Sound files of loco playing intermittently

RobKi

When I run the 0-4-0T New Hope Valley 17 steam engine <kuid:660648:100896>, the sound is OK until the loco speeds up. Chuff, chuff, faster with every controller step (simple mode). But when the loco is running above 4 mph, the relevant sound files are not being looped constantly. Instead, the fast chuffs are audible for 3 secs, then remain silent for 10s, followed by another 3 sec burst of (correct) sound, and so on.

I guess there's something in a config.txt file or something. Or is the loco too old to be used in T:ANE? Any hints would be appreciated.

Might check the sound file with something like Audacity and make sure silence did not somehow creep into the file. It sounds like it is repeating, so unless there is a delay built-in somewhere in the loop, it might be in the file...

Thanks Forester1, I inspected the steam audio files contained in <kuid2 123250 1126 1> Steam Soundz_ Modern. There are 16 complete loops without silence. The series corresponds with the rpm (revs per minute) - of the wheels, I presume. The longest, for the slowest 30rpm, is 7secs long. The faster ones, from 60 rpm upwards, are all just 3 or 2 secs long.

Could it be that the playback duration of 7secs, which fits only the slow loops, is somehow fixed? If so, where? That would explain why the shorter loops are repeated every 7seconds, causing silences between each instance.

When I run the 0-4-0T New Hope Valley 17 steam engine <kuid:660648:100896>, the sound is OK until the loco speeds up. Chuff, chuff, faster with every controller step (simple mode). But when the loco is running above 4 mph, the relevant sound files are not being looped constantly. Instead, the fast chuffs are audible for 3 secs, then remain silent for 10s, followed by another 3 sec burst of (correct) sound, and so on.

I guess there's something in a config.txt file or something. Or is the loco too old to be used in T:ANE? Any hints would be appreciated.
This is a reskin by Dap of one of Ben Neal's older locos. The script for the loco used to handle the exhaust cuffs but it was broken back in TS12 - intentionally by an N3V update. Basically the API used to determine the length of time each sound file played and return it to the script but after the update it returned 1.0 so broke any script that relied on that behavior. Actually the newer TS09 engine sounds can handle all this so I'd disable the sound option in the script and update the drive bogey to work properly.

The sounds are fixable if you are willing to edit one of the script files and the drive wheel bogey's config. Both can be edited easily using a simple ascii text editor like Notepad that comes with Windows. Someone may already have updated this loco I'm sure I discussed this years ago. I didn't find an updated one on the DLS however.

The edits aren't difficult to make and if you mess up you can just delete the asset and re download from the DLS. Personally I'd clone the loco and drive bogey and make changes to the cloned versions but that requires additional change to the loco config.

Open the loco asset <kuid:660648:100896> 0-4-0T New Hope Valley 17 for editing in CM and edit the script file SteamLocomotive0905.gs in the open folder:
Find the following function in the file and make change shown in red:
Code:
    public void Init(void)
    {
        inherited();
        //Interface.Log("***** " + myName + " Init in loco called *****");
        //Interface.Print(myName + " Init in loco called");
        meAsset = GetAsset();
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]//[/COLOR]SoundSetup();
    }

In CM open the config file for asset <kuid:32711:100431> 0-4-0T 30 drivers and add the tag shown in red near the top of the config:
Code:
kind                                    "bogey"
animdist                                2.71216
[COLOR="#FF0000"]direct-drive 1[/COLOR]
mesh-table
{
  {
    mesh                                "gp30_b1.im"
    auto-create                         1
    animation-loop-speed                1
  }
}

... following tags not shown

Save the edits and submit the loco and drive bogey assets.

The enginespec and enginesounds are both the newer type (TS09 versions) so should be ok. The enginespec contains an obselete throttle-power container but I don't think it will effect the sounds.

Good luck,
Bob Pearson

Thank you for those detailed pointers, Bob. The operation was performed painlessly, and with a good result. The chuff sounds are now looping without gaps, and keep pace with the rpm of the wheels.
Much appreciated!

Back