USA: The Train Horn Rule and Quiet Zones

They do not do that where I live, about 2mi. from CN(was GTW) track and there are 7 grade crossings in one mile, they just blast away.

I greeted a new neighbor, that moved into the neighborhood, who's house is at the very end of the block, 500' from the railroad track (they never even researched the area for railroad tracks), and they asked me how many trains pass by, and I replied: "On a good day there can be 75 freight trains per 24 hour period" ! On a bad day you might see 25 per 24 hour period". "I sure hope you like railroad train sound effects" ! :cool: From the look on their faces, they seemed that they were not as thrilled about railroad trains being so close.

I have absolutely wonderful railroad train sound effects, @ 1000' right down the street, 24 hours per day, complete with the soothing DingDingDingDing, clanging railroad crossing gate bells, and the WahhhhWahhhhWahhhh locomotive blaring horns, in the middle of the night.

It's no wonder I like Trainz, it's just like living there ! :cool: WooooooWooooooDingDingDingDingDing

They do not do that where I live, about 2mi. from CN(was GTW) track and there are 7 grade crossings in one mile, they just blast away.
That sounds heavenly :cool:

Last edited:
I'm 2 to 3 miles from the tracks and I listen for the hornz and bellz in the wee hours of each day. When the commuter train passes the station to reverse before it pulls into the platform for its return trip, I can hear the bell and multiple horn blasts if the wind is right.

Where I lived, the railroad reluctantly was put under a no-horn rule. The horns were blown daily from 1842 to 1995. No one complained until 1995 when a bunch of NIMBYs bought some condos next to the railroad. They plunked down $395K back in 1998 for apartments located where there was once a warehouse and railroad sidings. Yeah they are that close to the tracks.

Oh no, the trains make noise they said so they petitioned the state, town and government hard for no horns. Finally, the end was in sight when they won. The NIMBYs got their way and then they thought just because the train engineers no longer blow horns they can now jump the crossings. There were multiple collisions between trains and cars for quite some time afterwards.

When I lived near Greenville NC, my new home sat just 40 yards away from Coastal Carolina Railway (CLNA). Loved every horn blast and "clickkity click" sound it made! (There was a grade crossing nearby.) My complaint would be that there wasn't enough of it. Sadly, I wasn't as much a rail fan in those days and I did not take advantage as I should have (photos, vids, etc) but I loved the trains and the wonderful sounds they made. My love of trains sounds in general began when I was young. The old Milwaukee road ran through our farmland and I could watch trains pass from my living room.

its so sad, there are so many people moving in to towns or setting up a company right next to the tracks, they choose where they live, so the no horn rule should be abolished in my eyes. Ive never seen a car VS train collision but i saw aftermath once at a no horn crossing. CSX train hit a car at 60 MPH, the car was destroyed, The person had only stopped listening to the warning bells when the horns stopped getting blown.

Back