Session screwed up under beta

Yorkshire

After quite a long lay off during summer have returned to working on one of my layouts. I began by downloading the beta to bring it up to 109037. This was probably a big mistake! When I open a session it had placed a few of my consists in the top corner of the layout under a hill with the message 'derailed'. A steam train emerges from a portal (which it is programmed to do as part of the session) but minus the carriages and when you click on it, it can't be selected. What is going on? Is this to be expected with the beta? I have saved the layout and session with a new name hoping that this would be a cure - same result! It seems to have screwed up the portal manager and elements of the session. Frustrating!

That's awful! Hopefully you have a backup of your data and your previous version. This is why it's called a beta. Beta versions are for testing and reporting problems.

There's not much that can be done unless you have a backup to replace what you have and use the currently installed version for further testing.

Thanks, your reply set in a train of thought. Saved the other layouts as CDP without opening, then can re download the programme and reinstall. Understand about beta, just didn't think at this stage it would be so catastrophic!! Oh well, live & learn.

Thanks, your reply set in a train of thought. Saved the other layouts as CDP without opening, then can re download the programme and reinstall. Understand about beta, just didn't think at this stage it would be so catastrophic!! Oh well, live & learn.

Yeah. I've gotten burned too thinking the same that's why I mentioned it. I'm glad you've got that backup.

There's one thing I discovered recently with this stuff. Even if there's no sign of missing dependencies, run the delete missing dependencies utility. This appears to clean up weird things with routes and sessions. As always... have a back up just in case.

Haven't there been updates for the Portal managers and such like? might be worth checking for updates for them and various scripts and ATLS stuff as much of it has been updated by creators over the last few months.

Why does this sound familiar to me ?

After quite a long lay off during summer have returned to working on one of my layouts. I began by downloading the beta to bring it up to 109037. This was probably a big mistake! When I open a session it had placed a few of my consists in the top corner of the layout under a hill with the message 'derailed'. A steam train emerges from a portal (which it is programmed to do as part of the session) but minus the carriages and when you click on it, it can't be selected. What is going on? Is this to be expected with the beta? I have saved the layout and session with a new name hoping that this would be a cure - same result! It seems to have screwed up the portal manager and elements of the session. Frustrating!

On this point:

"A steam train emerges from a portal (which it is programmed to do as part of the session) but minus the carriages and when you click on it, it can't be selected. "

It may be that it can't be selected because it is not completely out of the portal yet !

Try this:

use the " Edit Trains " drag tool and see if you can pull the engine and the rest of the consist out of the portal.

Have you ever read this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?160134-Portals-not-working-a-plague-returns!

Maybe if they have screwed this up again in the Beta maybe they will finally look at what they have done to cause this problem which I have said before has happened when TANE was new and I recently experienced it in TRS 2019.

Good luck

Willy

Hi Willy

Thanks for the advice but the second time it happened, I let the steamer run well out of the portal and down towards the station - it still could not be selected. Just screwed up basically!

I seem to remember a problem where a train exits the portal and passes the point where the first command starts before completely exiting the portal. User unable to control the train, could be what you are seeing.

Rob

Back