Lost all pick lists, bookmarks, and all settings to default

wflint

Yesterday, my route was working perfectly. No faulty, missing, or unknown assets.

Today on start-up, Lost all pick lists, bookmarks, and all in-game settings to went to "default"; plus lots of new unknown, faulty dependencies, etc.

Is there a magic file somewhere that I can use to restore the above?

btw, re-installed yesterdays route.cdp but no help.

Thanks

Picklists are not stored in the route or a session. Not sure which in game settings you are referring to but many are stored in a session, others are stored with the program not the route or session. Bookmarks I do not know about but I would suspect they are probably stored with the route.

Have you somehow changed your user data location?
Have you tried a DBR or an EDBR?

PS: I keep backups of all my picklists. It also makes it easier to copy the picklists between different copies of Trainz. See the Trainz Wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Backup_a_Picklist

Last edited:
I save my route and session to cdp, how does one save the pick list???

Picklists are not stored in the route or a session. Not sure which in game settings you are referring to but many are stored in a session, others are stored with the program not the route or session. Bookmarks I do not know about but I would suspect they are probably stored with the route.

PS: I keep backups of all my picklists. It also makes it easier to copy the picklists between different copies of Trainz. See the Trainz Wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Backup_a_Picklist

Thanks pware.
No change to user data location.
Trainz automatically did a DBR and an EDBR

Route was mostly restored by re-installing latest .cdp; pick lists needed culling anyway so no big loss there.
Loss of sessions probably accounts for other lost items.
Guess big question is: why the sudden crash? More incentive to backup often.

Thanks pware.
No change to user data location.
Trainz automatically did a DBR and an EDBR

Route was mostly restored by re-installing latest .cdp; pick lists needed culling anyway so no big loss there.
Loss of sessions probably accounts for other lost items.
Guess big question is: why the sudden crash? More incentive to backup often.

If you've had a crash while the database files are being written to, it will be completely trashed. What usually occurs after a big crash like this is exactly what you saw, and the EDR will be started to recover the content.

I agree this is why backups are important. They don't always save the latest work, but at least they can get you to a place where you can go forward. I have found, though, crashes like this in TRS2019 are rare compared to T:ANE, and when they occur it's a much more serious cause.

I agree too. What was serious enough to cause this catastrophic data loss?

I have seen corrupted routes and sessions cause a CTD as the content is precaching.
I have seen routes just crash and some content just crash, but usually due to some other cause such as a bad mesh, scripted asset, or really faulty texture.

The only way to find out who caused this big crash is do a forensic test and go through the process of elimination. Disable all but built-in, run a DBR, and then load up the route. If it doesn't crash, then enable a 100 or so assets, do a DBR, test the route again, and repeat the process until the crash occurs. Once you get to that point, back off by disabling fewer and fewer assets until you find the culprit.

If you've had a crash while the database files are being written to, it will be completely trashed. What usually occurs after a big crash like this is exactly what you saw, and the EDR will be started to recover the content.

I agree this is why backups are important. They don't always save the latest work, but at least they can get you to a place where you can go forward. I have found, though, crashes like this in TRS2019 are rare compared to T:ANE, and when they occur it's a much more serious cause.

I agree too. What was serious enough to cause this catastrophic data loss?

I have seen corrupted routes and sessions cause a CTD as the content is precaching.
I have seen routes just crash and some content just crash, but usually due to some other cause such as a bad mesh, scripted asset, or really faulty texture.

The only way to find out who caused this big crash is do a forensic test and go through the process of elimination. Disable all but built-in, run a DBR, and then load up the route. If it doesn't crash, then enable a 100 or so assets, do a DBR, test the route again, and repeat the process until the crash occurs. Once you get to that point, back off by disabling fewer and fewer assets until you find the culprit.

Thanks JCitron. All good stuff.
Cause could be having to use Task Manager to shut down after TRS19 CM freezes.

Thanks JCitron. All good stuff.
Cause could be having to use Task Manager to shut down after TRS19 CM freezes.

Yikes! Most definitely a cause. If TRS2019 is running, let it finish up and don't end the task, otherwise, mean things happen to the database.

Yikes! Most definitely a cause. If TRS2019 is running, let it finish up and don't end the task, otherwise, mean things happen to the database.

All true, but what alternative does one have when CM hangs for long periods? All control over the program is frozen except task manager.
Tried waiting it out but, when CM fails to respond after a very long period, task manager seems to be the only way to restore a working CM.

btw, CM hangs often during heavy use when re-skinning, etc.; opening for edit, submitting for edit.

All true, but what alternative does one have when CM hangs for long periods? All control over the program is frozen except task manager.
Tried waiting it out but, when CM fails to respond after a very long period, task manager seems to be the only way to restore a working CM.

btw, CM hangs often during heavy use when re-skinning, etc.; opening for edit, submitting for edit.

Unfortunately, this might be the case for killing it, but there's usually an underlying cause.

Big assets take a lot of resources to submit. The problem is once you've killed the process, there's a chance you have corrupted something which will require extensive rebuilding and possibly redownloading of content if the data has become corrupted.

If your machine is underpowered, or not working to its full potential, the program will hang. There's a few things that can help here.

1) Increase the virtual memory size (page file size). Make this at the minimum 1-1/2 time the size of your installed RAM. (DIMMs). If this doesn't work, increase it. Twice the size usually works quite well. Set the minimum and maximum to be the same size manually and don't let the system manage that the swap file size.

2) Defragment your hard drives if not using an SSD. In fact do this before increasing the size of your page file.

3) Ensure there's adequate space on your hard drives. If there's not a lot of space, consider adding in another drive and moving your Trainz content to that drive. The program can stay where it is.

Adding additional RAM (DIMMs) can definitely help as well, and if you do that increase the size of your page file accordingly.

Unfortunately, this might be the case for killing it, but there's usually an underlying cause.

Big assets take a lot of resources to submit. The problem is once you've killed the process, there's a chance you have corrupted something which will require extensive rebuilding and possibly redownloading of content if the data has become corrupted.

If your machine is underpowered, or not working to its full potential, the program will hang. There's a few things that can help here.

1) Increase the virtual memory size (page file size). Make this at the minimum 1-1/2 time the size of your installed RAM. (DIMMs). If this doesn't work, increase it. Twice the size usually works quite well. Set the minimum and maximum to be the same size manually and don't let the system manage that the swap file size.

2) Defragment your hard drives if not using an SSD. In fact do this before increasing the size of your page file.

3) Ensure there's adequate space on your hard drives. If there's not a lot of space, consider adding in another drive and moving your Trainz content to that drive. The program can stay where it is.

Adding additional RAM (DIMMs) can definitely help as well, and if you do that increase the size of your page file accordingly.

1] As my page file size was set to default, I have 16GB RAM so bumped it to a 16000MB-18000MB range to see if that helps.
3] My "games" are on a 1TB SSD so space is not a problem.

Thanks again for spending so much of your time responding to this.

AV scanning and Windows Indexing and some anti malware stuff can slow things down, excluding Trainz and your local data from any on access scanning and disabling indexing might help but as said some assets can take a long time to commit.

Good place to find out if either are interfering or if indeed Trainz is still doing something on the drive is use performance monitor on the Disk and see if anything else is accessing the files at the same time. I found Defender was until I excluded the drive.

Back