Who lives the closest to a railroad track ?

MP242

TRS2006 PRR Enola-Conway
Who lives the closest to an active railroad track ?

I live @ 1000' away from an active railroad mainline railroad track :cool:

I have the most wonderful railroad background sound effects, whilst playing Trainz :cool:

When a train goes into emergency braking at 3:24 AM, it absolutely startles me right outa' bed :eek:

The closest house on the block is @ 500' away (or less) from the railroad track.

I wouldn't want to live any closer to an active railroad mainline track !

We have has 3 minor/major derailments in the past 20 years time, one was very catastrophic, railcars were absolutely everywhere !

When the Autumn comes, and all the Autumn leaves fall off the trees, I can finally see the trains quite clearly again.

Visitors to our house remark, when a blaringly loud train is rudely passing by: "OMG those trains are Right There" ! :eek: "How can you stand it" ?

When trucks and cars on the highway, and jet airport traffic, is all going by at the same time as a passing freight train, you can't even hear each other talk !

Last edited:
I am about a half mile away from an active branch line, but where I used to live a friend had a house with tracks right behind his backyard fence. He got a great deal on the house because of it, and it did not bother him at all, he liked trains.

I live 150 feet from the runaround track at the Bellevue Ohio rail yard

If you live that close to railroad tracks, you should be making video tapes, or audio sound effects tapes, and selling them to people :cool:

Is that a very busy railroad viewing location ? You must be in your glory ?

I just love when a train comes to a halt, and idles forever, right down the street ! Music to my ears :cool:

Last edited:
I live 1100 Ft. from CSX's Burt Line, NS's Weber connector (Dayton District) and NS's Sandusky District, all running parallel to each other. Homeless people keep getting hit there. :(

I live 6000 ft from the CN Newmarket Sub, I can hear the train horns blowing everyday due to the crossing nearby, how it changed from nice sounding K5LAs to dull or sometimes screeching K5CA-LSs.

Used to live about 100ft away from main Adelaide to Melbourne main line , my son ( who has autism ) used to get upset when the Overland used to get delayed as he liked predictability. Recently we lived for a year about 100 metres away from Seaford rail terminus , but we just moved back to our old house so we are now 1.8 km away from the nearest railway .

... in my backyard ... vid is from my kitchenwindow .. just at the end of a noise barrier ...
from my trainz-playground i see every train passing by like an extra screen ... same freights as in sim and real h0-track ... what a wonderful life ...

now, i live across town from the tracks, but my dad almost bought a house that had tracks in our front yard (it was the porch, sidewalk, road, and then tracks)

The houses on this street are my 'Dream Houses', to the left is the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's mainline. I would just sit on the porch and watch as Southern 4501 and 630 parade by over and over pulling people on excursions: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0643013,-85.2468855,3a,75y,67.27h,92.56t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYMOPUS07UE_gU3ZRPabmuQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664
I would also decorate the front of my house with all sorts of railroad memorabilia, i.e. railroad crossing signs, semaphore signals, a switchstand, etc.

Last edited:
Hello i live next to the union pacific line in tooele utah that goes to las vegas nevada lots of trains in the early morning and night because of psr the railroads are doing now.

I live about a mile from both UP and BNSF mainline tracks. They crossover here in Jonesboro and both have small yards here also.

Well I've just checked on google maps and it turns out I'm only 130m away from the SE&CR mainline from Victoria to Dover. As it's generally 3rd rail electrics, we don't hear a lot, though some diesels on freight and the occasional steam excursion go through. Hadn't realised I was so close!

Paul

Well I live just a mile away from CSX's Western and Atlantic Division, the only problem is that I've got a mountain between me and the railroad tracks.

Im about a mile from the CSX Hanover Subdivision (and yes, it was the first Dovetail's TS route i bought in over 3 years) The way the wind blows, sometimes depending on where you are, you can hear the cars slamming the diamond in town from my house. (the diamond was just removed) Also a shortline that has tackage in town (hanover)

My last place was about 1000' from the Southern Pacific (now UP) line running through Atascadero, Calif.
Now I'm about 9 miles away from the rails. UP doesn't seem to be running much freight on the line locally anyway.

I briefly looked at a place that was right next to the rails and envisioned mounting cameras to record the trains. It would have been a terrible place if there was a derailment.

Back