The Way it Was: CSX's Bone Valley 1995

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
Danny Harmon's first railfan video shot in 1995 of the Bone Valley operations in Central Florida. Back in this time, he actually was able to do in-cab videos. We get to see the engineer control his train at 0.2-0.3 mph (0.32 - 0.48 kph) through a mine loader.

https://youtu.be/TckHGVzvGeU

Loved it, hope he keeps showing the old videos because there are a lot of REALLY good shots in that

I agree! There must be a lot of great videos in there in addition to this one. This is also stuff that we can learn a lot from on operations and setups as well.

Great video! Excuse my ignorance, but aren't hoppers made to dump out the bottom? Why do I see so many instances of having to decouple cars and turn them over? It's great fun to watch, but spurs my curiosity. Is it faster? Easier? Do the bottom dumps have to be opened and closed by hand?

Great video! Excuse my ignorance, but aren't hoppers made to dump out the bottom? Why do I see so many instances of having to decouple cars and turn them over? It's great fun to watch, but spurs my curiosity. Is it faster? Easier? Do the bottom dumps have to be opened and closed by hand?

it is much faster to flip em over rather than off load from the bottom.

Thanks MP242, i went back through that whole section again. I must have been distracted before, I picked up more about the rotary couplers and the idler cars as well!

Back