the ground in most places. That meant you just had to lift the derailed wheel about 4 inches to get it back on the rail.

Back