How much should I charge for requests to make content?

janathan

Recently, I received a request to make a huge chunk of Metro-North and LIRR locomotives. Namely, the MN M1/M2/M3, LIRR M1/M2/M3 and New Haven Line M2/M4/M6. He offered to pay me for these, but I'm not sure how much to charge. Here's a picture of one of the M1/M2/M3's I'm working on:
(https://www.youtube.com/post/UgxMCVDxa-gntRm6I314AaABCQ)
How much money do you think these should be worth?

There's no black or white answer. Charge what you think your time and work are worth and what your customer is willing to pay.

Matt

Realistically at minimum wage the model would probably cost too much. If it's a commission then sometimes putting it up onto the DLS is acceptable so that's a sort of build it rather than something else, sometimes you can sell copies at a later date over time. I've paid for hardware upgrade for some things I requested that went on to the DLS.

paultrainz sells a very wide variety of assets but others find the costs are not covered by the number of sales and what people are prepared to pay. The DLS has some excellent assets at a very low cost.

Cheerio John

Hi Jan --

"How much money do you think these should be worth?"

How much do you value your time? Maybe $15/h?

How many hours do you think you might spend on all those locomotives? Several hundred hours?

Would your customer be prepared to pay that amount? Possibly not.

So you probably would have to charge what the customer is prepared to pay. How eager is he? What is the competition? Will you also be able to sell the product to others or is it for the exclusive use of the customer?

There is no easy answer. It's difficult. Maybe use the K&L and JointedRail pricing as a guide if you can sell the resulting product to other customers.

Phil

Also how much demand would there be for it? When Trainz first came out you could get 5,000 downloads and now 300 for the same thing but much better model.

The Content Creation Program sounds like a much better option as I wouldn't have to charge as much. He never really stated how much he was willing to pay anyway. Plus I'm not sure if he could afford $15 per hour for this project.

If one person is requesting something I would simply:
1.) provide the hours it would take you to create and provide it (including all testing, etc,).
2.) ask them how much they are willing to pay for the item, then negotiate.
3.) negotiate a timeframe for delivery and payment plan (have them pay something up front and again halfway through in case they back out at some point).

In an informal request such as this things can go wrong (on both sides) rather quickly I would think.

If you decide to sell the item to others then you must decide for yourself if this "first sell" is costed out with that in mind. ie: Not a special "commission" sale but just the first sale of many.

Well, as a purely hobbyist creator, I do need requests - or at least ideas - to decide what to make next. Not sure I'd be willing to pay for them, though.

Oops, misunderstood the question... :D

Well, as a purely hobbyist creator, I do need requests - or at least ideas - to decide what to make next. Not sure I'd be willing to pay for them, though.

Oops, misunderstood the question... :D

Oh I don't know, if it comes with plans and photos ie the research side is all done it does make it much easier on the content creator.

Cheerio John

Back