Thread: The Way it Was: CSX's Bone Valley 1995

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Default The Way it Was: CSX's Bone Valley 1995

Danny Harmon's first railfan video shot in 1995 of the Bone Valley operations in Central Florida. Back in this time, he actually was able to do in-cab videos. We get to see the engineer control his train at 0.2-0.3 mph (0.32 - 0.48 kph) through a mine loader.

https://youtu.be/TckHGVzvGeU
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

Loved it, hope he keeps showing the old videos because there are a lot of REALLY good shots in that

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by kcwright_rm View Post
    Loved it, hope he keeps showing the old videos because there are a lot of REALLY good shots in that
    I agree! There must be a lot of great videos in there in addition to this one. This is also stuff that we can learn a lot from on operations and setups as well.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 106618

that shot where the guy throws the switch and the camera is pointing up is absolutely mint

Great video! Excuse my ignorance, but aren't hoppers made to dump out the bottom? Why do I see so many instances of having to decouple cars and turn them over? It's great fun to watch, but spurs my curiosity. Is it faster? Easier? Do the bottom dumps have to be opened and closed by hand?
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Quarantining Since March 1st In Front Of My PC

See min 37:00 for explanation
    Please, all I ask, please wear a mask

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Great video! Excuse my ignorance, but aren't hoppers made to dump out the bottom? Why do I see so many instances of having to decouple cars and turn them over? It's great fun to watch, but spurs my curiosity. Is it faster? Easier? Do the bottom dumps have to be opened and closed by hand?
    it is much faster to flip em over rather than off load from the bottom.

As a big fan of Danny's and friends with him on Facebook, I love his videos. So informative and very knowledgeable.
    "There is a way out of every box, a solution to every puzzle; it's just a matter of finding it." -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Thanks MP242, i went back through that whole section again. I must have been distracted before, I picked up more about the rotary couplers and the idler cars as well!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.